944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013 | 09:34 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Looks like a very fun setup.over 200 lb/ ft by 2500. Awesome!
Old 09-19-2013 | 11:17 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Very solid power.

Did you log your temps throughout the intake tract?
Old 09-19-2013 | 11:37 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Hey Shawn. Any chance you could do a test with just an extrude hone intake change?

See what difference it makes ????

nice work also
Old 09-20-2013 | 12:29 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Very solid power.

Did you log your temps throughout the intake tract?
Thanks Sid. Here is the IC inlet/outlet temps per the "Flight Recorder" . This is with my IC sprayer which kicks in at 7-8 psi. Amazing that it sprays in the the flow box and no liquid comes out, total evaporation. AIT was 68 F until the end of the pull and then jumped a bit. This was the last pull at the highest boost. I think it is a very effective setup.

Old 09-20-2013 | 03:42 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Nice progress Shawn! I like what you're intending to do also. Be great to see some of the changes in the step by step system. Looks like yours will be 'friendlier' to drive than mine.
Old 09-20-2013 | 09:29 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
Thanks Sid. Here is the IC inlet/outlet temps per the "Flight Recorder" . This is with my IC sprayer which kicks in at 7-8 psi. Amazing that it sprays in the the flow box and no liquid comes out, total evaporation. AIT was 68 F until the end of the pull and then jumped a bit. This was the last pull at the highest boost. I think it is a very effective setup.

That IC is nuts for effectiveness...most days I don't even breathe air that cool. Car must love it!
Old 09-20-2013 | 09:47 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Great stuff Shawn, good work!
I see that the 5th injector is 160 lbs. That means the average fuel is 120 lbs per cylinder. I recalculated the the duty cycle vs power stuff and now the numbers match your latest dyno
Old 09-20-2013 | 02:51 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Your ic setup is VERY effective. You have done a great job making the most of your $$.

I have a feeling that between the TB and cam you will see quite a gain on the top end.

Again, I love the torque.

However, comparing my torque curve to yours, I'm not that disappointed in mine. I hit 400 at around 4100 and hold it to 6300. Where yours hits at 3800 and stops at around 5600.

Granted these are different dynos and I was running a couple more psi.

It truly gives me an idea of how I feel about our turbos and whether I made a mistake not going to the longer stroke yet.

Thanks for all the work and documentation!!
Old 09-20-2013 | 04:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

When I tested the stock intercooler I came to the conclusion it did a great job at least until it gets heat soaked. Your sprayer is probably fixing that (funny to see outlet temps decline as inlet starts to increase), and I bet it gets cooler still on the other side of that 5th injector.

I picked up torque and hp going from the stock Tb and intake to the SFR intake and 928 TB, but it didn't flatten out the upper rpm torque as much as I'd hoped. I have a bigger valve / ported head I'm going to try on the next motor, assuming I get around to assembling it before the block bends on the stand...
Old 09-20-2013 | 04:51 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

What are you using to spray your intercooler?
Old 09-20-2013 | 06:07 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Nice work Shawn, thanks for all your work and more importantly, documenting and sharing the information. I'd always heard that the stock IC is a good unit but that was rarely accompanied by any data to back up the statement.

Originally Posted by reno808
http://refresh951.com/ICMods.htm

Incredibly high tech stuff.
Old 09-20-2013 | 10:53 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Hey Shawn. Any chance you could do a test with just an extrude hone intake change?

See what difference it makes ????

nice work also
Potentially, I will try to work it out.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Nice progress Shawn! I like what you're intending to do also. Be great to see some of the changes in the step by step system. Looks like yours will be 'friendlier' to drive than mine.
Not at the track!

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
That IC is nuts for effectiveness...most days I don't even breathe air that cool. Car must love it!
Thanks, pretty happy with the results.

Originally Posted by Duke
Great stuff Shawn, good work!
I see that the 5th injector is 160 lbs. That means the average fuel is 120 lbs per cylinder. I recalculated the the duty cycle vs power stuff and now the numbers match your latest dyno
Thanks Duke!

Originally Posted by blown 944
Your ic setup is VERY effective. You have done a great job making the most of your $$.

I have a feeling that between the TB and cam you will see quite a gain on the top end.

Again, I love the torque.

However, comparing my torque curve to yours, I'm not that disappointed in mine. I hit 400 at around 4100 and hold it to 6300. Where yours hits at 3800 and stops at around 5600.

Granted these are different dynos and I was running a couple more psi.

It truly gives me an idea of how I feel about our turbos and whether I made a mistake not going to the longer stroke yet.

Thanks for all the work and documentation!!
Your dyno is pretty amazing especially when you consider the cost (about 3K). This Ultra Stroker has always been a bit of a case study in the extreme (wrt stroke). Time will tell what can be done on the top end with this setup. It has been a great learning experience for me and I have had loads of fun!

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
When I tested the stock intercooler I came to the conclusion it did a great job at least until it gets heat soaked. Your sprayer is probably fixing that (funny to see outlet temps decline as inlet starts to increase), and I bet it gets cooler still on the other side of that 5th injector.
I do believe the 5th injector is adding a LOT of additional cooling as it showed up during tuning. We had to make significant adjustments to AIT fuel compensation. At idle on humid days I get condensation on the IC outlet pipe at the 5th injector location.

Originally Posted by reno808
Rainbird Garden Misters from Home Depot ($5/each). Used the windshield washer pump. Found an article of some EVO guys doing it.

Originally Posted by Scott H
Nice work Shawn, thanks for all your work and more importantly, documenting and sharing the information. I'd always heard that the stock IC is a good unit but that was rarely accompanied by any data to back up the statement.

http://refresh951.com/ICMods.htm

Incredibly high tech stuff.
At some point I want to do a back-to-back comparison with the stock IC against my modified unit with the sprayers.
Old 09-21-2013 | 02:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Wait, did I just read you are using a Hobbs switch to trigger the I/C spray? Clearly, now that you are Arduino-enabled you need to over-engineer that the heck out of that and create an intelligent trigger based on multiple inputs (air temp, engine temp, psi, boost setting, Aztec calendar, e-RAM status, knock input, etc.). You might also check your logs to see if a little after-boost spray would be useful. I noticed that the I/C temps remained a bit elevated for a while after boosting, which would contribute to heat soak if you boost very frequently.
Old 09-21-2013 | 03:18 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Wait, did I just read you are using a Hobbs switch to trigger the I/C spray? Clearly, now that you are Arduino-enabled you need to over-engineer that the heck out of that and create an intelligent trigger based on multiple inputs (air temp, engine temp, psi, boost setting, Aztec calendar, e-RAM status, knock input, etc.). You might also check your logs to see if a little after-boost spray would be useful. I noticed that the I/C temps remained a bit elevated for a while after boosting, which would contribute to heat soak if you boost very frequently.
Great idea Tom, started working on my Arduino EBC aka "Flight Controller" today Thread coming soon.
Old 09-21-2013 | 04:23 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Interesting side note: looking at pressure data I have logged I think I understand why the factory tapped the pressure signal for the WG on the IC inlet pipe rather than the intake or the IC outlet pipe. I calibrated my logger today and increased the sample rate and it is pretty obvious that with the factory intake the IC outlet pipe is essentially acting as a plenum at WOT and is pretty dynamic (helmholtz resonation). The inlet pipe is a much more stable reference.

Quick Reply: Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build