Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:53 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

What make/type of stonechip protector are you using?

Good to see you're very determined, and patient at the same time - the results show this - nice one.. That Kenlowe's got me thinking too.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Lm964,
The stonechip and paint were purchased from CPC 'Car Paint Company' in Hayes. The manufacturer is however unknown since they purchase in bulk and put it in their own branded tins. Anybody reading this please don't misinterpret my comment as a knock to CPC or their products in anyway. They're a professional bunch and I've used the same products in other areas (smaller parts that were brought indoors to cue immediately after spraying) and they're all fine. This is an environmental issue when the stonechip was sprayed. I'm just worried that it's not going to cure properly now or at all!!!
On other vehicles I've typically used the UPOL stuff and never had an issue in lower temperatures. I may well swap back for the remainder of this rebuild.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob I can get you time in a oven if you want for a "bake" in a little Bodyshop in Ealing if you want & get it on dollys, but might be a pain in the **** & if you can find a solution it's all good in the garage were it is?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Wow - thanks for the offer fuch, that may be an option I explore if after a few weeks I'm still in the same situation. The suspension strong points are thankfully some of the few areas that have dried well so I can at least still push ahead this weekend and maybe get it back on 4 wheels. if it takes its time then I guess it takes it's time. I'll only start getting twitchy if it starts to become any more of a blocker on progress. I wanna drive this darn thing :-) but still have plenty of other areas to work on!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Made some good progress this Saturday but unfortunately I can't show you! For some reason whenever I upload a picture I just get the error message 'Invalid File' ! The pictures are within the size and dimension boundaries, and I'm not doing anything different to normal. Hmmmm. Got any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Amazing, well done ! How can you manage in such small space with no power ,
Respect !
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robt964
For some reason whenever I upload a picture I just get the error message 'Invalid File' !
You probably checked already, but a couple of things to look at; the file name (make sure it has a .jpg extension - assuming it's not .gif or.png etc already ) and also that you haven't used invalid characters in the pic file name (keep it just letters/numbers, ideally with no spaces).

Beyond that it could be the rennlist server not accepting uploads (you could always upload again an image you've successfully uploaded previously to check).

Marcus
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for tips - interestingly its decided to work today! Anyway.....

The front subframe and and services are all installed. New identically specc'd bolts throughout. (not porsche bolts since a spec bolt is a spec bolt)

Sooooooo shiney :-)

I made up all new brakelines and unions which took some time. One of the two lines which go to the M/C took three attempts since there are alot of turns over a short distance.

I've also started the plumbing for the electric powersteering pump conversion. You can see here the braided lines from the top of the rack. They pass through the bulk head into the front truck via a large pre existing perfectly placed and unused gromet. The gromet hole can just be seen on the left in the 2nd picture above.

I'll assemble the wishbones/uprights/shockers during the week. As the front 3rd of the car is coming together nicely I started move to the middle section to strip back some of the minor surface rust spots that are around and under the fuel pump cover. Found a few annoying small spots where I could push the screwdriver through :-( Only 4 or 5 small bits about the size of the end of the screwdriver but they'll need to be filled with weld. The bit that concerns me is I'll have to take the pump, fuel-lines and tank out to do so as its all too close for comfort. In typical 23year old fashion the fuel unions are now fused as one piece :-) so probably best to replace anyway. Are there any 'gotchas' with the tank removeal? Anybody got an 'order of service '

Thanks Rob
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Very impressive work
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

RE power: I Bought a 45m power extension a week back which is *just* long enough meaning I'm not limited to the 2Kw Jenny any more.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Whoaa Rob, it looks so great and perfect. Everything looks so showroom condition. You sure you want to thrash it when completed

Would love to see it when you're done...
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Haha - I'm positively *itching* to give it a 'good seeing to' :-)

It's been several long months since my last fix. This was my previous project that I sold to make space for the Porsche.

Bought it as a tired year 2000 Caterham superlight. By the time I'd finished it was pretty much all Carbon, weighing in at a feather light 460Kgs with 210BHP on tap - It was soooo much fun and saw plenty of action. The Porsche will too hopefully :-)
Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure anyone reading your post's is thinking to themselves, I want my car to be this good. I know I am, Just got to get the car first. Hopefully, that day is not far away.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:06 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Is that a refurb/exchange rack Rob or brand new?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Nope, it's the original rack that can be seen in the pictures earlier in the thread. It had no play or leaks and the inner track arm joints where still good so no exchange/refurb was necessary. It looks nice because I had all the parts media blasted before I gave them a good few coats of lacquer.

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb