Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
Ha! I'd love to jack-in my profession and do this kind of stuff for a job instead. Infinately more enjoyable and rewarding :-)
Well you're a dab hand at it!

What did you use for the rod itself, is it just a piece of pipe and you've tap threads in the ends to take the rose joint/rod ends?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:03 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
Ha! I'd love to jack-in my profession and do this kind of stuff for a job instead. Infinately more enjoyable and rewarding :-)
It would probably ruin your love affair with cars and you would earn below the minimum wage because of your attention to detail!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The porsche linkage is made from a thin walled 20mm OD steel tube. I sourced something similar (20mm OD 1.5mm wall thickness - mild steel). Its very light. I then just took two regular steel nuts and turned them down to fit in the ends of the tube. Welded them in and then 'polished' the ends up with the angle grinder.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

>It would probably ruin your love affair with cars and you would earn below the minimum wage because of your attention to detail!

Sobering thoughts!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Amazing Rob - I wish you continued progress!
Can we see some rivnut pics per chance?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:42 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Hi HiWind, I'll grab some pictures of the rivnuts tomorrow - but it's not a terribly exciting picture :-)

Work has been getting in the way of any meaningful progress this week, so I've just been darting about doing little jobs here and there. I did get around to fabricating and welding up a mount for the power steering pump last-night though which will pave the way for completing that job.

I wanted to mount the pump in such a way that I wouldn't loose the ability to carry the spare wheel. Success :-) it fits.

This is a pump from an early Mercedes A class. I did a bit of snooping around on other car forums and this one cropped up a few times. Its tall and slender and fits nicely in the gap between the tank and inner wing. The hoses from the rack you can see entering through a spare grommet in the bulk head.
The pump has 3 connections. +ve Supply, ground and signal. These things tend to pull a good sized current so need to have their own supply and ground leads run direct to the battery. The signal wire is used to switch the pump on/off. I believe when installed in its original vehicle, the signal line is connected to the same alternator wire which is connected to the dash 'ignition lamp'. That way the pump will start only if the engine is actually running. Or, you can have a switch on the dash. I haven't decided which way I'll go yet but this evening I picked apart the main loom which enters through the inner wing and heads down to the ABS controller -> battery. I want to integrate the pump wiring into the existing loom.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Very nice use of that space - Babaloubie take note before you block up
you hidey hole!

And thanks Rob .... I found the rivnut - invented in 1930 by BFGoodrich, aha! - shots online. As u say ... Riveting!

I'd wire the psp into ig lamp like u say ... Switch is pia after a while.
How did u establish the Merc part would do the same job/feel the same? Can the flow rate be tweaked?

Stellar thread ... Take a bow
Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 AM
VR6-er
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob why are you making all the changes to the PAS? Doesn't the car have a PAS as standard?
Old 05-18-2013, 06:10 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

You have pm.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by VR6-er
Rob why are you making all the changes to the PAS? Doesn't the car have a PAS as standard?
Shifts weight from the rear to the front, removes the leak-prone pump in the engine compartment, frees up HP since the motor isn't having to spin up the mechanical pump.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:22 PM
HiWind
Race Car

one point re ^^ - the "free up HP idea" which occurred to me:

the pump uses HP when you're turning, so if you think about it...
you aren't turning often while your floot is flat ie at max HP
and when your foot s flat like on the straight, you're not using the ps pump ...

so are you really gaining much HP? It appears not.
Is there perhaps a torque counter?
Maybe its just the "wow that sounds like a jet turbine when you turn the ignition" factor ... which is valid!

Last edited by HiWind; 05-18-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: wrong em-phahhh-sis on wrong sy-lahh-bal
Old 05-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Makes the engine bay look neater too
Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 PM
dave964diver
Racer

Unbelievable work Rob. Very impressed. I'm about to undertake this exactly this job and would really appreciate if you would put detailed picks up of the electric ps set up and wiring.
I also had a jaw dropping moment when I saw the price of the Bosch fan. Unbelievable, and that was the fan price alone not including the support frame!
Have you got the type of fan and pn from kenlowe?

Cheers Dave
Old 05-19-2013, 05:55 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the comments guys. There are many reasons for doing the electric pump PAS. In addition to those already listed I feel the greatest benefit is its simplicity and neatness. Far less overall bulk and parts, and no hoses running backwards and forwards along the length of the car. I had intended to do the mod at some point but having got underneath and ripping everything out as part of this refurb, the lines were in poor shape so decided to do it now.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Hi Dave, you won't find the fan on their website for some reason!
It's the 11" variety Part No: 11.B/S.12V

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb