Sponsored by:

So It Begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

What made you change from Elihu's ****? Let me know your thoughts. I was thinking i would like a round ball for the feel of it. Extra weight would be nice too.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What made you change from Elihu's ****? Let me know your thoughts. I was thinking i would like a round ball for the feel of it. Extra weight would be nice too.
I love Elihu's shifter **** but when I saw the Function First one I couldn't resist and the shaft is all machined to fit the lever perfectly, so no compromises. It is very heavy if you like to feel weight and the shifts are solid and direct.

First pic of it fitted just sent to me from John. The screws on the passenger footrest still need painting but that's happening this afternoon.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Chaps,

Well, I'm pleased to say the re-trim is all finished and I have the car home at last.
I'm delighted with the finish which has stayed true to my original concept, that of a making a Classic 964, not to everyone's tastes perhaps but I couldn't be happier.

The Function- First Classic gear **** was the last of the interior jobs to be completed. It's a quality piece of work manufactured out of high grade alloy. It feels great in the palm and has a beautiful direct feel. Highly recommended

Anyway here are the final shots of the new interior showing the various features I've tried to incorporate. Too many for me to bother mentioning them again but I hope you enjoy spotting them.

There are a couple of jobs left which are as mentioned, new engine mounts, camber plates, top mounts, drop links and bushes all round, front & rear. The bushes etc. are all Power-Flex Black the rest of the kit is all Rennline, to compliment the other Rennline parts already fitted. The Rennline bushes would be a little too hard for mostly road use. The engine mounts are the semi-solid adjustables. I'm hoping this is only a couple of days work. The engine mounts shouldn't be too much problem to remove after the new engine was installed.

It would have been better to have fitted all these parts beforehand but build (and other) slots together with not knowing if the budgets would be over-run dictated that they should be left until now.

In the meantime while I wait for the parts to arrive I'm going to do some driving......happy days

Best regards,
Paul
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (10-01-2019)
Old 07-05-2015, 05:23 PM
RDH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love It! Looks fantastic...
Old 07-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Meatball911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So It Begins

Congrats on a beautiful result!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:48 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts

Absolutely stunning.....the only words I can think to describe it
Old 07-07-2015, 07:14 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Holy crap! That looks great. Bet your over the moon with it. And well done on going red, can't beat it in a 911. One question Paul, are your metal drilled foot rest things the rennline ones? I've struggled to find ones for a rhd car with the early pedal box. Jim.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Congrats on a beautiful result!
Thanks RDH!

Absolutely stunning.....the only words I can think to describe it
Very much appreciated Meatball911!

Holy crap! That looks great. Bet your over the moon with it. And well done on going red, can't beat it in a 911. One question Paul, are your metal drilled foot rest things the rennline ones? I've struggled to find ones for a rhd car with the early pedal box. Jim.
Hi Jim,

Thanks!

The Rennline passenger footrests for RHD cars aren't available, I tried that. We had to make ours from some alloy plate and painted it to match. Also, to stop behind it filing with dust and debris we put a back on it.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have an attention to detail that is unmatched! Car is super!

As for your engine mounts, they're really easy to change. Just support the engine and replace them one at a time.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

The car looks terrific! Good luck with the rest of the work.

A word of caution. I was replacing my engine mounts over the weekend and both bolts retaining the left side mount snapped off at exactly the same length. They both looks fine with the gold galvanisation still intact, but somehow halfway down the shaft they were both completely rotten.

Tomorrow I will attempt te extract the remainder of the bolts from the chassis.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

You have an attention to detail that is unmatched! Car is super!

As for your engine mounts, they're really easy to change. Just support the engine and replace them one at a time.
Thank you DobermanDad, that's really generous of you

Actually I can't wait to get started on the engine mounts, I going to leave the suspension parts and bushings to the pros though.

The car looks terrific! Good luck with the rest of the work.

A word of caution. I was replacing my engine mounts over the weekend and both bolts retaining the left side mount snapped off at exactly the same length. They both looks fine with the gold galvanisation still intact, but somehow halfway down the shaft they were both completely rotten.

Tomorrow I will attempt te extract the remainder of the bolts from the chassis.
Hi Johannnvb, Thanks for the advice, I saw you were having fun with those bolts, I hope you're sorted with them now.

I'm hoping mine will be easier as the new engine was installed just over a year ago.

An easy job to start with today, off with the ITG foam air-filters for cleaning. For those who don't know the process (I didn't) the cleaning fluid is massaged into the foam to break down the dust retaining oil, then washed out with warm water before re-oiling the filters when completely dry.

Anyway it's a good opportunity to see the PMO carbs again

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-09-2015, 03:47 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

paul, ......gawd!!! your car is exquisite, just absolutely exquisite. top to bottom, side to side, backwards and forwards. you killed it!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Poli84
Instructor

Congratulations Paul. Absolutely fantastic.
You must be over the moon to see your concept become a reality and have that reality finally back in the drive.

Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:19 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

paul, ......gawd!!! your car is exquisite, just absolutely exquisite. top to bottom, side to side, backwards and forwards. you killed it!
Fantastic, thank you!

Congratulations Paul. Absolutely fantastic.
You must be over the moon to see your concept become a reality and have that reality finally back in the drive.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting out and about, starting with this weekend, there's an inaugural NE1 Motorshow in Newcastle upon Tyne where the main street is closed off and invited cars will be exhibited so I'll put up a couple of photos after the weekend.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:29 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Hi Paul, excellent... love the interior!

The only thing left to do to complement the look is replacing the black window trims with bright trims. I think the contrast will look hot on a black car. Also replace the head lamps rings too with the chrome ones to complement the Fuch wheels.

My sold M5 interior with aluminium shift know. BTW, ultimatepedals.com can drill any aluminium pedals.
Name:  100_1637.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  99.2 KB
Name:  100_1638.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  93.4 KB
Name:  100_1639.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  68.1 KB

Last edited by jorijori; 07-10-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Quick Reply: So It Begins