The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Rob you were right on the money... I did the pads today, the Pistons are fine. The slide pads are not allowing the pads to move freely. I got them working well enough, but will have to take the calipers out, take the rusty cap nuts out that hold the slide pads and clean everything up to really get things free.

Two questions:
First , what is the torque spec on the 19 mm caliper bolts to the upright? And

second, part number on the slide pad cap nut? Or where to buy them? I suppose it's something maybe I should just go to McMaster Carr for, but the head looks wide so was thinking maybe to stay oem
The part number for the slide repair kit is on PET 602-01 & 603-00. The repair kit give you new slide plates and the respective screws.

Front = 964-351-959-00
Rear (C4 - 4 piston)) = 993-352-959-00
Rear (C2 early - 2 piston) = ?? <not listed in PET>
Old 03-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 425 Likes on 276 Posts

Thanks Rob - I appreciate it - I'd like to just buy the Cap head screws though - since the plates are stainless - they should be easily re-usable - but the screws look to me like I'll chew them up getting them out - so before doing that, I need to source the correct cap head bolts for all four calipers.

i read on the 928 forum where guys needed alot of heat to loosen the loctite 270 (high strength) in order to get those bolts to budge.

but if I have to spend hundreds to get the plates, just to get the capheads, then I'd be better off sending the calipers out for full rebuild and paint...
Old 03-18-2015, 11:43 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

That's my understanding too. You need an acetylene torch to heat the screws. As for the cost, I checked Sunset Porsche, the slider kits are $37 each.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Goughary
Race Car

didnt sunset open an online ecommerce site? not that I don't want to call and talk to bob - but sometimes its just easier to shop from my phone with no one listening...
Old 03-18-2015, 01:38 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

second, part number on the slide pad cap nut? Or where to buy them? I suppose it's something maybe I should just go to McMaster Carr for, but the head looks wide so was thinking maybe to stay oem
Old 03-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

didnt sunset open an online ecommerce site? not that I don't want to call and talk to bob - but sometimes its just easier to shop from my phone with no one listening...
Yes, they have a website. Its http://www.porschepartshub.com/
Old 03-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Goughary
Race Car

so I called Sunset - they cant sell the Cap nuts for the caliper spring plates separately - 37 is a good price - but there are two per caliper and so thats 37 times 8....which when the spring plates are perfectly fine, it's silly to spend the money. so on to McMaster Carr for stainless cap nuts.

Question is - does anyone know the exact size of that metric cap nut? looks like an M8? and then length? its not listed in PET. Maybe I need to call Brembo....
Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you check on the pistons Goughary? Just press pedal and watch movement?

Side note; going to swap the steering rack bushings tomorrow; the work manual is somewhat confusing. Is the clamp that holds them considered the "Steering Gear to Crossmember" mount, which is 33ft lbs of torque. Or is it 17ft lbs?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
How did you check on the pistons Goughary? Just press pedal and watch movement? Side note; going to swap the steering rack bushings tomorrow; the work manual is somewhat confusing. Is the clamp that holds them considered the "Steering Gear to Crossmember" mount, which is 33ft lbs of torque. Or is it 17ft lbs?
Alex I pushed the Pistons back and they moved...so I didn't really check them. The seals look fine on first inspection. At some point I'll have to pull the seals out and do all that. But the clear thing here was that the pads were dead stuck on one side. Impossible to move or to remove from the caliper. I'm assuming there was room enough when the calipers were hot to get dirt and funk built up behind the spring plates, and as soon as they come out and all is clean, the pads will move freely. But for now, they are sticky. The spring plates aren't worn out, so I just need to take out the two pan head bolts that hold them in and clean them up and reinstall. But there's enough info on rennlist for me to know to not take those out and expect to reuse the bolts. Apparently most times they just don't wanna budge. So as soon as I find out what size, I'll order a bunch from McMaster Carr and get this done. Hopefully before April 19 C&C...but that's not looking likely at the moment.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
How did you check on the pistons Goughary? Just press pedal and watch movement?

Side note; going to swap the steering rack bushings tomorrow; the work manual is somewhat confusing. Is the clamp that holds them considered the "Steering Gear to Crossmember" mount, which is 33ft lbs of torque. Or is it 17ft lbs?
IIRC 33Ft lbs is correct.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:29 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
IIRC 33Ft lbs is correct.
Sounds right, it is 41 Nm.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was a bit premature to ask. The very last allen bolt decided to not want to come out, got all the others loose. Will probably need to drill it out as its starting to spin.

However my main problem at the moment is getting the OEM shift components back in after I decided not to drill the shift tunnel on my own. Any tips on getting the ball cup back on the shifter rod? Couldn't quite get on it with a C-clamp, and when I tried to use a jack per some other thread on the forum, it just started to lift up the front of the car off the jackstands.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

To "press" the shifter ball joints together, I found the best way was to use some long reach channel lock pliers (similar to the photo below). I would place the cup over the ball and then use the pliers to squeeze it together. It was easy once I found this method.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:06 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cabriolet

should I be spraying a water sealer on my top?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:10 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

About the shifter rod. I used my floor jack and just pressed the cup upwards.

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...