Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 10:58 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Took these recently while replacing door pulls. '93 production; '94 designation. Car has had some paintwork, but I believe this is all original.

on mine, these seals are white opaque. Bought new replacements for some anticipated work and they are also white.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702
on mine, these seals are white opaque. Bought new replacements for some anticipated work and they are also white.
I just pulled the cards off my C2 the other day. Where they had been removed to remove the door handles it had turned white like that the rest was very taught and opaque looking more like the first pic. It also shrinks after drying in the spray booth.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:14 AM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

This one will be interesting to watch: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ra-4-coupe-12/

'90 C4 with PTS green and cashmere sport seats, but the front fender and door have been repainted (hmm).
Old 03-06-2023, 11:34 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
This one will be interesting to watch: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ra-4-coupe-12/

'90 C4 with PTS green and cashmere sport seats, but the front fender and door have been repainted (hmm).
Rare colour both inside and outside. Sports seats !!!!

Always wondered why sports seats were not standard equipment ..... just looks rights and feels proper.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:44 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

From the time machine :2009 Rennlist Thread - Speedway Green '90 C4
Thread highlights:
  • Seller asking $28k. No sale.
  • Seller was a "dumb ***" for not accepting a high offer of $26,5
The good ol' days of cheap 964s. 14 years later this one might sell for 6 figures.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken D:
2000m2 (03-06-2023), forbiddenbeat (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 01:09 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
From the time machine :2009 Rennlist Thread - Speedway Green '90 C4

The good ol' days of cheap 964s. 14 years later this one might sell for 6 figures.
that's crazy. PTS 964s are grail cars now. talking about a "tough 964 market" and "he would have been lucky to get $26.5".

it's already at $105k. i have to think $125k is the bottom, depending on the paint work specifics.

i'd prefer the car with a black interior, but the sport seats are a big plus.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:17 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
that's crazy. PTS 964s are grail cars now. talking about a "tough 964 market" and "he would have been lucky to get $26.5".

it's already at $105k. i have to think $125k is the bottom, depending on the paint work specifics.

i'd prefer the car with a black interior, but the sport seats are a big plus.
Wow that escalated quickly. Bidding started at $100k!

Agreed with the comment that describing the PTS merely as "green" is sad.

Also sad that I didn't have more interest/awareness of the 964 10 years ago.

Last edited by forbiddenbeat; 03-06-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:23 PM
das76
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

the listing has been updated to "Speedway green"
The following users liked this post:
forbiddenbeat (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 01:51 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Looks very similar to Signal Green which was brought in for 1991 and was available up to 1993.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:56 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Switching gears a bit (pun intended), it looks like I'll be selling my 964 Targa in the near future. Long story short, I picked it up last summer and my family doesn't enjoy it as much as I thought they would. I don't have a lot of time at this point in my life to go for drives myself – the intent was to have it as a fun car the whole family loves to ride in. Thus, I'm considering selling it and finding something else everyone likes (they all liked my 991.2 C2S *shrug*).

I'm curious on timing of selling it. I'm guessing waiting until summer and likely going BaT will fetch higher dollars (though would of course list here first), but also curious if folks have any strong leanings towards the 964 market making another jump in the near future. Part of me feels like if I sell it this year, Porsche will announce the next 911 is hybrid-only or something in a few years and air cooled market will go bananas.

I should note I'm in no way a collector and I can only afford one 6-figure "fun" car at a time. Since no one ever really wants to ride in the Targa, there'd have to be a really strong incentive to keep it around as a shorter-term investment. Realizing no one has the magic answer but would love some input.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:56 PM
user 7208208
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Switching gears a bit (pun intended), it looks like I'll be selling my 964 Targa in the near future. Long story short, I picked it up last summer and my family doesn't enjoy it as much as I thought they would. I don't have a lot of time at this point in my life to go for drives myself – the intent was to have it as a fun car the whole family loves to ride in. Thus, I'm considering selling it and finding something else everyone likes (they all liked my 991.2 C2S *shrug*).

I'm curious on timing of selling it. I'm guessing waiting until summer and likely going BaT will fetch higher dollars (though would of course list here first), but also curious if folks have any strong leanings towards the 964 market making another jump in the near future. Part of me feels like if I sell it this year, Porsche will announce the next 911 is hybrid-only or something in a few years and air cooled market will go bananas.

I should note I'm in no way a collector and I can only afford one 6-figure "fun" car at a time. Since no one ever really wants to ride in the Targa, there'd have to be a really strong incentive to keep it around as a shorter-term investment. Realizing no one has the magic answer but would love some input.
Dibs on the E88's
Old 03-06-2023, 05:14 PM
das76
Pro

dang, sorry to hear, but don't try and time the market - that's a fool's game with a car. And since you said they don't like to drive in it , then tough $h!t on them getting a higher inheritance at some point.

Side bar: I love how so many commenters on BaT think that just because values are high we all made money on these cars. But cars are not like artwork that just sit on the wall and only need a dusting and yet can increase in value. Insurance, taxes, running costs, maintenance/repairs, added garage space, tools etc. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who ACTUALLY made money as a proper investment on their car over the years.
Turbo Racer (03-12-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 06:35 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 645 Posts

i agree on trying to time the market. i initially thought the transition to EVs might kill the value of older cars - especially with places like London/UK limiting the access to certain areas completely. these green people are zealots and a bit nuts in their 'all in' approach, but the question still is 'what happens to older cars'? sustainable fuels, a resurgence of hybrid EVs for practical use, limited refineries for producing fuel, so many factors are up in the air. it seems like you know selling is the best approach for you right now. don't worry about the large picture landscape. sell at a good time of the year, spring/summer, and take what the car brings. i have no idea if i might sit on my cars too long or that they will someday be worth twice what they are today. the latter would be a big plus for retirement.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:05 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Thanks folks, sell in spring/summer it is. I do think there will be another rush at some point as it feels like the last opportunity to get desirable internal combustion cars, but who knows when that will happen (perhaps it already did).
Old 03-06-2023, 07:09 PM
das76
Pro

see if you can enjoy one more spring/summer with it and sell it in 2024

Quick Reply: 964 Prices