964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 09:50 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
$479,964

Thats the price on the 92 964 RS N/GT in Rubystone Red at Zweck...

Seems like a reasonable value for an ultra rarity! Does anyone have any information on the cars history and if it ever sustained any damage?

Was previously owned by Leh Keen. Bought it from Zweck who I think imported the car in.

www.instagram.com/lehmank/?hl=en

Last edited by RapidGT; 12-29-2023 at 10:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
928 GT R (01-07-2024)
Old 12-29-2023, 09:54 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

One of Rudy Mancinas (aka “Mr. 993”) old 964’s. Remember in a video he said if he could only keep a few cars one would have been this car. Also said in the second video as far as driving pleasure he would pick a 964 over a 993. This example sold on BaT a few weeks ago for $106k and now listed for $150k.

Current listing:
https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/19...-speed-manual/

Previous BaT listing:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ra-2-coupe-35/

Last edited by RapidGT; 12-29-2023 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:51 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
One of Rudy Mancinas (aka “Mr. 993”) old 964’s. Remember in a video he said if he could only keep a few cars one would have been this car. Also said in the second video as far as driving pleasure he would pick a 964 over a 993. This example sold on BaT a few weeks ago for $106k and now listed for $150k.
i was really surprised that that car sold for such a low number. the market is in a lull right now, but the current price seems more appropriate. i had no idea it was previously owned by rudy.

quite similar, in many ways, to my '90 C2.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:04 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i was really surprised that that car sold for such a low number. the market is in a lull right now, but the current price seems more appropriate. i had no idea it was previously owned by rudy.

quite similar, in many ways, to my '90 C2.
Not a great month to sell cars and the market has been very inconsistent. Was shocking it did only $106k on BaT, but it is priced now where I would expect it to be. TMU didn’t help it, but I believe the mileage is accurate. Seems BaT lists any car with documented odometer repair as TMU which is unfair as an overwhelming majority of air-cooled Porsche’s have had to have them repaired as the gears will break with age. People just see the TMU and right the car off without looking into it.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:54 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Not a great month to sell cars and the market has been very inconsistent. Was shocking it did only $106k on BaT, but it is priced now where I would expect it to be. TMU didn’t help it, but I believe the mileage is accurate. Seems BaT lists any car with documented odometer repair as TMU which is unfair as an overwhelming majority of air-cooled Porsche’s have had to have them repaired as the gears will break with age. People just see the TMU and right the car off without looking into it.
i agree and find this quite unfair to aircooled owners. it's one reason i'm hesitant to use BaT when the time comes to sell my 964. mine is 27k miles and well documented with no gear repair noted in it's history (i'm not saying it hasn't been repaired, knowing how brittle those gears get). the carfax report backs up the mileage as being completely linear. it would really upset me if BaT implied it must have been replaced at one time and labeled my car TMU. all you can do at that point is provide all the evidence you have to substantiate the mileage. BaT just seems to be labeling low mileage aircooleds, with the known gear issue, as TMU more frequently now.

i have done the gear repair before and, if you take care of it when it happens, there shouldn't even be a blip on the mileage history.

also agree on not a great time to sell, unless you are also buying and upgrading. like buying a house in a down market - if you're upgrading you can take advantage of the lower prices at a higher value. knowing the 964 market like i do, rudy's car went way too cheap and that's shown by the substantial mark up by the current dealer.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:59 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i agree and find this quite unfair to aircooled owners. it's one reason i'm hesitant to use BaT when the time comes to sell my 964. mine is 27k miles and well documented with no gear repair noted in it's history (i'm not saying it hasn't been repaired, knowing how brittle those gears get). the carfax report backs up the mileage as being completely linear. it would really upset me if BaT implied it must have been replaced at one time and labeled my car TMU. all you can do at that point is provide all the evidence you have to substantiate the mileage. BaT just seems to be labeling low mileage aircooleds, with the known gear issue, as TMU more frequently now.

i have done the gear repair before and, if you take care of it when it happens, there shouldn't even be a blip on the mileage history.

also agree on not a great time to sell, unless you are also buying and upgrading. like buying a house in a down market - if you're upgrading you can take advantage of the lower prices at a higher value. knowing the 964 market like i do, rudy's car went way too cheap and that's shown by the substantial mark up by the current dealer.
I have no intention of selling, but if I put mine on BaT, I simply wouldn't disclose the repair. I did repair it, and have full documentation to show mileage before and after, but someone would have to take my word for it because I did the work myself. I'm a 1000% full disclosure person, but this would be an exception because of BaT's absurd policy on TMU.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts

His cars weren't always perfect or original. The few I saw had been gussied up but I would have done more and not add the extra parts that didn't belong. 911Jetta purchased his cobalt blue from Rudy and we discussed many of the cars needs after he received it. People want either fully stock or heavily modified these days.

The market is doing great for select cars, the rest are in flux. I have 2 981's I want to sell but the time isn't right. I could sell the 3k mile GT4 for $30k or more over what I paid but the Cayman S and Boxster GTS the market is quite flat. I suspect as we get further into 24 and see where things head I suspect the market will be back in play. But patience is the key.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:15 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Maritime Blue RoW RS. Shows just under 46k km (28k miles). They are asking $400k. The car does have the markings on the wheels signifying they are original magnesium wheels the car would’ve come with. Also has an A/C compressor (besides the Touring model these didn’t come with A/C). Some other small stuff that really isn’t concerning. The only thing I find to be is the wheels.

https://www.meritpartners.com/1992-p...rera-rs-491491

Last edited by RapidGT; 01-05-2024 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I agree about the wheels however we would need to see the option sticker to verify if the A/C was factory or not. I believe you could order a few options most of these don't have just like the 3.8RS. I was looking at a collection of cars during COVID and one was a 3.6RS that claimed to have factory A/C. The deal fell through but the people helping us with the PPI were impeccably thorough and showed the complete factory documentation. Although the plumbing appears to be an addition on this one. There is one I know of 3.8RS with factory A/C and more than a handful with power steering and air bags. Back then anything was possible, Bob Linton proved that.

The strut bar is not factory and might be an optical illusion but appears bent. It also has added brake ducts. Nice looking example but would need to be checked out thoroughly at that price. We found an 8k km 3.6RS not long ago but the price was quite a bit higher. Far too much IMO.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:01 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I agree about the wheels however we would need to see the option sticker to verify if the A/C was factory or not. I believe you could order a few options most of these don't have just like the 3.8RS. I was looking at a collection of cars during COVID and one was a 3.6RS that claimed to have factory A/C. The deal fell through but the people helping us with the PPI were impeccably thorough and showed the complete factory documentation. Although the plumbing appears to be an addition on this one. There is one I know of 3.8RS with factory A/C and more than a handful with power steering and air bags. Back then anything was possible, Bob Linton proved that.

The strut bar is not factory and might be an optical illusion but appears bent. It also has added brake ducts. Nice looking example but would need to be checked out thoroughly at that price. We found an 8k km 3.6RS not long ago but the price was quite a bit higher. Far too much IMO.
I did notice the strut brace (didn’t look at it throughly but you’re right it is bent) and the brake ducts. Also the clubsport steering wheel is very likely not the original and the seat backs I believe came from the factory black and were painted body color at some point. Besides it being bent strut brace (wonder how it got that way), didn’t think these were big issues. I would remove the strut brace or at least change it to one that isn’t bent (preferably a Porsche Motorsport one).

The A/C I doubt is factory as the button for it is to the left of the steering wheel next to light switch. It’s supposed to be on the climate control panel where this verified factory A/C RS Touring has it. The one at Merit Partners where the A/C button would be is just the air-recirculation like a non-A/C car.

Merit Partners RS:

RS Touring with factory optioned A/C:
Old 01-05-2024, 10:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I did notice the button at the left of the steering wheel where the headlight adjuster would normally go. I do agree it looks like it was added. The hoses are not what I expect and the wire that powers the compressor does not originate from the right side as they all do. I suspect that there is more going on here than we know. Another look and I suspect the badging sits slightly too high on the deck lid. I also zoomed in and see the Shell oil sticker is revision suffix .02 which did not show up until later in late 93 so that is a bit odd as well along with the fact that in 92 most all had the sticker placed where the A/C service sticker is and didn't move the sticker to its location until 93. Even my 93 C2 wears a .00 suffix sticker. The more I look the more I see. It appears to have new sound deadening installed which seems odd for such a low km car.

