jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 283 Posts

And airbags
Old 01-15-2024, 04:53 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 239 Likes on 132 Posts

That midnight blue RS is stunning, it’s exactly how I would spec my RS if I walked into a dealer to order one.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:41 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
crazy placements and amounts of leather!
Originally Posted by jeff33702
And airbags
This is definitely an unusual car. Haven’t seen one with these leather options and the body painted wheels. Has the US front bumper with fog lights and bumperettes (still has RoW rear bumper), lower dash, mph speedometer, and airbags. I don’t know which (if any) of these were done at the factory or done after the fact.

Last edited by RapidGT; 01-16-2024 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:30 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

There are more pictures of the Midnight Blue RS on elferspot. The option code sticker under the hood just shows option code “C00” which is the country code for Germany. Doesn’t signify any “special wish” options.

https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-1992-3252393/
Old 01-16-2024, 10:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

this C2 brought very good money today on BaT considering 'plain jane' looks and 59k miles.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ra-2-coupe-21/
I wish I had this car to look over. The rear latch cannot be original. I suspect it had a rear end collision and was replaced with the wrong parts. I have 2 91's at my disposal and both are earlier vins with the proper latch. If I make an inference to this BaT discards my comments.

Originally Posted by RapidGT
This is definitely an unusual car. Haven’t seen one with these leather options and the body painted wheels. Has the US front bumper with fog lights and bumperettes (still has RoW rear bumper), lower dash, mph speedometer, and airbags. I don’t know which (if any) of these were done at the factory or done after the fact.
I painted a set of cup I's the same way 15 or so years back It was a popular look for a short time. I have seen it done from the factory but mostly on 928GTS's. There are a few 3.8RSR's with power steering and airbags so it could be factory. I will see if I can run the vin and report back what I find. It will take a while.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:46 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

One of the strangest most unique 964 RS’ I’ve ever seen.

https://www.otsandco.com/project/199...964-carrera-rs

According to Porsche database the car is

C00 German delivery on 5/22/92 carrera RS 964360
2 closed and an open campaign AT07 Universal Joint
Interior trim codes NS & KL
Seat trim code BQD
Seat cushion material LED
Seat side support material LE
Seat back material LE
Carpet F5V

There are no other option codes so I would suspect that everything you see was done after delivery.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:49 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 335 Posts

this C2 brought very good money today on BaT considering 'plain jane' looks and 59k miles.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ra-2-coupe-21/
I thought that was really strange as well. The mileage is "low-ish," but not low. The color is usually the color that brings the lowest $$$ of all of them. It's wearing what appears to be fake Cup 1 style wheels in a 16" fitment (unless there was a 16" Cup wheel I'm not aware of - always possible).

Only thing I can figure - the blue interior is at least pretty cool, especially on a white car which typically tend to have black or tan interiors. Or maybe as mentioned earlier - "clean," unmodified, 964 coupes are just getting so hard to find that even a boring spec is going for big money.

Or money laundering. Wouldn't be the first time BAT has been in the middle of some serious unusual bidding which has brought those fears up.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:53 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 335 Posts

One of the strangest most unique 964 RS’ I’ve ever seen.

https://www.otsandco.com/project/199...964-carrera-rs
It sure is an interesting build. I'll admit I find it odd that you would add weight and leather to an RS of all cars, but I guess when you're the chairman of Samsung, you just want what you want and you pay for it.

Justin Placek just did an interior for a G Body car and did all the same things - wrapped the stalks, vents, console pieces, upper/lower dashboard, HVAC, etc. So maybe this is like that if the sticker doesn't show any actual Sonderwunch stuff.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:01 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
According to Porsche database the car is

C00 German delivery on 5/22/92 carrera RS 964360
2 closed and an open campaign AT07 Universal Joint
Interior trim codes NS & KL
Seat trim code BQD
Seat cushion material LED
Seat side support material LE
Seat back material LE
Carpet F5V

There are no other option codes so I would suspect that everything you see was done after delivery.
Interesting. Ray Joseph I believe has had some of the previous owners (chairman of Samsung) old cars. Some very rare cars in unique specifications. I think Merit Partners has his old RUF RGT.

https://www.meritpartners.com/privat...n-2008-ruf-rgt
Old 01-18-2024, 09:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darylbowden
I thought that was really strange as well. The mileage is "low-ish," but not low. The color is usually the color that brings the lowest $$$ of all of them. It's wearing what appears to be fake Cup 1 style wheels in a 16" fitment (unless there was a 16" Cup wheel I'm not aware of - always possible).

Only thing I can figure - the blue interior is at least pretty cool, especially on a white car which typically tend to have black or tan interiors. Or maybe as mentioned earlier - "clean," unmodified, 964 coupes are just getting so hard to find that even a boring spec is going for big money.

Or money laundering. Wouldn't be the first time BAT has been in the middle of some serious unusual bidding which has brought those fears up.
The wheels are the 92 on 16" Cups narrow spoke and should carry 944 part numbers. I did not look them over but appear to be OE just wrong year wheel for the car. The rear latch is not original and the underside looks like it has far more miles than the rest. I suspect this had a bad hit in the rear and had the quarters and rear latch cross member repalced. The tabs were clearly visible and cut off after installation vs the factory which cuts them flush and are not visible from above. The interior carpet is new and I suspect the entire interior as well. So if someone paid up for an original 964 they were mistaken. This car is far from original. Front ducts, headlights and interior to name a few things as well as possible bodywork.

The three circles would not be something I expect to see on a factory original car being a 91. The sides circles are usually cut below the surface and aren't visible so I suspect extensive bodywork.

White is hard to see things in photos as it washes out but the welds and lack of pinch welds showing is usually a giveaway.

Interesting. Ray Joseph I believe has had some of the previous owners (chairman of Samsung) old cars. Some very rare cars in unique specifications. I think Merit Partners has his old RUF RGT.

https://www.meritpartners.com/privat...n-2008-ruf-rgt
Maybe Ray has the answer but per the Porsche database there are no other options so I suspect he had it done after. It won't be the first RS I saw that had fancy interior and cosmetic upgrades. Nice RGT

Last edited by cobalt; 01-18-2024 at 09:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
darylbowden (01-18-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 05:38 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Guards Red RSA going up for auction next month. Non-sunroof, LSD, A/C, and shows 28k miles.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1098406/1...aa_id=544856-0
Sold for $170,500. Includes the 12% buyers premium.
Now for sale with this dealer for $200k.

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/19...-rs-america-3/
Old 01-19-2024, 05:54 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

On the white 91 on BAT, those wheels are what my 93 came with from the factory. 16x8 rear, 16x6 front. Long gone since my dad put a big brake it on it when he was doing DEs in the late 90s into the early 2000s. I notived the steering wheels insn't the same color as the interior. along with the armrests and door pockets. My car has Marine Blue interior and the steering wheel, armrests and door pockets were all the same Marine Blue as the carpets, dash, and headliner, shifter boot, parking brake handle etc. Wonder if this was factory or done later. The white car also has the plastic intakes. I thought those started in 1992.
Old 01-21-2024, 03:39 PM
gregmitch
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My car is a '91 and was built 7 days before this white one that sold on BAT also has the older circular deck lid latch and newer plastic intake manifold. The guards red C2 that was RNM was built two days after the white one and has the same setup. Seems like earlier build '91s still used the circular deck lid latch and not sure when they switched to the updated latch.

Originally Posted by cobalt
The wheels are the 92 on 16" Cups narrow spoke and should carry 944 part numbers. I did not look them over but appear to be OE just wrong year wheel for the car. The rear latch is not original and the underside looks like it has far more miles than the rest. I suspect this had a bad hit in the rear and had the quarters and rear latch cross member repalced. The tabs were clearly visible and cut off after installation vs the factory which cuts them flush and are not visible from above. The interior carpet is new and I suspect the entire interior as well. So if someone paid up for an original 964 they were mistaken. This car is far from original. Front ducts, headlights and interior to name a few things as well as possible bodywork.

The three circles would not be something I expect to see on a factory original car being a 91. The sides circles are usually cut below the surface and aren't visible so I suspect extensive bodywork.

White is hard to see things in photos as it washes out but the welds and lack of pinch welds showing is usually a giveaway.

Maybe Ray has the answer but per the Porsche database there are no other options so I suspect he had it done after. It won't be the first RS I saw that had fancy interior and cosmetic upgrades. Nice RGT
Old 01-22-2024, 10:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregmitch
My car is a '91 and was built 7 days before this white one that sold on BAT also has the older circular deck lid latch and newer plastic intake manifold. The guards red C2 that was RNM was built two days after the white one and has the same setup. Seems like earlier build '91s still used the circular deck lid latch and not sure when they switched to the updated latch.
​​​​​​So it would appear we have another production anomaly. Very hard to keep on top of all of these little changes. I found vin 418 It has the later style latch. I have number 565 30 cars prior to this one with the late style latch and a friend has an earlier Targa which could be targa specific with a later style latch. The red car was vin 619 the white car is 595 same last numbers as my 90 C4. Although I did find another early targa with the round latch for sale. It is possible that Porsche had some earlier tubs they used later (out of sequence) in 91 production. I would have expected that they used up all the older style tubs prior to the newer ones. However, I highly doubt the white car came from the factory with the side tabs exposed which you could get cut on and the welds at the top of the quarter panels don't look like what I am accustomed to seeing from the factory. I look for the tabs on most any car I look at and anytime I see them exposed I can show how they were not original. Usually they were cut flush with the panel and seam sealer used to cover any sharp edges.

Maybe I need to start a thread to see how many of these early 91's have the round latch vs the newer style.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-22-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:53 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 283 Posts

My 91, I think is early - has late style latch.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices