Congrats, now we need some vids of that bad boy
Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Sean, it looks great. I look forward to hearing your impression once you drive it.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that Patrick has reminded me of this thread.. How has it been?! Builds are nice to read, but there just aren't enough follow ups. Any kind of bumps since right over a year ago? Just been driving and smiling? Changed anything? What psi are you running? Do you raise or lower it at the track? Suspension? Any kind of tuning advice, or things you've noticed while getting yours set up?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Bruce,
Actually its been pretty much smooth sailing. well Almost, the intake i was using on this engine cracked on its first track day. The main weld split open. THis was due to no support on the inside of the plenum. It was an easy fix. i used 2 pieces of 10mm aluminium and welded them through the plenum.

On the street and track we run 1.4-1.5bar, we have checked the CV's twice since the build and had to replace one due to wear. Its also a good idea to take them apart, clean and repack after a few track days. We initially used a stock clutch in the car but it started to slip after the first track day. We then changed to a KEP2 with a stock disc and have never been happier. its a bit heavier then stock but its progressive just like the standard clutch. no slip, no shutter at all. the car runs on E85 95% of the time. only when we go on trips where E85 is not available i will use pump.

Unrelated to the engine we had an issue with the Polibronze bushes in the Tbar carrier. The problem we had was that the actual poly section of the bush had moved slowly. This meant that we were unable to insert any more grease. We re drilled the grease nipple holes and pinned the poly in place and im sure that will cure it.

Although we have not dynoed the car i can say its got a ****load of power. the GO pedal never fails to put a smile on your face. We get 1 bar boost about 3000-3100rpm and being a 16v the cams make power all the way till 6200rpm. unlike the 8v where the stock cam stopped making power around 5600rpm. with all the talk from Sid and his quarter miles i will head out to our local strip soon and give it a go. At a recent track day we were chasing a 2005 996 GT3 RSR with a 2012 4ltr RSR engine. power wise down the straight we are very close, the only edge it had on me was the sequential trans. each of his shift would be 100th of a sec whereas our shifts would be around 800th of a second.

The Motons are the best shock we have ever used. Its so far ahead of the rest its just not funny. We have found that you have so much control of the spring. We have used as little as 300# springs on a customers street car up to 850 pound spring on our own car. Even with the 850# spring its completely drivable on the street. I cannot say enough about Motons.

regards
Sean
Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sean, it is quite the machine you've put together.

If you do decide to go to the 1/4 mile... Please don't put it too far out of my range..lol
Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the follow up. That was good to hear. I'm not shocked at all that the stock Clutch didn't hold. Happy to hear another fellow E-85 user.

I have also heard the same about the Motons. I just bought a cheap test and tune set of coil overs and will be going to the Motons Early next year. Or whatever those guys call themselves now.

Anxious to see your Track mph. Not too concerned about the times. It's better to go a little softer at the start if you're not used to it.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
We then changed to a KEP2 with a stock disc and have never been happier.
Are you using the stock 951 clutch fork and, if so, have you had any problems with it breaking or cracking?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 AM
JET951
Drifting

Originally Posted by blown 944
Sean, it is quite the machine you've put together.

If you do decide to go to the 1/4 mile... Please don't put it too far out of my range..lol
Hey Sid,
Don't worry I won't push it too hard, I have been to the strip in the past. With my old 2.5 on 1 bar I managed a 13.2 @ 109mph with a 2.2 60foot. On my third run I went for it and lunched our gearbox. Which at the time destroyed the S crownwheel and pinion along with the Modena LSD. It got expensive.

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Thank you for the follow up. That was good to hear. I'm not shocked at all that the stock Clutch didn't hold. Happy to hear another fellow E-85 user.

I have also heard the same about the Motons. I just bought a cheap test and tune set of coil overs and will be going to the Motons Early next year. Or whatever those guys call themselves now.

Anxious to see your Track mph. Not too concerned about the times. It's better to go a little softer at the start if you're not used to it.
They are great shocks Bruce. Still called Moton but owned by a parent company. I think asp suspension or something.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Are you using the stock 951 clutch fork and, if so, have you had any problems with it breaking or cracking?
No problems yet Tom, the car has done quite a few kms, I think 4 track days and 3 motokhanas. Yes the car is using a standard fork
Sean
Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks

Moton was purchased by AST and the guys who actually ran the company and did the R&D/support founded a new company Motion Control Suspension. If you are in the market for quality shocks they are a step up from the old Moton. I have Moton CS and they are a great product but if I was in the market for new shocks MSC would be my choice; their shocks have some nice upgrades and features and are priced competetively. Lex Carson is the technical sales contact in the US and was the guy that put Moton on the map over the last decade working with Pro teams as well as club racers. Check them out at www.motioncontrolsuspension.com
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM
JET951
Drifting

Pre-season update.
With our first motokhana coming up next weekend (17th) we decided to rebuild the original wiring harness on our car, and since the inlet manifold was off we also decided it would be a good time to replace the head gasket.
The car is a daily driver and since the new 16v 3.0ltr we have travelled 19,223kms. This includes 6 motokhanas and 7 sprint events. The car runs 1.5bar(22 psi) boost on a daily basis and at all track events. Its also been solely using E85.
So looks like it was a good idea to replace the MLS head gasket. It had not breached yet but by the look of it , it was not going to last much longer. you can see in the pictures where the spring steel has worn through. As expected the Wossner pistons have been performing perfectly in the alusil bores.
Sean
Attached Images        
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Harness looks nice Sean. Must feel better to put this back into the car...so long as it starts!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you think the gasket damage is from head movement ?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 AM
JET951
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Harness looks nice Sean. Must feel better to put this back into the car...so long as it starts!
You dont have faith in my wiring skills Patrick? Im glad we got around to doing this, all of the injector harness wires were frayed, the knock sensor plug was barely holding on. It was just crumbling to bits.

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Do you think the gasket damage is from head movement ?
I think its head movement and cylinder movement. In the past with the 2.5ltr engines we could run almost double the events on 1.1 bar compared to 1.5 bar. The more boost we run the faster the Cometic gaskets would wear on that sealing ring. I think we are getting slight cylinder lift with the boost, not enough to break the seal, but enough so that the vibrations caused by the moving pistons cause this "rubbing" effect on the Cometics.

Even if the cometic does not last any longer then a stock gasket, they are still worth it in our opinion. Even when they do breach they seal up when not on boost. meaning we can drive the car home or back to the shop for replacement.
Sean
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
Pre-season update.
With our first motokhana coming up next weekend (17th) we decided to rebuild the original wiring harness on our car, and since the inlet manifold was off we also decided it would be a good time to replace the head gasket.
The car is a daily driver and since the new 16v 3.0ltr we have travelled 19,223kms. This includes 6 motokhanas and 7 sprint events. The car runs 1.5bar(22 psi) boost on a daily basis and at all track events. Its also been solely using E85.
So looks like it was a good idea to replace the MLS head gasket. It had not breached yet but by the look of it , it was not going to last much longer. you can see in the pictures where the spring steel has worn through. As expected the Wossner pistons have been performing perfectly in the alusil bores.
Sean
That's a great track record! Too bad you never had the car on a dyno or did some acceleration sprints. Also interesting to see that the gasket looks at worst on cyl 4. Wonder how the gasket would have looked if you had the bigger 9/16 studs..
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 AM
fred27
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work on the harness Sean. Good to see the Alusil/Wossner combo working so well. Thanks for sharing this info.

Quick Reply: 3ltr twincam engine, coming together