This is my issue with buying these imports. More times than not the history and mileage is unknown. Many importing these knowing full well they were repainted or worse and passing them off as original. With the wheels the funky button on the center console and everything else seems they are asking the moon for this one, banking on the color making the sale.

BTW thanks for pointing out the recirculation button vs A/C on the CCU. Something that was never on my radar. 20 something years and still learning more everyday.
laranja (01-07-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 04:05 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I did notice the button at the left of the steering wheel where the headlight adjuster would normally go. I do agree it looks like it was added. The hoses are not what I expect and the wire that powers the compressor does not originate from the right side as they all do. I suspect that there is more going on here than we know. Another look and I suspect the badging sits slightly too high on the deck lid. I also zoomed in and see the Shell oil sticker is revision suffix .02 which did not show up until later in late 93 so that is a bit odd as well along with the fact that in 92 most all had the sticker placed where the A/C service sticker is and didn't move the sticker to its location until 93. Even my 93 C2 wears a .00 suffix sticker. The more I look the more I see. It appears to have new sound deadening installed which seems odd for such a low km car.

This is my issue with buying these imports. More times than not the history and mileage is unknown. Many importing these knowing full well they were repainted or worse and passing them off as original. With the wheels the funky button on the center console and everything else seems they are asking the moon for this one, banking on the color making the sale.

BTW thanks for pointing out the recirculation button vs A/C on the CCU. Something that was never on my radar. 20 something years and still learning more everyday.
I’ve got no idea what the added button is on the center console. Normally the button there is for the central locking on a normal 964, but it’s blank on an RS basic or NGT Clubsport. Maybe it’s for an aftermarket alarm? Too many questions with this one to justify the price they are asking. Are probably hoping someone will overlook everything just for the color.

Particularly buying cars that have spent time in Japan can be a bit risky if you’re looking for an original low mileage “blue chip” example. Odometer fraud is very common and many cars over there have had extensive paintwork. I’ve heard the insurance companies in Japan allow cars to receive a full repaint due to normal road wear such as rock chips. Not sure if they allow the repaint based on time or the overall condition of the paint. Also some cars are imported with very little documentation and whatever is there is difficult to translate. sometimes when the cars get here very little is known or disclosed about the cars past. Easy to fall for these cars as Japanese examples are the best configurations with intriguing colors and no sunroof’s. Can’t let those things cloud your judgement about how clean of an example the car is.

The stickers and there locations I’ve seen all over the place in many 964’s. US cars are the only ones that seem consistent with one another. RoW cars seem to be different, but not sure if that’s because they’ve been reapplied with correct or incorrect ones in correct or incorrect places.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:29 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
$479,964

Thats the price on the 92 964 RS N/GT in Rubystone Red at Zweck...

Seems like a reasonable value for an ultra rarity! Does anyone have any information on the cars history and if it ever sustained any damage?

lol what? $480k is good value for a Ruby 964 RS? That's insane. You can buy a darn good '73 RS for that kind of money (or maybe slightly more depending on color) and as someone who has driven both a decent amount, I would buy the '73 in a heartbeat. I know this is a 964 forum and all, but there are some seriously rose-tinted glasses on these cars right now.
s65e90 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 05:35 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 266 Posts

N/GT ^
Old 01-05-2024, 06:01 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702
N/GT ^
I get that it's an N/GT but lemme tell you something - they suck on the street. I've driven this one a number of times (https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/m...rs-ngt/1128797) and it's just not a fun street car with the full cage, etc and lord knows that Zweck car is never gonna see the track, which is the only place it would be enjoyable. Anybody buying that car is buying it as a low mileage investment piece, nothing more. If you want a rubystone NGT, you can get one for 250k-300k pretty easily, just with more miles on it (but not *high* miles).

Quick Reply: 964 Prices