Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Winter Project - carnage photos inside - updated

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:37 AM
5speed300
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a question for you while you've got the interior apart. I took my seats out to fix the power function on them, and they were held in by 4 bolts (1986 turbo). I know it should have 6 bolts for each seat, but the PO installed 5pt. harnesses and must have left them out.

Anyway, the inside rear seat mount hole ( where the seat bolt goes through and into the body) is completely through the bottom of my car. I feel 99% sure this shouldn't be the case, but when i full screw the bolt in, I can actually see the end of it sticking out from the bottom of the car about 1/4 of an inch. Just curious if yours was the same?

I'm not sure its hurting anything as the bolts do not hit the brake lines or anything, but I like my cars to be put together correctly.

So again, its the rearmost bolt hole closest to the torque tube tunnel on both sides. If you wouldn't mind checking for me next time your out there that would be very helpful!

Thanks and good luck!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:42 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a problem, I'll look tomorrow when I'm putting the trailing arms back in!

If I had to say so right now though, I'd say no, they shouldnt be all the way through.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

No, my bolts do not go all the way through. They might under the undercoating, but I'm not stripping the floor pans till I can get it up on a lift to do that.

Not much of an update, no photos of what I did the other night. Worked on the engine a bit, put the rear suspension in. My spec flywheel showed up, unfortunately UPS must've played soccer with it, because it's damaged. So I sent Lindsey an email to ask if they want it back or should I send it to Spec. Hopefully that gets resolved ASAP as I'd like to drop the engine in next week.

Did a bit of cleanup, have some sanding/cleaning to do. Should be painting outside Monday.

Clutch refresh stuff showed up.

Rear suspension back together, with the floor out I can slip the torque tube in with the rear suspension in. Dont mind the mess, what I didnt vacuum up in the interior I literally was just pitching out the door.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

awesome work mike did you rebuild the TT or just throw one in until thet new turbo motor is ready?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I'm rebuilding the old one for the turbo motor, the one in the NA was in fine condition.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
5speed300
Racer

Awesome, thanks for checking for me!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Ok, not much in the line of visual, been working on the wiring harness stuff a ton as that's the biggest thing left to do now. Hopefully that Spec flywheel thing gets taken care of in the next 3 days and I'll drop the short block in and put the transaxle in. I put the entire brake system back together, put all new hardware in the rear suspension and got it all torqued down (though I still have to put front and rear sways back on). Put the 968 lower brake ducts back on as I had pulled them to clean them up and put new hardware in when I refinished the fabcar arms. Also put the torque tube on and the heat shielding under the car. The door panels finally came back off as tomorrow I should be washing the engine bay and cleaning up the interior and masking the car off (might primer the interior tomorrow, we'll see how the weather and progress goes.) Anyway, just a few photos for tonight.

The only bits of the stock harness I'm using.

Engine bay starting to look a bit more complete, still missing the main act

Started moving/cleaning stuff.(Almost no light on this side of the garage so the bling bling orange lip on the wheels is almost invisible )

Awaiting a cage, floor, transaxle, and fuel cell.

Hopefully should start changing as of tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

great work. i really want to see this car in person
Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts

your a crazy man, your new wheels look hot. you did a great job with them.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
flosho
Pro

Im interested to hear what that thing is going to sound like with ITBs! Should be sweet.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does he get so much done?

Every time I call Mike, it seems as though I am waking him up from a nap. I always wondered how he got so much done on his car? How could someone who seemingly never works on his car, accomplish so much?

Well, today I went to Mike's house to scavenge some parts and what do I find? Six undocumented Mexicans working feverishly on his car, while he sits back in this leather recliner watching tv with a beer in his hand! He was barking orders like a man possessed, to which they replied "si perra!" I'm not sure what that means.

I was going to take a picture, but as soon as I pulled out the camera his 'staff' fled the scene. They must have thought I was with the INS. Sorry Mike, I hope they come back soon, I know you still have a lot of work to do...er....have them do...

Mystery solved.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

First time out of the garage since sometime in September. The car is soooo light (especially lacking an engine and transaxle). Literally I can push on one tire and get the car rolling at a fairly good clip, like wheeling a formula car around. Requires ZERO effort. Decided to use Jim's method and use a can of stripeeze I had sitting around. After getting it unfrozen poured it in the interior on the parts where the tar was. Let it sit for about an hour while I ate dinner and played a couple games of cards. Came back out, sprayed it down with the hose, vacuumed it all up and started going to town with the wire wheel on the die grinder at a lower speed. Worked like a charm, almost finished the drivers side when the die grinder finally kicked the bucket (was a cheap $10 harbor freight one that had been dieing for a few weeks now). So that's about as far as I got today. I did spend some time cleaning the engine bay and flattening out the frame rail heat shielding (more on that later). Still really need to pressure wash and scrub the engine bay though. We'll see how nice it is tomorrow. Supposed to snow Friday
Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

And Jim, , seriously was in tears when I read that.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:10 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool. Scraping that tar off is a major PITA.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:54 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Spent a ton of time in the car today. Was sitting on the crossmember for awhile cleaning the engine bay, was taping off and masking other parts, put down the first coat of paint for the interior, etc, etc. Pics basically speak for themselves.

Man the weather is nice! Broke 55 today, was outside in short sleeves and loving it.

An odd view from below, I say odd because it's so rare to have so much natural light when viewing from this angle.

Engine bay while cleaning up the last of the grime.

Masking, more masking, and part way through coat #1.

Quick Reply: 951 Winter Project - carnage photos inside - updated