Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
KeithV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful 964 frank - outstanding detailing job.

However the guards red car doesn't look like a 930. The 930 was the 911 Turbo with flared wings (fenders) and a whale tail. The Picture looks like an '85 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa.

IMHO the 964 is a far better car.

Nice one! KV.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
Gorgeous car Frank... No wonder you wanted to kill the guy/gal who backed into it. In some parts of the U.S. "He needed Killin' " is a justifiable defense for murder, and this would certainly fit.
Thanks... Well he got away and... The bumper is perfect £150 well spent!

Originally Posted by KeithV
Beautiful 964 frank - outstanding detailing job.

However the guards red car doesn't look like a 930. The 930 was the 911 Turbo with flared wings (fenders) and a whale tail. The Picture looks like an '85 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa.

IMHO the 964 is a far better car.

Nice one! KV.
Aha thank you, I had thought all 3.2s were 930s... Seems my knowledge of 911s is very 964 biased!

IMO the 964 is the best Porsche ever built... However that particular car, my fathers car has a place in my heart and I would more than love to ad it to my garage...
Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Hi Lee,

Thank you... the interior in black leather with red piping... with an uprated steering wheel.
Black on Black/Red, my dream car. Go Texas Tech Red Raiders! Hope there is at least one UT fan out there to enjoy this pic.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM
BVF
Track Day

Low blow. Leach is coming to Austin. Should be interesting
Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I just use simple off the shelf products,

Today used:
Triplewax body shampoo.
T-Cut original colour restorer.
Triplewax car polish.
And a bunch of Autoglym products.

Although one day I may buy some Swissvax...

The girlfriend just pointed out that I have one bottle in the shower, shampoo/ body wash all in one and 10 car products....

....for me the subtitle 'invigorating body wash' belongs on a car wash bottle
Great finish and nice to see that you use sensibly priced products like I do. Getting a finish like that shows that most of it is down to hard work rather than buying the most expensive stuff. You might want to try T-cut wax next time. It'll do your T-cut and polishing in one step
Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Great finish and nice to see that you use sensibly priced products like I do. Getting a finish like that shows that most of it is down to hard work rather than buying the most expensive stuff. You might want to try T-cut wax next time. It'll do your T-cut and polishing in one step
Hi boxsey,

Thanks for the kind words, reading what you wrote makes me think you are right, sensibly priced products work for me. I'll check the tcut wax
Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BVF
Low blow. Leach is coming to Austin. Should be interesting
You know, I'm such a huge Leach fan, I wouldn't even mind seeing him go to Austin, just to be able to continue enjoying the excitement he brought to college football. It would be interesting to see what he could do with all those blue chip players at UT. Bet he would be unbeatable and could compete against any pro team.

I went to the game following the one in the pic. It was amazing to see the frenzy and following that Leach amassed. Tons of students dressed in full pirate regalia. Looked like the set from Pirates of the Carribean.

Didn't think my post would get this much response, but I got a PM from another Rennlister who says he's Crabtree's brother!

Sorry to hijack this post and try to turn it into a sports forum! I really love the black car. Shine and "slickness" is incredible. Pic, and background in it, are great.

How about some interior shots of that red piping?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

So It's about time I do a little write up updating the past few months of ownership...

Everything has been great I've taken my 964 named 'Eric'
(I know it's not the done thing to not name a car with a girl's name but the name has significant value to me) to North Wales to explore the Evo Triangle and the surroundings which was a wonderful experience... will be joining the Rennlist North Wales run this summer.

North Wales as many of you will know is just stunning, jaw dropping stunning. The diversity of views is spectacular and roads are glorious with a mixture of long swooping bends and tight chicanes. A real driver's paradise.

Over the summer '10 I drove with the mrs down to the South of France to spend a week in Biot. The car never missed a beat and the immaculate roads were an absolute joy to drive... Eric just ate the miles with majestic savagery. The area we were exploring was great. Having prepared with a fantastic driving tour guide, we saw spectacular views, mountain top quaint villages and a few museums via beautiful mountain passes.The biggest highlight was driving the Col de Tourini which is a breathtaking mountain pass that is part of the Monte Carlo rally stage. The route passes up and down valleys, with rock faces providing amazing echoes for that perfect, hair raising on the back of your neck flat six sound track.

