Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilson's thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:29 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
cam advance really wakes the car up, a lot...dont know at what point the returns start to diminish though, but i intend to find out slowly..
I know it wakes the car up, but Noah's camshaft is a JME camshaft. So if JME got it right, which I strongly assume, then advancing the camshaft by 7° would counteract Jon's efforts.
Apart from that you know, advancing the camshaft starts the EVO event earlier, which increases EGT. Thus the EV and seats are much more stressed.
Imho the biggest wake up for the car, is to switch to a modern engine management --> NA-Tune, MegaSquirt, Augtronic etc....
Old 07-21-2015, 06:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by H.F.B.
I know it wakes the car up, but Noah's camshaft is a JME camshaft. So if JME got it right, which I strongly assume, then advancing the camshaft by 7° would counteract Jon's efforts.
Apart from that you know, advancing the camshaft starts the EVO event earlier, which increases EGT. Thus the EV are much more stressed.
Imho the biggest wake up for the car, is to switch to a modern engine management.
definitely agree with you on the tuning, but cam timing does work!
just by advancing the cam 2 degrees and tuning for it, i picked up +5whp/+7wtq
Old 07-21-2015, 06:35 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

You don't have a JME camshaft, just a simple 9R.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

not even, i have the 5R

but yes i have wondered about playing with timing on the JME cams, since they aren't meant to meet smog like the stock ones are. it may be that more can be had by playing with the timing of the JME cam as even he was probably looking for a balance of low end vs high rpm power.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

V2, the first JME cam I bought from him was really great and will deliver up to 18 hp AND MEET SMOG... so might be something you'd b interested in trying.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by H.F.B.
Apart from that you know, advancing the camshaft starts the EVO event earlier, which increases EGT. Thus the EV and seats are much more stressed.
Imho the biggest wake up for the car, is to switch to a modern engine management --> NA-Tune, MegaSquirt, Augtronic etc....
Next move for this guy is a MAF or MAP.

I think you are correct HFB, when I asked Jon about advancing the S3-14 cam, he said "why? unless you shaved the head..."

Last edited by Noahs944; 07-22-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:00 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noahs944
V2, the first JME cam I bought from him was really great and will deliver up to 18 hp AND MEET SMOG... so might be something you'd b interested in trying.
yea, definitely got my eye on that thing.

going to see how much i can reasonably get out of the 5R/9R (stock cams) first though.

what do you mean "the first JME cam"...did you switch to a different one?
what happened to the first one...
Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Noah, you should really consider migrating to standalone. If you're shelling out that much for head work, it's s no brainer. It's really not as challenging as some make it out to be.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:47 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

yea, definitely got my eye on that thing.

going to see how much i can reasonably get out of the 5R/9R (stock cams) first though.

what do you mean "the first JME cam"...did you switch to a different one?
what happened to the first one...
I have a couple thousand kms on it. I bought it like a year and a bit ago. It was a really good cam. I noticed more improvement going to that one than going to the second one (the "big" one as I call it). ***EDIT: what I'm trying to say is the first cam was say 18 hp gain whereas the second was 28 hp gain, so by going bigger, the performance was increased, but I didn't really "feel the jump" as much as the first time.*** That S3-14 cam with a 4 degree advance & stock head gave me some thrilling driving experiences.

Thought about selling it, but don't think it's very marketable because of what I paid (these cams cost me about $1100 u.s. each landed) after customs charges.

ouch!

944 people have said to me "why pay so much?"... Well my answer is - we all know how tough it is to squeeze more power out of these things. If you are going to do it, do it right. When I look at dollar per horse, I view the cam actually better value than upgrading the headers & exhaust. The balance shaft delete, the cat delete, the throttle cam & the chip were cheap. After that, things get expensive. The best money I feel I have spent on expensive stuff so far are: Milledge cam, Stall headers/free flow exhaust & headwork. In that order. I'm kind of saving the maf or map for desert. Who knows Michael? Maybe I'll try to duplicate your standalone work in a year or two!

Last edited by Noahs944; 07-22-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Browar
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Can You confirm that You have/had Stahl header & JME S3-14 cam?
Was It worth It? I mean I know how expensive those two parts are alone but from performance increase... I have to know before installations to my 924S...
Next year I will combine those parts with Augtronic.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noahs944
944 people have said to me "why pay so much?"... Well my answer is - we all know how tough it is to squeeze more power out of these things. If you are going to do it, do it right. When I look at dollar per horse, I view the cam actually better value than upgrading the headers & exhaust. The balance shaft delete, the cat delete, the throttle cam & the chip were cheap. After that, things get expensive. The best money I feel I have spent on expensive stuff so far are: Milledge cam, Stall headers/free flow exhaust & headwork. In that order. I'm kind of saving the maf or map for desert. Who knows Michael? Maybe I'll try to duplicate your standalone work in a year or two!
do you have any power goal in mind?
admittedly the number is sort of meaningless, it's all about the car's feel, but sometimes you want to have a bragging right in mind

my goal with my power project is to get to 143 (the factory crank hp rating for my car) at the wheels, so about 168 crank out of a stock-internal early 2.5.
im 8 away

after that, if i dont get me supercharger done, ill go with a larger-displacement NA engine and/or the milledge "smog" cam to see what i can do there. i think the MAF and tuning ability is the great enabler here. i think it's entirely doable now with a 3.0L 8v and decently high compression (around 10:1), tuned right and with the right camming, to have a 91-pump-gas doable 200 crank hp (and a torque curve for days)

i have no interest whatsoever in a 16v setup, unless a fresh S2 engine fell into my lap.

its more about the project than the money for me though, i need something to think about to fill my down-time at work lol
Old 07-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Wow! Great thread. Not sure how I missed this. Must have been while I was napping.

Thanks for sharing the adventures of Wilson.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Browar
Hi,
Can You confirm that You have/had Stahl header & JME S3-14 cam?
Was It worth It? I mean I know how expensive those two parts are alone but from performance increase... I have to know before installations to my 924S...
Next year I will combine those parts with Augtronic.
Bro: YES, this is that is my first/milder cam & it was worth it. It really woke the car up at open throttle and idled better than the bigger cam for daily use:
http://jonmilledgeengineering.com/product/s3-14/

YES, the STAHL long tube header (I use with a cat delete & mated to Dansk exhaust) was also worth it. The primary tubes are 1 3/4". STAHL made primary tube diameters of 1 5/8", 1 3/4" & 1 7/8" for tuning for different driving/rpm usage. I would have ordered 1 7/8" but they weren't available. The 1 3/4" is actually better for mid rpms. I bought from Mantis http://www.mantissport.ca/

The Porsche community might say "stock is better". I suspect that is because they haven't tried some good long tube headers. Are the factory exhaust headers better for torque? Maybe. I haven't done a dyno yet. I like to hear the engine scream, I like to see the speedo needle climb & I love the feeling of going quick. The Milledge cam s3-14 has it's best rpm starting at 3600. You can feel the difference once you start touching that rpm.

But replace your valve springs when you do the cam. Replace with TURBO springs. Then you can floor it to 5000-7000rpm & not worry. THAT is the rpm that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end anyway, isn't it?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Is your head height stock? Not shaved?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Wow! Great thread. Not sure how I missed this. Must have been while I was napping.

Thanks for sharing the adventures of Wilson.
Scott, thanks for dropping by and saying "hi"

Quick Reply: Wilson's thread