Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Don't let it get to the point we did. The only defense I have is, the laundry list of stuff that needs attention on her car is huge. We recently did: camshaft (damaged due to hack-job woodruff key), waterpump, timing belt, front end seals, radiator temperature sensor, O2 sensor, motor mounts, oil cooler seals, alternator, starter and passenger side door handle. With the new ball joints - at least she can drive the car again.
Is that all, sounds like a short weekend for some of these cars, and the to do list on most....

She was lucky to be right around the corner when it happened... I once was stationed in TX.. had a squad mate that was driving down the highway, and laughed at the unlucky SOB that lost a tire as one went bouncing past him..then he hit his brakes, and ralized it was his tire!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Is that all, sounds like a short weekend for some of these cars, and the to do list on most....

She was lucky to be right around the corner when it happened... I once was stationed in TX.. had a squad mate that was driving down the highway, and laughed at the unlucky SOB that lost a tire as one went bouncing past him..then he hit his brakes, and ralized it was his tire!
Is that all? No - actually, it's not. It's just the highlights. If your claim is not an exaggeration - that's one hell of a short weekend.

Funny story about the mate with the tire that came off. I've heard similar stories. Most involving British cars. Then they often end the story by quoting that famous country song - "You picked a fine time to leave me loose-wheel".
Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM
racer
Drifting

I finally got around to taking a pic of my new 944:

Name:  DSCN2793.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  201.8 KB
Old 10-13-2009, 06:26 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rebuild on the ball joint does not look very hard to do,But how hard is it getting the control arm out ?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Is that all? No - actually, it's not. It's just the highlights. If your claim is not an exaggeration - that's one hell of a short weekend.

Funny story about the mate with the tire that came off. I've heard similar stories. Most involving British cars. Then they often end the story by quoting that famous country song - "You picked a fine time to leave me loose-wheel".
Oh..I have had weekends like that... like every time I buy one of these cars... I start with a price I am willing to pay, then I go find the car...

My neighbors (since moved) called the county on me when I have my entire front end pulled off, with the car sitting on jack stands in the street in front of my house... That was the great suspension rebuild on 09...

True about British cars... Jags GRRRRRR.... His was a Chevy C-10...Left front tire decided it didn't want to continue the ride in to work with him...

No to what I did today..to the 951...

Adjusted Camber on front wheels...-1 on both sides...still need another half a degree or so as they now just kiss the fender liner...
Oil change..20-50 again..GTX only lasted 2K before thinning, so this time it is Valvoline...we shall see..she is still pissing oil if I run over 12PSI... ..rebuild this winter...
Clearanced rear fender wells, new tires were rubbing on the inside on HARD corners.. No more rub... 15 minutes per side with a stretching body hammer... I'll drive it for the rest of the week, and check it again this weekend...
Drove the **** out of it to make sure the suspension was good to go... still need to re-adjust the fronts for another -.5 degrees... Ho Hum...

FORGOT to mention I also bled the clutch without removing a single piece of hardware.... needle nose, silicone vacuum hose and a water bottle to catch the fluid...

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 10-13-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by WizPorsche944
The rebuild on the ball joint does not look very hard to do,But how hard is it getting the control arm out ?
I would put it just above removing a tire, but below intake removal...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 AM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I would put it just above removing a tire, but below intake removal...
Cool I will add this to my to-do list. Does the rennbay kit do both arms ?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

To add to what John has stated:

Not hard at all. You need to remove the nuts (17mm) holding the stabilizer bar links to the center of the control arm and drop the bar down. It's actually easier to take the four bolts out of the supports near the front of the car first and remove the bar completely. The next step is to get the ball pin out of the knuckle (either 14 or 17mm). Just remove the bolt (completely) and pry the arm downward away from the knuckle.

I usually loosen the two bolts (17mm) holding the caster block to the body of the car leaving them in place. Next remove the bolt and nut through the front of the control arm and the cross member (19mm). It often takes a drift pin to push the bolt through. Now remove the two bolts that were loosened earlier. It will take a little wiggling to get the front bit out of the cross member.

Do the ball joint rebuild. (visit the Reutterwerk forum for a detailed explanation of this, if you like).

When reinstalling - put the ball pin into the knuckle first. Put the bolt in and just start the nut finger tight. Next is to get the front bushing into the cross member. Use that drift pin to align the holes so the bolt will go through. Put the bolt in and get the nut on finger tight. Now the rear bolts should go in the caster block. The block will probably not be perfectly aligned with the bottom of the car. It's usually possible to move the arm around a bit and get the bolts started. Get both started before using a wrench to tighten them to the proper torque spec. I am also a firm believer in anti-seize. These bolts are prime candidates for such treatment. If for some reason the caster block is at an extreme angle or the bolts just won't go in - you may need to use a jack to level the control arm in such a way that the block becomes more level with the underside of the car. Anyway, after all fasteners have been started - finish off with the proper torque.

Reinstall the stabilizer bar by putting the end links into the control arms first and then attach the front brackets to the supports last. Remember the end links install into the lower control arms from underneath.

Have fun.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Cool I will add this to my to-do list. Does the rennbay kit do both arms ?
Yes.
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

One more thing. If you plan to keep your car for a while - spend the extra money for the "track" kit. It comes with brass upper bushings instead of the nylon parts.

See what came out of the "good" arm when I did this last...
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 AM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

I was going to say that, since its for both sides I may want to go with the track kit.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 AM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Do you have a link to the Reutterwerk forum ?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Try this --> http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13802
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Did a rear wheel alignment, which was needed after going to solid bushings in the rear.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM
voo-doo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got windows tinted, started prep work for painting phonedials.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today