J81 JKR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^some great shots/cars, thanks for sharing
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for posting this up Steve, and yes it seems a lot calmer than when you are actually going around! Looks as though we almost had the track to ourselves? Bye for now and keep up the good work. Brian.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me and Bigunit "on it" at Silverstone yesterday

A few of Andrew's 944 http://www.race-keeper-events.co.uk/...hp?e=32&f=2440
Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew has bought yet another Porsche?

964, 930 and now a 944S2
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crikey, the big one fits in a 944 better than he does in a 964!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Masher
Instructor

When I saw the weather was decent I regretted not booking up. Silverstone - worth a blast around???
Old 11-11-2013, 01:52 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

The weather was great, though the track was still very wet and slippery in the morning and took a while to dry out. The low sun was a bit of a bitch what with no sun visors due to the cage in my car, but nothing a spot of gaffer tape on the helmet visor couldn't fix.

Silverstone is defo worth a visit at some point. It's huge, wide, long, fast with "run out of petrol before hitting the barriers" type runoff in most places. Nothing with the Eau Rouge "waking up in a cold sweat" factor but not easy by any means. Ideally you want some decent power to keep up with traffic on the long straights otherwise you spend a lot of time letting people overtake (std 964 might be a bit low).
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Silverstone is defo worth a visit at some point. It's huge, wide, long, fast with "run out of petrol before hitting the barriers" type runoff in most places. Nothing with the Eau Rouge "waking up in a cold sweat" factor but not easy by any means. Ideally you want some decent power to keep up with traffic on the long straights otherwise you spend a lot of time letting people overtake (std 964 might be a bit low).
Great report! Silverstone is now on my list.

I'm determined that next year be the year I track the 964 at least 5 times.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:27 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexjc4

Agree that Silverstone is a must do track because of the heritage but also agree that it's a bit tedious in a 964 as it's a big power track. By building the new GP circuit they lost Bridge corner which was the best on the track IMHO. Copse is still good though if you have the ***** to turn in early and use the whole width to get a good exit.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:44 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Agree that Silverstone is a must do track because of the heritage but also agree that it's a bit tedious in a 964 as it's a big power track. By building the new GP circuit they lost Bridge corner which was the best on the track IMHO. Copse is still good though if you have the ***** to turn in early and use the whole width to get a good exit.
Yeah, it was certainly more fun with 460bhp than it was with 380bhp earlier in the year

I did the old track layout ten years ago in my "little" skyline which has similar go to the 964 but with a little less torque - it was exciting because "it was silverstone" but I didn't feel like rushing back. Finally I've got a car with bit more power so I thought I'd try it again and I've now been twice to the "Arena GP" layout this year. I think the new layout does add something for the lower power cars.

It can be frustrating, being so wide you can get "lost", and you can get to a point where you are trying a completely different line each lap at some corners and all of them feel wrong.

Track was wet in the am and very slick - took a while to dry. Plenty of offs, I had a proper tank slapper in maggots/becketts and Bigunit had small but perfectly formed 360 at Stowe I think. Lots of red flags all day, even when it dried out, one of which was me - boost hose popped off at full chat on the wellington straight - big pop and then dead - bugger - coasted off track in case I was dropping oil and eventually towed back to the pits, head hung in shame. Quick fix and back out for a final "endurance" session. I had a "technical" earlier too, a PAS leak on the sighting lap meant I had to take the drive belt off the PAS pump and drive without all day - I now have arms like popeye.

I had a fun passenger session in the 944 - what a well mannered car that is - "we're on a race track - watch as we negotiate corners with grace and precision", reminded me exactly what a vicious bastard the GTR is "we're on a race track - BRACE BRACE BRACE!"
Old 11-11-2013, 04:42 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Tank slapper on my first lap out going not very fast at the corner in the briefing they said most people put it in the wall was a wake up call that's for sure. Probably should listen harder. Such a tough circuit I thought. So technical. I really should have got tuition in hindsight. Be a track you need a few goes at to master that's for sure. Glad I ticked it off the list. I have brands Indy in couple of weeks....make take the 964 to that given its just down the road and i have it back. Will see. 944 is/was a place holder while I was "pork less" for a few months and needed a fix. Not sure if I will keep or get rid in new year.

Alex - mate I need to sort you out for the garage. Send me some details.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:53 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078

Alex - mate I need to sort you out for the garage. Send me some details.
Don't worry about it
Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Next year's Annual Porsche RS day at Oulton Park (Friday 14 March) is now open for booking:

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car-home...mpaign=porsche

It usually sells out within a couple of weeks so be quick if you want to go on it.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:43 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Next year's Annual Porsche RS day at Oulton Park (Friday 14 March) is now open for booking
dude have you booked some sunshine for this year? Might get it booked, always good fun.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:46 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jevvy964
dude have you booked some sunshine for this year? Might get it booked, always good fun.
Unfortunately I can't promise the sunshine...last year was poor weather...but I'm sure you remember the sunnier days in previous years. At least it's a good deal cheaper than previous years....down to £189 this time.

I'm booked.

Quick Reply: UK 964 Track Day Club