Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staubli, might be of future interest for quick release couplings. My company have used them for fire suppression systems on marine and military systems and I know they are used in Motorsport.
I haven't researched it thoroughly but this link might help: http://www.staubli.com/en/special/search/
Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After 3 weeks of zero car activity I'm back on the case!
I've got both rear trailing arms fitted and which meant the goodies like ERP spring plates, Powerflex bushes and KW3 shocks could finally make their way off the shelf and onto the car.

Its starting to actually look like a car a car again. Well..... it has four axles :-)

All new mounting brake/wiring mounting plates and fixings. The only bolts reused were the heavy duty M14 suspension bolts. Following a bit of a wire brushing they were fine.

I now need to somehow get the engine/trans out of the way, drop the car back onto its wheels and get it loaded onto a trailer to take to the body shop.
For me, that will be a significant turning point of the project as it means all the heavy grunt rebuild work is completed :-)
Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks awesome. I'm always looking forward to your next update.

You're going to love those spring plates. Remember, slotted hole on the lower bolt = less camber (maybe -1.3 max) and slotted hole on the top bolt = more camber (approaching -3.0 max, easily dialed back to -2.0 in my case).
Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

:-) I purposely looked up and reread your post to ensure I had it the correct way up - slot to the top :-)
Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Nice to see a new post from you Rob, 3 weeks is a long time to keep us all waiting for an update.
Looking forward to you future reports.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:27 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Back on 4 wheels :-D Very happy about this !

Old 08-25-2013, 01:01 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Awesome stuff. So in awe of your dedication.

So is it time to put the engine back in?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:56 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Not quite yet, it's going off to the body shop first. Whilst its there I'll have the space to swap all the engine tin with the fibre-glass set from R-to-RSR
Old 09-02-2013, 05:23 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Well - The car has gone! This weekend it was strapped to a trailer and taken to Tom's at Lemass for its makeover. A big milestone in the project and very happy about it :-)

So whilst thats going on its just me and this lump.
Nothing fancy is going to happen as I want the motor to remain stock. It already had a complete rebuild (inc split case and new oil pump) a year or two back and still remains dry. The work here will be more of a tidy-up so I've stripped off all the old rusty tin and will replace it with a fibre glass set.

Together with the cam covers, I'de like to get the fan and housing off for powder coating.

Removing the engine tin is unfortunately also forcing me to deal with this manifold ussue now (probably for the better). I'll get a fabrication shop to make me up a new flange and have a mobile welding unit come round and fix it on. My rig won't be able to cope with metal that thick.

I noticed the engine carrier has had some gusset plates welded into the corners. I assume these arn't on the stock part?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:46 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

The plates look additional and it looks like it's had some extra weld applied at the ends too...
Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great Job Rob!

Just read the whole thread!

I am amazed at your skills considering you don't work in the automotive industry!

Car looks "box fresh" and is amazing.

What tools/equipment would you recommend for a home workshop to do this work?

Keep the updates coming!

Cheers
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Hi, thanks for your kind comments :-) I've been playing with cars (mostly building engines) since before I had a driving licence :-) As far as tools are concerned you can never have too many :-) I also work on the principle that having the right tools for a job makes a world of difference. The set is continuely growing, just at a slower rate as time goes on. Spending money on tools is never a waste, even if it's a tool that you know you'll only ever use once. Vast majority of the time it always works out more cost effective (and ultimately more rewarding) to buy the tool and do it yourself rather than getting somebody to do it for you.

If you're looking to undertake something like this yourself I'd say the key tools outside of the regular socket set / spanners would be:

Impact wrench (It will pay for itself the first time you use it. It's my best friend that I always take along when visiting a big fastener thats never been touched in years)
Blow torch (plumbers torch / mapp)
A big sturdy bench
A big heavy bench vice
Good quality drill bits (Cobalt steel)
Pillar drill (not esential but makes life easier)
An amazing and understanding wife (this is essential to ensure success of the project) :-)

Last edited by robt964; 09-03-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 AM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robt964

Impact wrench (It will pay for itself the first time you use it. It's my best friend that I always take along when visiting a big fastener thats never been touched in years)
Blow torch (plumbers torch / mapp)
A big sturdy bench
A big heavy bench vice
Good quality drill bits (Cobalt steel)
Pillar drill (not esential but makes life easier)
An amazing and understanding wife (this is essential to ensure success of the project) :-)
Can do everything other than the understanding wife...

One other question....

I can see that your garage is a typical UK garage space. Where do you put all the bits when you take them off??

Wings (fenders for the US), lights, heavy greasy metal bits etc... etc... etc....

Is this where the understanding wife comes in?

Do you and your good lady dine on 911 bonnet and watch TV with gearbox foot rest?

Thanks for the advice on tools etc and keep the posts coming.

Cheers
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

LOL
Anything greasy/dirty goes immediately through the brake cleaner 'sheep dip' and when fully cleaned into the garden shed. The engine/tranny went into a neighbouring garage, interior and lightweight stuff boxed up and into the attic, wings and bumpers (again fully dismantled & cleaned) into a spare room :-)
You gotta be organised but it just about works out.
I drool over the pictures the US guys post of their garages more than the cars :-D
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 AM
VR6-er
Racer

Originally Posted by robt964
I drool over the pictures the US guys post of their garages more than the cars :-D
Yup!

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb