Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As promised... the shiny uprights :-D

Well, the work pace is certainly slowing down. This is more due to this ever extending cold spell we're experiencing here in the UK. The temp has just sat beteen 0 and 5 degs C for the best part of two months now. The sun did however come out on Sunday which saw me leap into the garage to use the brief rise in temperature to spray a couple of coats of stone chip protection on my newly repared inner wings.

I left it for about 30mins after the final coat before removing all the masking.

With things as cold as they are, it probably won't be until next weekend that I can do anything more with this. I want to put on a good coat of sealing primer next before the top coat.

As the sun was still shining I thought I look into modding the fan I bought to mount to the new oil cooler. The original oil cooler was a bit of a rusty mess, the top unions were also weeping and if I'm going to all this trouble to rebuild the car I don't mind replacing ancilaries. The oil cooler fan was even worse tho. It worked, but had turned into a big ball of corrosion. The fixings that held the fan shroud to the cooler had become fused and I ended up breaking two of them in the attempt to separate. Having baulked at the cost of a new fan (280quid) from Porsche - I decided to look for an alternative. Here in the UK there is a well respected company called Kenlowe that manufacture a whole array or different fans for the automotive and motorsport industry. They're about 40mins drive from me so a few weeks back I popped in to see them with my new oil cooler to see if one of their fans would fit and be suitable.

The end result was yes and yes :-) So for a fraction of the cost (about 90quid) I came away with one of their very powerfull slimline fans.

The only mod required was a small amount of material from the edge of the shroud so that the fan face would fit flush up against the cooler. From there it was just clipped in.

The fan is attached by 4 plastic barbed rods that you push through the rad and fasten with padded clips on the reverse side. Nice neat job.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good work rob, its coming along nicely
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Stunning work, I enjoyed the read and thread.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work

Appreciate the write up and photos
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys :-)
Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Nothing particularly exciting to report from this weekends activity. For the first time in many months we had sunshine on both days of the weekend WoooHOOO :-) This of course meant that other non-car related duties and chores needed to be done.

I've finished refurbing one of the last assembles from the front of the car. All stripped back, thoroughly cleaned, bits replaced where needed, resprayed and lacquerd (including the castings for protection). Looking nice and spangly.

I'm close to running out of things to do now so really wish this stonechip coating on the inner wings would firm up just a smidge more so that I can top coat it with body colour.
The spare room is looking like an Aladdins cave of shiney porsche parts all stacked up just waiting to be reassembled :-)

A delivery turned up. A used pair of 993 C4 rear brake calipers to replace the basic 2-pots that are on the car now. I think I'll park these until later tho for when the car is back up and running. I refurb these and the exist fronts all in one go.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Now for a bit of colour :-)

I'm not completely happy with the finish / way the paint has gone on tho. It's taken literally *weeks* for the stonechip to cure and harden up a bit. I had a workshop fan-heater running in the garage for 20hrs (warmed to 18degs) with the door shut on Saturday in the hope it may speed it along enough so that I could top coat it in the red today. It did, and the stonechip felt pretty firm enough this morning. However 3hrs after spraying the red, despite the surface hardening off it felt soft again. I've got the heater running again tonight (not looking forward to the electricity bill!) but not sure what else I can do or reason why its like this. I can understand the weather will play a part but really... 3 weeks when it should be over-paintable in 3hrs?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

It looks like you've done a good job from the photo's. I take it that everything cured in the end?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:28 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Great attention to detail & nice to know kenlowe fans is still going strong after all this time....
Old 04-15-2013, 05:39 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks good to me!

Great thread Rob, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Thanks chaps. The stonechip felt much better after having the heater on in the garage for 24hrs. Was much firmer to the touch and could easily take light knocks. I still think something is wrong though. The first coat of 80K red went on fine, I let it flash off for 20mins and was about to put the second coat on. Touching the surface, the paint had dried off well but it was as if the solvent had been absorbed by the stonechip. Any pressure on the paint would see it 'slide about' on the surface of the once again soft stonechip! Ahhgggg!! I let it sit for another few hours and situation did improve so proceeded with the final coat. I then shut the garage up with the heater on for a slow 24h bake at 20degrees. I checked it last night and again it has improved but there are still some areas where its very soft so the heater has been left on. I don't know what it is I've done wrong/different. I checked at purchase with the paint supplier that the 80K paint mix was compatible with the stone chip and it was. This looks likes its going to take many-many-many weeks to fully harden off. Not a masive problem since the car won't be going anywhere soon but it does hinder progress. Any of you paint/bodyshop guys any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Ghengis
Instructor

Despite your worries over the hardening (or not paint) this looks to be a thorough job. Well done.

Looking forward to the rest of the work. Inspired by the fact you're working in such a tight space but it means I have no excuses as my garage is about the same size.

Carry on.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic job, and as Ghengis says to do it with such limited room and facilities is even more impressive

Once its back together you will have a huge sense of satisfaction
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I would get some big halogen work lamps and put them in close proximity pointed at the front of the car. You will probably have to move them around and do the front tub in sections, but it'll definitely heat the surface hotter than 20 Celsius.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
I would get some big halogen work lamps and put them in close proximity pointed at the front of the car. You will probably have to move them around and do the front tub in sections, but it'll definitely heat the surface hotter than 20 Celsius.

This is exactly what I did with my '65 when I painted the firewall when the temperatures were cold. I put those exact lights on it for 2 days in the garage.

Impressive work!

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb