London 964 Spa Francorchamps Weekend 2013 - The Sequel

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:39 AM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Great description.

I can never get my head around Pouhon. For me Eau Rouge is euphoria. I love the drama before you get there - the howling exhaust note as you hug the wall is just euphoria.

I have spun a double 360 in a 997GT3 @ Pouhon as a passenger ,it all went in slow motion ,it leaves you a little quiet for a half hour or so ! (humbling experience )
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by clinchy993
I have spun a double 360 in a 997GT3 @ Pouhon as a passenger ,it all went in slow motion ,it leaves you a little quiet for a half hour or so ! (humbling experience )
Wow, now that's a ball shrinking experience!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, now that's a ball shrinking experience!
Now you see what I mean?!

Eau rouge is a roller coaster, pouhon is a corner!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My hopefully once in a lifetime spa sphincter moment was as a passenger in wtdoom's CLK Blaaack driven by Calum Lockie. We had just harassed a 997 GT2 into letting us through after a few laps of abuse but the tyres were cooked. We were flat out into Blanchimont 2 and the back stepped out, big-time. We were sliding sideways across the marbles on the run-off area towards the tyre wall at speed. Calum steered into the slide, got the grip back and steered the car back onto the track, still in front of the GT2. Then he said "Why were you laughing, we nearly bought it then!" because I had been laughing like a maniac.

The GT2 driver got the whole thing on GoPro
Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Gents,

Here are the 'unofficial' since there is nothing official about our clan 'London 964 Owners' patches!

They are available to buy from our account at 'Fitwell Patches'.

Account password - PM me
Account name - London 964 Owners
Order hotline - 0151 734 2546
Email - patches @fitwell-ltd.co.uk

Prices are further discounted for big group buys - so get yourselves together when ordering.

For example 6 patches were £ 5.50 each.
They're a high quality sew on patch with gold metallic thread and silver marrowed edge. 3.5 inches by relative width.

Big thank you to L964O Paul who designed the logo for us in 2011.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 03-10-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Fantastic. Will definitely be ordering some.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've replied to you PM Frank

They are really nice
Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Well, when you exit la source, you head down hill accelerating up through the gears. You hug the old pit wall on the right hand side of the track and as eau rouge homes into view you lift (if you're a Wimp like me) and guide the car to the other side of the track so that the inside wheels ride kerb......and then you look to your right and in front of you is what can best be described as a wall....as the road turns impossibly right and climbs seemingly almost vertically away from you....

You can't see the exit or which way the track goes next so you rely on experience to settle the car, and as you crest the brow turn slightly left riding the inside kerb at the top......and relax up the longer run of kemmel.

A camera never does it justice.....it's epic.....but my fave is pouhon the fast double left.
...I can never get my head around Pouhon. For me Eau Rouge is euphoria. I love the drama before you get there - the howling exhaust note as you hug the wall is just euphoria.
Awesome! Sounds chilling. What gear do you take Eau Rouge in (considering standard 964 gearing)? Any idea of speeds? It appears that F1 is flat out through the entire corner, but the videos posted show that there is some heavy lifting, or maybe even braking?? Is the biggest challenge to Eau Rouge that it is blind? Or is there something more technical to that corner?

Sorry for the impossible questions, but I have always been mesmerized by Spa; and Eau Rouge in particular. Some day I would love to face it from behind the wheel! If you keep this tradition alive, maybe I could join the London 964 owners club there some day!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were any of those club badges done in a vinyl for the windscreen?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zingari
Were any of those club badges done in a vinyl for the windscreen?
They were, I imagine Frank has some still, or if not I'm sure Paul has

But dont mention the word club
Old 03-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Awesome! Sounds chilling. What gear do you take Eau Rouge in (considering standard 964 gearing)? Any idea of speeds? It appears that F1 is flat out through the entire corner, but the videos posted show that there is some heavy lifting, or maybe even braking?? Is the biggest challenge to Eau Rouge that it is blind? Or is there something more technical to that corner?

Sorry for the impossible questions, but I have always been mesmerized by Spa; and Eau Rouge in particular. Some day I would love to face it from behind the wheel! If you keep this tradition alive, maybe I could join the London 964 owners club there some day!
I drop to 4th for Eau Rouge. Witout downforce it'd be a brave man that takes it flat in a 964. The GT3s and 3RSs have some downforce but nothing like a F1 car and even they have to lift (I was pax in one a few years ago on slicks and he lifted).

The car bottoms out as you go through Eau Rouge and the compression loads the steering so it's critical you get your entry right and have the right speed and steering angle to let the car run out to crest Radillion just over the inside kerb. In the dry you can take liberties with the kerbing....I'd be less inclined in the wet!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Like Cheeksyboy I use 4th. You lose speed going into it and can actually lose speed going up it because it's so steep. Last year, my first time, I was 90 mph by the time I got confident with it, as I popped out of the top. The technical bit is to use as much of the track on the left at the bottom before you turn right to go up the hill. Then, you have to hold your nerve and believe that you'll get the apex for Radillon. It's one of those blind apexes that comes to you (very quickly) rather than you going to it!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Did little bit more prep for the trip today....

Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Did little bit more prep for the trip today....

Wot no blood group?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:33 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Wot no blood group?
Ice in my veins.

Quick Reply: London 964 Spa Francorchamps Weekend 2013 - The Sequel