Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 04:40 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Sounded like considerably more than -500hp ??
Swedish car, 493 HP 550nm. Video taken from Swedish ECU manufacturer MAXX ecu's shop.

That car was built a few years ago by a handy guy who did all the work himself. Not street registered though
Old 08-09-2018, 11:27 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet build, any news on having the bell housing made?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Sweet build, any news on having the bell housing made?
Thanks. I’m still waiting on pricing from Quick Time. They are owned by Holley, and big companies don’t move very fast.

The good news is I may be buying 10 of them for the first run, so will have a few more available if anyone else wants one.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by vt951

Thanks. I’m still waiting on pricing from Quick Time. They are owned by Holley, and big companies don’t move very fast.

The good news is I may be buying 10 of them for the first run, so will have a few more available if anyone else wants one.

I'd be interested potentially, shoot me a PM. Trying to decide between the 5 cylinder and the 1.8t 20 valve though. Edited: Read back though and now it all depends on what engine I can find for cheap! A simple bell housing solution is much more attractive for me since I won't need to weld an adapter plate.

Last edited by senior_squishy; 08-10-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

I'm going to build one first and test fit it in my car. I would guess I’ll have that done within a month, so by late July. Then i can start looking at a small production run if anyone is interested. I don’t know what the cost will be yet. Don’t hold me to it, but hoping in the $500-$600 range. It really depends on volume though.

I'd also be interested in pricing for the 3-peice as well, pre-welded or in just plasma cut sheet form, preferably welded though.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:20 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I'd be interested potentially, shoot me a PM. Trying to decide between the 5 cylinder and the 1.8t 20 valve though. Edited: Read back though and now it all depends on what engine I can find for cheap! A simple bell housing solution is much more attractive for me since I won't need to weld an adapter plate.

Lots (hundreds?) of 07k engines are on eBay for around $400 shipped. I picked up mine locally for $250 complete with wire harness, ecu, and accessories. I also bought a forged crank for $100.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:23 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I'd also be interested in pricing for the 3-peice as well, pre-welded or in just plasma cut sheet form, preferably welded though.
Ok, I will let you know when I get the price for the cross member figured out. Things have taken longer than I hoped, but I’m getting close!

So you would want it welded, but without powder coating?
Old 08-11-2018, 09:37 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Lots (hundreds?) of 07k engines are on eBay for around $400 shipped. I picked up mine locally for $250 complete with wire harness, ecu, and accessories. I also bought a forged crank for $100.

Wow...this is more and more tempting as I think about it. I think as soon as I finish this move I'l have to pick up this stuff..
Old 08-11-2018, 10:08 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Ok, I will let you know when I get the price for the cross member figured out. Things have taken longer than I hoped, but I’m getting close!

So you would want it welded, but without powder coating?
Welded & no coating, yes. I can take care of that here. Good to know about the 07K's though, I've been looking around and i thought about buying a parts car but sounds like just a used engine is the best road to go down.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:56 PM
Danny8774
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work! I've been checking in on this thread from time to time. A lot of progress has happened, keep it up
Old 08-21-2018, 06:13 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Thanks Danny. It's taking a lot longer than I expected to get the bellhousings made, but I'm making progress on designing a lot of the other pieces in the meantime.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:03 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Skimming this thread on Audi 07K swap prospects, it appears that proper oil sump geometry is an issue. My dumb questions: Would a composite oil sump made of carbon fiber or fiberglass work? It would need to sustain the heat and chemical exposure, but is it necessary to be as stiff as a cast aluminum oil sump? In other words, if all the sump has to do is act as a reservoir for hot oil, a composite oil pan would be realtively simple and cheap for a layman to fabricate.

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2018, 04:52 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dash01
Skimming this thread on Audi 07K swap prospects, it appears that proper oil sump geometry is an issue. My dumb questions: Would a composite oil sump made of carbon fiber or fiberglass work? It would need to sustain the heat and chemical exposure, but is it necessary to be as stiff as a cast aluminum oil sump? In other words, if all the sump has to do is act as a reservoir for hot oil, a composite oil pan would be realtively simple and cheap for a layman to fabricate.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure... I know my F150 has a plastic composite oil pan from the factory, so maybe it could work.

Here are a few other functions of the VW aluminum sump casting that any replacement would have to replicate:
- windage tray
- oil pickup mount
- timing chain guide mount
- structural mounts for the bellhousing ** thanks V2Rocket

I'm not sure how much the VW aluminum casting contributes structurally to the engine. It has a lot of webbing on it, but it's also bolted to a stout block of cast iron, so it seems pretty insignificant structurally to me.

Last edited by vt951; 08-24-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:12 PM
ChaseAlberti
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts?
The carbon fiber or fiberglass will be fine with the temperature, but you would have to careful choosing the epoxy to use and the curing method. You would also need a pretty strong heat shield so a rock can't shatter the pan. With a quick search https://www.fibreglast.com has some high-temp. epoxies ~250F or more
Old 08-23-2018, 06:17 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Thoughts?
itd be a hell of a lot easier/cheaper for that layman to weld up a sheet-steel pan than even trying CF.
also, a single rock strike to a brittle material like FG/CF would put all the oil on the outside

I'm not sure how much the VW aluminum casting contributes structurally to the engine. It has a lot of webbing on it, but it's also bolted to a stout block of cast iron, so it seems pretty insignificant structurally to me.
a lot of time "structural oil pans" means that the trans bolts to the oil pan as well as the engine block to make the assembly more rigid.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread