Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:01 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default !!

well , i will share my experience with chips
To all the people that dont believe chips work, WAKE UP
you need to try them before you impose your opinion. i have tried 3 off the shelf chips on my 91 cab before i sold it
1- autothority
2-ruf
3-CUP chip (off ebay)

all 3 chips made the car drive smoother and quicker, you really can tell the difference, no BULL .
the best one i kept on the car was the CUP chip, the car just felt so much better, when i contacted the seller to get some info about it, he said it was a clone of cup car chip.... i didnt care cause it worked great.
now my friends 964 had the autothority chip/MAF combo, and he dynoed at 290hp
Old 02-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"what do I do next"
Go back and do a review of everything that you have done , often its one small thing that is just not 100% right . One leg of the chip folded up ? Chip in right way around ? Internal conector not seated 100% ? etc etc etc .......
If you redo all your work and it still will not fire up , try the old chip again , could be a bad chip .
If the person who did the eprom never tested it , you are the tester .
Old 02-19-2006, 02:09 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_99l
now my friends 964 had the autothority chip/MAF combo, and he dynoed at 290hp
I will be putting mine up for sale in the next few days due to PCA racing rules.

(shameless plug!)

Last edited by forklift; 02-19-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:19 PM
rodders
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Indycam - thats the advice i wanted !!
Its a cold very wet Sunday night in London and my wife is shouting at me and the kids - vicious PMT.
but you are 100% right - I was just hoping I didnt have to crawl round the cold cold garage to-night
The sporto goes in for a service tomorrow and i was trying to be clever and do a little job on the 964 - judt for fun and to escape the sig other !!
Cold evening ahead -but better than PMT !
Old 02-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Does she care for wine , port ?
"As long as you have no alcohol-related problems, drinking half a glass of wine may safely relieve PMS. When you're in its throes, levels of progesterone, a mood-elevating hormone, drop, and the brain receptors that help you relax become less effective, says pharmacologist Sheryl Smith, Ph.D., of the SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. In animal research, she found that alcohol binds to the same receptors as progesterone does and that a small dose of alcohol has a greater than normal effect during PMS. Smith says the same effect should occur in humans but stresses moderation. "Large amounts of alcohol don't work," she warns, and a hangover will make PMS even worse."
Old 02-19-2006, 03:51 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Interesting conversation here, just getting a bit too serious, ego's have been stepped on obviously. Looking forward to hear from Rodders and Marc how things went.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:00 PM
tafkai

it went from maf and chip , to tech arguments , to pmt , to wine and port !!!!

just to bring this thing back on track , fvd have them on special at a good price !!!

www.fvd.de
Old 02-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Some other people in this thread , (tech arguments) , could also stand to have glass or two .
pmt = pm tech ?

Tafkai , my lawyer has just given me the ok to say , happy holidays .
Old 02-19-2006, 05:15 PM
rodders
Racer

I think some of the tech combatants needed a congenial bottle of wine - I certainly do - i have activated the immobilizer and cant think were i have put the manual !!
- so its a phone call in the morning - unless some one has a Toad and can help rest it.
I followed Indycams advice and put the stock chip back in - and checked the fitting - all OK and the same result - it didn't start - I am sure its the immobilizer.
- back to the real world - the wine and port works on me but the sig other has a touch of candida so alcohol is out - any way 3 glasses and she is worse than before - stick to cars !!
tomorrow its back to the sporto for the day until the bomber is released from bondage
I did say earlier it earlier it was going to be a sunday c--k up job.
well with the help of rennlisters I am now an chip change expert - but the car does not go so not much of an expert - but everyones help was great - and the various links have all the helpful photos and hints - really good
I also forgot to fill up with 98 so have to start on 95 !!
Anyway it was a very cold cold wet night in Chelsea but with no result but I am learning miserably - but learning
Will update tomorrow - watch this space
If any one can admit to being as clueless as me I would try to write an idiots guide - i know its been done before but I gleaned important bits from different people - just ask and I would try to collate - simply
Old 02-19-2006, 05:43 PM
rodders
Racer

fvd is a good site thanks
Santa Cruz is a long way for a quick glass but my cat started in Manchester - I lived in Alderley Edge and Ian Anthony/Stratstones/Pendragon looked after it for years so I know the area very well
Old 02-19-2006, 05:52 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Should I assuming that an fresh engine with a changed air filter and exhaust system will NOT benefit from a chip mapped to reflect the changes." - rodders -

You're totally correct! Invest your time & money in a Porsche DE event.
It 'll yield better results. The Rennlist Forum has many threads which indicate
such. Just do a search.

Furthermore, the torque curve is basically flat over the AFR range from 11.0 to
14.0 and as such yields little/nothing the result of tweaking.

Check here www.systemsc.com/graphs.htm for data on this and other engine info.
Hi All,

This is an interesting statement. Have you tried one?

The 964 responds extremetly well to a well written chip upgrade. Even with the car in closed loop, the car will perform better on partial throttle. The fuel data is made more progressive and smoother as is the ignition. On open loop, we can really unleash some change - more progressive advance and more fuel = more power and torque.

Try one, they do work. If they didn't - we sure wouldn't have much joy selling them.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 02-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"Santa Cruz is a long way for a quick glass"
I'll have one for you , if you have one for me .
Old 02-19-2006, 06:00 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by rodders
I think some of the tech combatants needed a congenial bottle of wine - I certainly do - i have activated the immobilizer and cant think were i have put the manual !!
Hi Rodders,

Sounds like you are having a spot of immobiliser bother.

Did you disconnect the battery? Do you have the Porsche PA1000 or an equivalent alarm / immobilser (Hamilton & Palmer)? If so, locate the fuse box and you will see some red wires with inline fuses. Just disconnect these and reconnect and your fuel pump will reactivate.

Fairly certain that's what your problem is.

All,
All chips are checksum tested and are burned in batches. If a chip fails to checksum (against the original .bin file) it is discarded. Hence, we can never inadvertently send out failed chips :-)

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 02-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hiya Andrew
Chips fail , eproms fail .
Old 02-19-2006, 06:14 PM
rodders
Racer

thanks, Andrew I am sure you are right - i reinstalled the original chip - same result.
I did disconnect the battery but I have a toad alarm, I will call them tomorrow then another a job for tomorrow - I will be in touch tomorrow to let you know.
I forgot to fill up on 98 and have a small amount of 95 in the tank - I will go straight round and fill up - any advice - reset after ??
I am looking forward to the results - this whole thing has been a lot of fun - even tho its been cold and dark - I am very jealous of the Santa Cruz types !!!

Quick Reply: ProMAX Chip and Maf unit