Anyway since then I bought some Veloce 3.6 speedline replicas with new rubber, which I think set the car off perfectly.

Just last weekend I also undertook, with hugely inspired confidence thanks to rennlist, a suspension and roll bar upgrade.
Armed with a more mechanically minded friend, his barn and step by step guides we installed some KWV3s with no issues. So out came the old dampers and H&R lowering springs with no issues, the rears required 30mins more per corner as the heater and airbox had to be removed to gain access. The front dampers were completely shot. In order to avoid bleeding the brakes we cut through the brake line mounts using a simple saw... no dremel saws here! What surprised me was just how much thinner the new coils were. New suspension in, next were the H&R roll bars. The rear went in no issues, the front however was a nightmare as the access is extremely limited and so lots of dismantling took place.

In conclusion, I would say that doing the swap over doesn't require a degree in mechanics but just systematic logic, a second pair of hands and the right tools. Oh and a lot of time: 1st day worked from 13.30 to 19.30. 2nd day 08.00 to 22.30, 1hr for lunch. 3rd day 07.30 until 10.00. Besides doing the work yourself saves you a ton of money.

So the results, well the car is completely different, incomparable. It drives like it's on rails, there's hardly any body role, the steering is now razor sharp/ precise and the understeer is gone. I am finding myself completely rediscovering bends I had previously driven: the now achievable cornering speeds are just staggering. I honestly feel this must be the best modification possible and must be at the top of any 964s owners wish list....

The car is currently at GT One having a big service and an all essential wheel alignment... I am so excited to see the results... tomorrow couldn't be further away.

GT One and specifically Peter have been great with me, truly understanding, approachable, honest, have kept me informed all along the processes and have been especially helpful in tailoring a package that would work with my limited budget. Very happy customer.

So with Donington Park Porsche track day booked for July, my next thing will be Hot Film hopefully before then... watch this space.

Although the greatest and best thing has been creating and meeting the London 964 Owners, Its really a great little group of people... and 964s! I think something very special is beginning.

Also just want to thank you, the rennlisters for all your help
Attached Images               

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 03-03-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Stance adjusted at GT One... more pics of the final adjustments to come...
Attached Images      
Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Great update on your ownership so far.
Speedlines, now KWV3s...in the future a Hot Film update?! My kind of 964 owner.
Stunning car!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great update Frank, car looks really good in the GT1 pics, really good

And great work with the London Rennlist group, some lovely cars and very nice people
Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
jamest
Instructor

Well done Frank, really impressed that you took the job on as a DIY. I was in GT One yesterday and I think I saw your car up on the lift - looked great!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great update on your ownership so far.
Speedlines, now KWV3s...in the future a Hot Film update?! My kind of 964 owner.
Stunning car!
Originally Posted by freedman
Great update Frank, car looks really good in the GT1 pics, really good

And great work with the London Rennlist group, some lovely cars and very nice people
Originally Posted by jamest
Well done Frank, really impressed that you took the job on as a DIY. I was in GT One yesterday and I think I saw your car up on the lift - looked great!
Thanks guys.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:21 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Congrats Frank!!!! plus 1000 to everything you said about the "new" car. Completely different ride. You and I must have been doing the work simultaneously albeit 10,000 miles apart. Well done!

The rears were easier, by far, and I was thrilled to see the top factory mono *****. What a fantastic piece of kit. The fronts were tougher because there were so many bolts, connections, hoses, wires etc to work around. I too installed a front 24 MM factory RS bar. I found it was easier to install with both wheel carriers leaning out. I couldn't get the rear done because the drop link bolts are so soft that I started to "round them", so I'll get the shop to loosen them for me tomorrow.

I'm having new Honkook Ventus installed in the morning, then back home to make some bump/rebound adjustments including a ride height tweak. I'll take it for the Geo in a week or so for final set-up. Best money I've spent on the car, so far.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Good write up Frank, Eric is looking great!

Hmmm KWV3s, shall I??...

Quick Reply: 964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**