Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 05:51 PM
kyle_h
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get the swap harness and ecu setup to integrate well with the 944 cluster and fuse panels and such?
Old 02-17-2020, 06:14 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle_h
did you get the swap harness and ecu setup to integrate well with the 944 cluster and fuse panels and such?
Yes! Well, the late cars will be a piece of cake. We have yet to confirm on an early car but it will still be easy.

Tach: There is a wire coming out of the harness in the passenger floorboard to connect to the factory tach wire. The OEM connector was hard to source so we are supplying a new connector with male and female sides. Snip the OEM connector, crimp on the new connector and plug it in.

Coolant, Switched 12v, Fuel & Oil: The harness will have pre-pinned leads to drop into the OEM firewall connector, done!

This will require using TWO coolant temp and oil pressure sensors, the OEM 07K and the OEM 944 sensors. We have provisions in the rear coolant flange for the coolant temp sensors and a solution for using both Oil pressure sending units.

As for the early cars, if any of these wires are in a different location the pins can be clipped off and the wires can be extended to the proper location. If anyone on here knows if the early cars have the tach wire in the same spot, as well as use the factory flat pinned connector on the firewall that info will help everyone out!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:22 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
it is more about the control strategy, which is unique to each engine block and application.
Right, okay I think I understand what you're saying.
That makes sense, and hopefully the basic NA users of this swap kit (I.E myself lol) won't need to worry about any of this, plus that's one more connection I don't have to worry about!!

As for the early cars, if any of these wires are in a different location the pins can be clipped off and the wires can be extended to the proper location. If anyone on here knows if the early cars have the tach wire in the same spot, as well as use the factory flat pinned connector on the firewall that info will help everyone out!
I'll see what I can do when I undertake the swap. My car has the typical early 944 wiring gremlins, but I'm confident I'll be able to document it fairly well.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:31 PM
kyle_h
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had the cash for this build! 😞
Old 02-17-2020, 09:43 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by hinton
We have yet to confirm on an early car but it will still be easy.
Tach: Snip the OEM connector, crimp on the new connector and plug it in.
The harness will have pre-pinned leads to drop into the OEM firewall connector, done!
As for the early cars, if any of these wires are in a different location the pins can be clipped off and the wires can be extended to the proper location.
Pictures would be extremely helpful (I know this may not be possible at the moment but I had to ask) just to know exactly how everything looks physically.
What do you mean by pre-pinned leads? Like, half-stripped ready to crimp onto the stock wires?
Are there going to be two separate harnesses that interface at the firewall?
Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Pictures would be extremely helpful (I know this may not be possible at the moment but I had to ask) just to know exactly how everything looks physically.
What do you mean by pre-pinned leads? Like, half-stripped ready to crimp onto the stock wires?
Are there going to be two separate harnesses that interface at the firewall?
I’ll provide pictures when possible.

The main harness goes through in the stock location.

The main harness has a branch that comes off of it and terminates in factory Porsche Pins. These pins replace existing pins in an existing connector.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 AM
hinton
Racer

Default Poll - Fuel Injector Connectors

All, have you looked into or decided what injectors you are going to run? The factory injectors are a Siemens Deka, where as a lot of the guys upgrading Audi's / VW's are using the Bosch EV14 injector when they upgrade. Unfortunately these two injectors use different connectors, which means we have a decision to make on the harness.

1 - Keep the OE connector, those who choose to run a different injector style can run the standard aftermarket pigtails
2 - Supply the harness with the EV14 connector, anyone running stock or upgraded Siemens injectors runs pigtails
3 - (NOT SURE IF POSSIBLE YET) Add a sub harness to the main harness and pick your connector when ordering the harness

Thoughts?
Old 02-18-2020, 10:49 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

I was planning on just using the stock injectors that came with my used engine, however, the daily started misfiring yesterday which makes me hesitant to implement used parts
In an ideal world, the harness would have a base connector to adapt for whichever injector we choose, and I'd pay an extra $25 or so to have the other type of injector connectors on hand when the time comes, but I know that's not always possible.
I'd say I'm indifferent, and will probably end up buying new injectors anyways so whichever one the majority chooses is ok with me.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:13 AM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya I agree that ideally a sub harness that you could swap out would be best but I'm ok with upgrading to better injectors vs. stock if it can only be one.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:42 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a heads up, be careful which EV14 injectors you pick. Bosch 0280158123 is made for Porsche M97 engine (porsche pn: 99760513201) and uses a dual cone spray pattern.. I think they would need to be clocked differently than the 07K rail tabs allow to properly line up the spray pattern with the intake ports.

I don't know which EV14's the Audi guys are upgrading to... maybe a totally different one. But these seem to be the most readily available and are a nice flow rate for a turbo 07K (~60 lb/hr)

Old 02-18-2020, 12:15 PM
DavidO76
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Droops83
I think that is a slight misunderstanding; it is not the sensor that is the problem (a knock sensor is a pretty basic device), but it is more about the control strategy, which is unique to each engine block and application. The OEM engineers spend countless hours tuning the knock control to each application (this is mostly based on the specific engine block, bore size, possible accessory drive interference, etc), and it is difficult to replicate in the aftermarket world. The VEMS ECU that I run in my 951 engine offers the capability of full knock control, but it is a lengthy process to set up, so I have it disabled at the moment.

I recommend checking out the HP Academy courses for the full lowdown on aftermarket knock control if you plan on an aggressive tune.
This is correct. The PE3-8400 ECU was developed for a few racing series that had specific needs, and knock control was not one of them, so to minimize costs we didn't put it on the ECU. PE is a very engineering heavy company, so they don't like to add technologies to products unless they can truly validate them. It's one thing to throw the hardware to do knock on it and say it has knock control, it's another thing to truly setup the controller so that the feature works well for the end user. Next generation PE ECUs will have knock control, but for now you can buy aftermarket knock monitoring systems and feed it into the ECU to do basic knock detection and alter timing. I've always felt the higher end stand alone knock monitoring systems that incorporate an audio element (so you can listen) work better than some of the lower cost ECUs with it built in. I wish knock control was built into the 8400, but in the mean time, we can still use external knock detection equipment that a lot of tuners recommend.

If anyone has questions, comments, or suggestions, please do not hesitate to ask. I really want to make this kit as clean and easy as I can, and if that means tweaking or adding features to the ECU code to meet your 07K needs, we will make it happen. We are here to support you!
The following 3 users liked this post by DavidO76:
Droops83 (02-19-2020), JWebber (02-18-2020), senior_squishy (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 02:25 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by DavidO76
This is correct. The PE3-8400 ECU was developed for a few racing series that had specific needs, and knock control was not one of them, so to minimize costs we didn't put it on the ECU. PE is a very engineering heavy company, so they don't like to add technologies to products unless they can truly validate them. It's one thing to throw the hardware to do knock on it and say it has knock control, it's another thing to truly setup the controller so that the feature works well for the end user. Next generation PE ECUs will have knock control, but for now you can buy aftermarket knock monitoring systems and feed it into the ECU to do basic knock detection and alter timing. I've always felt the higher end stand alone knock monitoring systems that incorporate an audio element (so you can listen) work better than some of the lower cost ECUs with it built in. I wish knock control was built into the 8400, but in the mean time, we can still use external knock detection equipment that a lot of tuners recommend.

If anyone has questions, comments, or suggestions, please do not hesitate to ask. I really want to make this kit as clean and easy as I can, and if that means tweaking or adding features to the ECU code to meet your 07K needs, we will make it happen. We are here to support you!
David didn't introduce himself, but he is the engineer from PE who has been helping us develop this kit. He has intimate knowledge of their systems and did the complete map and tuning of my NA car. He will also be tuning Alan's turbo car.
The following users liked this post:
Droops83 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:29 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All, have you looked into or decided what injectors you are going to run? The factory injectors are a Siemens Deka, where as a lot of the guys upgrading Audi's / VW's are using the Bosch EV14 injector when they upgrade. Unfortunately these two injectors use different connectors, which means we have a decision to make on the harness.

1 - Keep the OE connector, those who choose to run a different injector style can run the standard aftermarket pigtails
2 - Supply the harness with the EV14 connector, anyone running stock or upgraded Siemens injectors runs pigtails
3 - (NOT SURE IF POSSIBLE YET) Add a sub harness to the main harness and pick your connector when ordering the harness

Thoughts?
I have been meaning to ask you about this . I just received my billet fuel rail stock today and injector bit . I plan on buying new injectors anyway , so I wanted to see what PE had planned as far as tuning based on the injectors . I will go turbo later , but the way things are going right now I should be able to get the engine swapped in and running by April in NA form , so that I would be able to take it down to " The Dragon " for one of my yearly car fun weekends .
Old 02-18-2020, 06:42 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by JWebber
I have been meaning to ask you about this . I just received my billet fuel rail stock today and injector bit . I plan on buying new injectors anyway , so I wanted to see what PE had planned as far as tuning based on the injectors . I will go turbo later , but the way things are going right now I should be able to get the engine swapped in and running by April in NA form , so that I would be able to take it down to " The Dragon " for one of my yearly car fun weekends .
The NA tune is based off of stock injectors. We have not ordered the turbo injectors yet, but I believe Alan will be going 60# / 630cc injectors.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:54 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The NA tune is based off of stock injectors. We have not ordered the turbo injectors yet, but I believe Alan will be going 60# / 630cc injectors.
How much rail pressure did you end up running with the stock injectors ?

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread