Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get more power out of NA, looking for 400hp ++

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Henk - and everyone else in this thread -

I didn't have the coin you did for my engine build, but do not let people on this forum criticize you for hunting for N/A power. I suspect these twin-cam engines respond exceptionally well to modification. On this forum this is some kind of conspiracy to deny that - so that everyone will get a turbo or a V8?

I built up a 2.5 liter S engine with the following,
No balance shafts,
No A/C or power steering
Crank and Rods from an 83 944 (RARST forged)
Lightened steel flywheel balanced to the crankshaft
Cleaned up the castings in the intake / exhaust ports with a dremel
Decked head to the limit to bring flat / remove corrosion but used stock headgasket for increased compression
Solid lifters on the hydraulic cams with the cams retarded 2 degrees (The solid lifters changed my intake duration to that of an S2 cam but with different timing)
TurboS Oil pan/ crank scraper
S2 intake
Completely removed emissions on the intake
Bored out 8V N/A throttle body done by me to 60mm
Cone filter
Deleted cat - only stock muffler in the rear

This car is in a lightweight chassis with a 924S transmission with LSD. It pulls MUCH harder through 1st 2nd and 3rd. These mods have changed the engine so dramatically that the computer literally no longer has the correct ignition and fuel tables for it to run correctly. Even though it pulls harder, it still runs quite poor. Has ignition ping, and to kill it I have to run rich (10:1 at WOT!!!) to keep it drivable right now. What I'm saying is it still pulls harder than the original S even with this handicap and with a tune I fully expect to clear out another 15-20hp up top. Stock engine was 188 - I am most certainly over 200 with the handicapped tune.

Dont be fooled - there's definitely power to be had in these little engines - even on a budget like I was!!

Last edited by pjburges; 04-19-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:21 PM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Lol my ricey 4 cyl makes more power than any of the V8 conversions, but I cannot argue the cost/power ratio.

What engine management will be used for the build? What compression ratio?
She'll run on Motec as does the current engine. I don't know cr plan yet, will run on avgas 100ll.

Michael might chip in....

Henk
Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
HJK
Pro

Originally Posted by pjburges

I didn't have the coin you did for my engine build, but do not let people on this forum criticize you for hunting for N/A power. I suspect these twin-cam engines respond exceptionally well to modification. On this forum this is some kind of conspiracy to deny that - so that everyone will get a turbo or a V8?

No balance shafts,
No A/C or power steering
Decked head to the limit to bring flat / remove corrosion but used stock headgasket for increased compression
Solid lifters on the hydraulic cams with the cams retarded 2 degrees (The solid lifters changed my intake duration to that of an S2 cam but with different timing)
S2 intake
Cone filter

This car is in a lightweight chassis with a 924S transmission with LSD. It pulls MUCH harder through 1st 2nd and 3rd. These mods have changed the engine so dramatically that the computer literally no longer has the correct ignition and fuel tables for it to run correctly. Even though it pulls harder, it still runs quite poor. Has ignition ping, and to kill it I have to run rich (10:1 at WOT!!!) to keep it drivable right now. What I'm saying is it still pulls harder than the original S even with this handicap and with a tune I fully expect to clear out another 15-20hp up top. Stock engine was 188 - I am most certainly over 200 with the handicapped tune.

Dont be fooled - there's definitely power to be had in these little engines - even on a budget like I was!!
There's plenty to be had, I agree. Guess we'll see the results in few months and if it doesnt work I can always revert to turboing my na
Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by pjburges

No balance shafts,
No A/C or power steering
TurboS Oil pan/ crank scraper
S2 intake
Cone filter

Pj- I would love to see pics of your car if you have any :P
Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 AM
HJK
Pro

Just to remind some of the LS followers, what we're trying to build is a PORSCHE race car, that's what i want for its classification. Engine swaps to other brands are out of the question. Also this tread wasn't intended to show the economics of maximizing a Porsche engine. The idea is to show that it can be done and that it can deliver decent numbers. If you really want.
Henk
Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I was thinking about putting truck diesel in 944. Just to brag with torque curve
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
I was thinking about putting truck diesel in 944. Just to brag with torque curve
Agreed, since torque is obviously what accelerates a vehicle according to the common knowledge of RL
Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 for Michael Mount!!! You will be very happy with his work. I know I am.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff951NJ
+1 for Michael Mount!!! You will be very happy with his work. I know I am.
Do tell....
Old 04-21-2011, 03:01 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Henk - could you show close-ups of the intake and exhaust port of the engine? What exhaust are you running? Cheers~
Old 04-21-2011, 04:06 AM
HJK
Pro

Originally Posted by bad_monkey
Hi Henk - could you show close-ups of the intake and exhaust port of the engine? What exhaust are you running? Cheers~
I can't really, because the engine is in the USA and I'm in the Land of Smiles, but Michael will make pictures when he progresses and he will have a look at this tread every now and then, so that should come...
H
Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
Nobody is discouraging modding an NA motor, all we're saying is that it's much cheaper to reach that target HP by just converting to an LS platform rather than try to build up the NA motor. 333pg333 got it right, there's very few reasons to build a high HP 4 cylinder instead of converting to an LS platform. Unless you're racing and thus have engine requirements, or just want the 4 cylinder, both of which it seems the OP falls under. So best of luck to him, and I hope this thread gets updated with some nice engine shots.

?
Well I was kinda saying both things. As much as I can see the reason that some people like to swap into a V8 I will never do this. V8s have their place, just not in a 944 in my opinion. Every video I see of these cars on the track just looks like a Sunday out on the bay in a powerboat. Lots of torque but no excitement or skill. No gear changes and very little throttle balance.

Having said that, the V8 Corvettes, R35s, BMWs are killing them on the racetrack so what do I know.

I can't wait to see Henk's car on the track and listen to that thing spin up to 8500rpm....because that's where it will need to be to even have a hope of 400bhp. Nevertheless, it will be a thing of beauty and sound plus incredibly fast on the track. I would back this car against the fastest V8 Hybrid going around...mine too. Look forward to it Henk!!

Last edited by 333pg333; 04-21-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:46 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Henk - roger that, will be awesome to see as it progresses. I'm keen to see if the inlet port needs to open much to get to these power levels. Theoretically the exhaust is a complicated question. For a higher RPM engine my thought is that the port shouldn't be opened up too much - trying to create a De Laval nozzle for the supersonic gas exiting the exhaust to maximise gas velocity and minimise reversion on overlap.

Full respect to your effort - I really enjoyed your inital build thread, hope to copy your cage :P
Old 04-21-2011, 07:27 AM
HJK
Pro

Originally Posted by bad_monkey
Henk - roger that, will be awesome to see as it progresses. I'm keen to see if the inlet port needs to open much to get to these power levels. Theoretically the exhaust is a complicated question. For a higher RPM engine my thought is that the port shouldn't be opened up too much - trying to create a De Laval nozzle for the supersonic gas exiting the exhaust to maximise gas velocity and minimise reversion on overlap.

Full respect to your effort - I really enjoyed your inital build thread, hope to copy your cage :P
cage came from customcages in uk as puzzle.
did you read the intake article (and flow) from the link on the intake we're using?

http://www.raetech.com/Engine/Fuel_I...evelopment.php
Old 04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What bearing will fail first, rod or crank?

Quick Reply: How to get more power out of NA, looking for 400hp ++