Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:05 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just bought this off ebay to use as the basis of my winter project. (Removed from a 1983 Porsche 944)

This will be a big step along the simplification route. So much wiring and complexity will be removed.

Oooooh yes Mr CCU, your days are finally numbered

Last edited by robt964; 12-23-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:45 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing find!!!

I'd started to do the same with off the shelf push/pull rods, this looks way easier.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:48 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

There are still 2 others listed and available
Old 12-23-2014, 08:53 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
There are still 2 others listed and available
UK eBay?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:21 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Yup,

here and here

I've no idea of there suitability, I'll just feel my way as I go on this.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

And a final shot with everything good to go.

I think the ugliest part is the air blower bypass. Just as ugly as with the original blower motor. If only I lived in a warmer clime
Originally Posted by 911Jetta
What about a earlier 911 heater "backdate" design (orange tubing)? Like the quick Photoshop below.

It looks like Singer has managed a comparable feat due to their lack of a distributor. Look closely where the distributor use to be, they've installed a heat duct down there on the engine shroud and it likely get plumbed down to the engine tin.

Singer (Hong Kong) engine bay, note heat duct routing in absence of dual distributor.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Can't work out why on earth Porsche did not do this in the first place... Anyone know?
Yeah, it's a bit of a mystery. They went over board with shielding in other areas but totally neglected the rear arches. Maybe it was a heat concern?
Not an issue now tho since I run with no cat and a cup pipe instead of the primary muffler. It'll be nice to hopefully not have muddy water running out from under the lights and down the bumper anymore
Originally Posted by LM964
Did the 993's have them? If so could they be retrofitted to the 964? It's been something that's been bothering me too - all that road dirt and grim ending up caking the the right light rears...
Any flexible plastic that could be cut to fit should help (anything that prevents a direct path to the rear corners I would have thought).
No rear arch guards on the 993 due to the heat from the dual mufflers.
A great mod for cars that have the muffler delete and cat bypass
Old 12-27-2014, 04:39 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vandit
It looks like Singer has managed a comparable feat due to their lack of a distributor. Look closely where the distributor use to be, they've installed a heat duct down there on the engine shroud and it likely get plumbed down to the engine tin.

Singer (Hong Kong) engine bay, note heat duct routing in absence of dual distributor.
Sharp eyed as ever Vandit! That's a nice mod. If I could route in a similar way whilst still having room to mount the wasted spark coil packs immediately above, then that could be a winner.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:26 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's a bit of a mystery. They went over board with shielding in other areas but totally neglected the rear arches. Maybe it was a heat concern? Not an issue now tho since I run with no cat and a cup pipe instead of the primary muffler. It'll be nice to hopefully not have muddy water running out from under the lights and down the bumper anymore
I looked at doing this myself after (each washing of the car) hosing out the crap that gets back there. However, then it occured to me that being an air cooled engine, it needs air (thanks Captain obvious....) so perhaps that is why there is nothing there as there would be a significant reduction of air flow with that area blocked off? Just my guess.
Being in Australia, and now in summer, we get regular 40 degree (celcius) days here out in the bush - so not sure if I'd risk it - but would maybe trial it if they were easily removable.
Have you got a template you can post that I can cut out from?
Old 12-28-2014, 02:45 AM
mark my words
Instructor

Just bought this off ebay to use as the basis of my winter project. (Removed from a 1983 Porsche 944)

This will be a big step along the simplification route. So much wiring and complexity will be removed.

Oooooh yes Mr CCU, your days are finally numbered
You must be reading my mind - that is something i had on my mind ever since i started my project. I am very curios about how you gonna make this work!
Old 12-28-2014, 04:27 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hepkat63
I looked at doing this myself after (each washing of the car) hosing out the crap that gets back there. However, then it occured to me that being an air cooled engine, it needs air (thanks Captain obvious....) so perhaps that is why there is nothing there as there would be a significant reduction of air flow with that area blocked off? Just my guess.
Being in Australia, and now in summer, we get regular 40 degree (celcius) days here out in the bush - so not sure if I'd risk it - but would maybe trial it if they were easily removable.
Have you got a template you can post that I can cut out from?
With the engine under tray fitted, the engine is completely sealed off from the arches. The engine tin and capsule plastics wall off the engine on all sides. The fan blows air from the top past the cyclinders and out the bottom. I can't see how the wheel arches play any part in cooling the engine. The open arches may provide some cooling to the exhaust but as previously said I'm not running the standard exhaust so have far less latent heat.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:04 AM
ALEX P
Racer

I just love the clean look of the l/h of your engine bay in Vandits photoshopped pic above hiding all the coils and harness clutter.

A nice carbon cover plate to hide this would look great. It would probably work even better if you made two so I could steal one from you

I started mocking up a two piece cover in card a while back but it has slipped down the job list for now.

Anything that declutters these engine bays always makes them more pleasing to look at for me. I should practice what I preach really!
Old 12-28-2014, 05:23 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, haven't been on Rennlist for a while but great catching up with the ongoing development of your car - I continue to be amazed how you find ways to improve the car and how even your improvements are improved with little touches to make it neater or cleaner.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

rob will you be removing the isv with your new fuel mgmt setup?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:42 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HiWind
rob will you be removing the isv with your new fuel mgmt setup?
Nope. The only things I'm swapping out are the air meter (already done as part of the ECU kit) and the dizzies to wasted spark. Everything else will remain as-is.

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb