Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get more power out of NA, looking for 400hp ++

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

What is the sensor that is sitting in the oil dipstick hole?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd take a n/a audi 5 cylinder swap before a v8 in a 944 any day
New casted bellhousings which allow to install Audi 5 cylinder directly to 944's torquetube will be soon available....

I can consider driving a 944 with LSx series engine. Unfortunately local laws does not allow it.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Can we get a picture of the whole exhaust manifold?
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1987Porsche944WithRealLongName

I'd take a n/a audi 5 cylinder swap before a v8 in a 944 any day
I have to admit I think about that every month or two when driving my S4.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Dawgz83948
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, I can't wait for the dyno sheet to see where she stands......
Old 08-26-2011, 08:24 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

I think I'm going to speak a little differently than my fellow v8 swappers...

This is the most impressive engine build I personally have ever seen, and if money were not an issue for me, I would be lining up to have the next one built...for me I see the V8 swap as cheap power, call it cheating if you will (and i know some will). I would pull the v8 out of my car so damn fast if I had a motor like this that I could replace it with.

Another point...I can't speak for LSx engines, but I know that I have had multitudes of reliability issues with my LT1. I did the swap because I thought I could get more reliable horsepower in the same car that I loved so much, but i was dead wrong (I've lost count of how many times I've been towed or pulled or picked up or trailered after breaking down in my swap...and I have put decent money into it, good parts, and good work).

For those of you who would say "just throw an LSx in there and be done with it" I say this. The Flying Lizard ALMS car has a Porsche based motor in it right? Why don't they just put a worked LS9 in it and call it a day? I mean, the "torque curve" will be so much wider! /sarcasm off

Henk, thank you for sharing this with us, and Mr. Mount, keep up the good work! I look forward to hearing some videos of this thing!

To actually talk about your build for a second...what other modifications are you doing to the car to handle that kind of power and speed? Any links you'd like to point me toward to show brakes and other driveline modifications? I'd expect at 400 horses out of a 4 banger you'd be looking for some tough gears to put behind it!

Kick some *** man!

Last edited by lovemyp-car; 08-30-2011 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (04-23-2022)
Old 08-27-2011, 12:58 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
I think I'm going to speak a little differently than my fellow v8 swappers...

This is the most impressive engine build I personally have ever seen, and if money were not an issue for me, I would be lining up to have the next one built...for me I see the V8 swap as cheap power, call it cheating if you will (and i know some will). I would pull the v8 out of my car so damn fast if I had a motor like this that I could replace it with.

Another point...I can't speak for LSx engines, but I know that I have had multitudes of reliability issues with my LT1. I did the swap because I thought I could get more reliable horsepower in the same car that I loved so much, but i was dead wrong (I've lost count of how many times I've been towed or pulled or picked up or trailered after breaking down in my swap...and I have put decent money into it, good parts, and good work).

For those of you who would say "just throw an LSx in there and be done with it" I say this. The Flying Lizard ALMS car has a Porsche based motor in it right? Why don't they just put a worked LS9 in it and call it a day? I mean, the "torque curve" will be so much wider!

Henk, thank you for sharing this with us, and Mr. Mount, keep up the good work! I look forward to hearing some videos of this thing!

To actually talk about your build for a second...what other modifications are you doing to the car to handle that kind of power and speed? Any links you'd like to point me toward to show brakes and other driveline modifications? I'd expect at 400 horses out of a 4 banger you'd be looking for some tough gears to put behind it!

Kick some *** man!
Etan, here's the link ; https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...4-project.html

henk
Old 08-27-2011, 04:15 AM
HJK
Pro

and some intake details, lifted from Michael's tread on the head
Attached Images      
Old 08-27-2011, 04:18 AM
HJK
Pro

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Can we get a picture of the whole exhaust manifold?
The manifold still has to be build. this one's for the engine dyno....
Old 08-27-2011, 04:50 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Looks just fantastic. I suppose it's not economically wise to keep such a manifolds sitting on the self getting some dust on it. Most likely just few kits will be sold during a year. Looking forward to see dyno figures.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Looks just fantastic. I suppose it's not economically wise to keep such a manifolds sitting on the self getting some dust on it. Most likely just few kits will be sold during a year. Looking forward to see dyno figures.
Olli,
There are only two of these intake systems; one on the Raetech/Finch championship 944, the other on Henk's engine. If it works as well as we're expecting, there will likely be interest in more. Numbers will be limited, though, since development and manufacturing costs were quite high so it's a big ticket item.

"The only way to make a small fortune racing is to start with a large one."
Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HJK
The manifold still has to be build. this one's for the engine dyno....
It makes alot more sence now, i got slightly confused and wondering how it was going to fit in the bay
Old 08-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Olli,
There are only two of these intake systems; one on the Raetech/Finch championship 944, the other on Henk's engine. If it works as well as we're expecting, there will likely be interest in more. Numbers will be limited, though, since development and manufacturing costs were quite high so it's a big ticket item.

"The only way to make a small fortune racing is to start with a large one."

OK, so the other ITB system is installed to 944 which was introduced on Excellence magazine's August 2009 issue.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Bump to the Top!

I'm really excited to see any progress you guys have made, good luck!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
n/a 400 hp ? bahhhhhhh. maybe with a billion dollars, nasa engineers, you might see 250 ponies after running nitrooo/tolulene mix and NOS WHOOPPASS.... like i do when i get pissed off and go cruising... tbcd.
Sir, do your research! Michael Mount is one of the most respected engine builders here. You should listen and learn and be careful not to dismiss his efforts.

Quick Reply: How to get more power out of NA, looking for 400hp ++