Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:46 AM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, i am so pedestrian in comparison!

I finally took the 944 out of the garage for the first time in a month or more, and loaded four snow tires into the hatch. Love that this thing has as much carrying capacity as a Civic hatchback. Four tires, two 6x9 speaker housings, and still enough room for a case of beer.

Once snows were on, I popped in the new Solid State DME relay and tested it. Then, back into the garage. With new snow coming today, i might have to find a parking lot to hoon....
Old 01-07-2016, 12:39 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
james - before starting the car, run the belts around by hand a few rotations to double-check clearances piston to valve.

there shouldn't be any issue with 4 degrees but double checking is always a good idea
Ooh, good call. I'm assuming if there was some interference, it'd be obvious, and don't put too much effort behind the spinning just in case?

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
you are going to be amazed the first time you drive it, if you put it 4 degrees advanced...

hang on to your hat.
That's what I like to hear! Between that and a new ignition setup, I'm eagerly awaiting that first drive!

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
With new snow coming today, i might have to find a parking lot to hoon....
DO IT! SO much fun in the snow- just don't go crazy and it's about as much fun as I've ever had driving.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 PM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DM,

So glad you got your Camshaft bolt out.
I ended up with a mess after the "Drill it out" advise was given to me.
I dismounted the housing and my Porsche guys at Gerber Motorsports used the correct tools to get it out and I gave them candy.
Everyone won.

I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in the fight against the "I;m not coming out" hardware.

Hang in there, your progress sounds really good.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Chip Gregg
Intermediate

Lowered it :-)

Name:  photo%201_zpsoiswe7my.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  205.1 KB

Name:  photo_zpspfoyqcww.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  180.6 KB
Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

black mirrors, interesting.
its just my opinion and nothing else but the fuchs wheels have nothing to do with the later porsches starting with the 944. The 951 has a modern line and modern wheels look nicer on it.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a new helper for working on my S2, well once it gets warmer at least. Its a hazet assistent 166N.
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2016, 06:46 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmjames
Finally got the cam bolt loose... There's 4+ hours of my life I'll never get back...

Also got the cam and balance shaft spacers and seals replaced, plus the 4 degree offset cam key installed and a TON of cleanup done. There was a freaking spider nest in the cam gear housing... I don't even want to know how that works, but it's gone now,

Tomorrow, the crankshaft oil seal, water pump, and hopefully the power steering delete (minus shaft conversion unless things go super fast). Then on to the actual belt/roller install, etc...
I'm thinking about doing this. What tool are you using to check the belt tension?
Old 01-07-2016, 06:58 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by psychoideas
I'm thinking about doing this. What tool are you using to check the belt tension?
I picked up the Arnnworx stuff after hearing about a billion rave reviews. Just don't do what I did and get the wrong pin wrench!

Haven't done the belt tensioning yet, so I can't speak to the tensioning tool yet, but I'll be sure to let you know. So far the whole project has just been one where patience is rewarded, and not being on a timeline. I think doing it again wouldn't be scary at all, it's just an intimidating project!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:09 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

More slow, but steady progress:
  • Replaced crankshaft oil seal & o-ring (final oil seal for the project)
  • Oil and filter change
  • Drained cooling system
  • Removed old water pump, cleaned dead gasket from block
  • Installed remanufactured water pump
  • Removed spider nest from rear belt cover
  • Removed another spider nest from cam sprocket housing
  • Tightened all power steering lines (going to give the power stuff one more chance since there were some obviously not-tight connections that lined up with the bulk of the mess)
  • Partially completed modifying early-style rear belt cover to work with retrofitted water pump/guard plate/etc.

I drilled and chiseled out space for the guard plate that mounts to the water pump, but the pulley that's part of the water pump update doesn't seem to mount correctly without rubbing against the rear belt cover. Maybe I'm just not looking the right way, but I'd take a diagram of how to modify the belt covers as part of the retrofit. Not sure why that's not in any of the how-to's I've read thus far!

I'm always amazed at how humbling these cars can be... You start to think you might get everything back together in a day, and they dash your hopes almost immediately! Maybe tomorrow?!?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:53 AM
Glemon
Intermediate

Default Brought her home

Got the thing, picked it up in Cheyenne, WY, 450 miles from home, drove it back. All necessary systems operational except the heater, get air but it is barely warm, this is certainly not the car's only issue, but it is the only thing/function that kept me from enjoying the drive back, being as it was about 11 F out. Mind is buzzing right now with all the work/improvements that I want to do.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:11 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

More progress this afternoon:
  • Finished modifying the rear belt cover to accommodate the new style pump and rollers
  • Installed and tensioned timing and balance belts
  • Installed belt covers
  • Replaced rotor and distributor cap
  • Replaced spark plugs
  • Replaced plug wires
  • Started replacing vacuum lines

Hoping to get everything back together and good to go by tomorrow, but these cars have a way of making their own calls there.

The old rollers were basically grinding when they spun, so this was definitely overdue, and the waterpump and gasket may well have been original to the car, as were the plug wires/rotor/etc... Plugs and thermostat were some random generic Autozone-grade crap, so it's no wonder I was getting an overcooling problem, and the old plugs showed signs of weak spark. Really looking forward to driving the car after all of this work!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Glemon
Intermediate

First full day of ownership, 924 has too many needs to list, and it is struggling to get into double digits today (F) so I am starting small.

Some oil and grease in the rear hatch lock and latches so it doesn't feel like I am breaking the key off when I open it. Works great

Same superficial treatment for the doors. Slight improvement

Inspect and tighten intake plumbing clamps as needed. Idle dropped from a variable 1400 - 1800 rpm to a fairly steady 1000 (cold).

Poked around under the dash looking for the ground connections (dash lights don't work at all, gas guage is kinda bouncy). I was wearing too many layers and didn't fit very well, don't think it would be that much better in a tee shirt. Anyway, no success whatsoever on the electrics, didn't even find exactly where the grounds were connected, it was very tight in there. It did look pretty clean under there.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:06 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Finally got everything reassembled!

Today's accomplishments:
  • Re-sealed throttle body
  • Reinstalled throttle body, AFM, airbox, and snorkel
  • Replaced vacuum lines
  • Filled and bled coolant system
  • Reinstalled started; belly pan
  • Broke a vacuum fitting (seems to be emissions-control related; replacement ordered and to be installed later this week)

The thing started right up- faster and stronger than ever, and seems to be running great! A test drive showed everything to be working great, including no more overcooling and a nicely shifted powerband from the offset cam key. Idle is a bit variable and a bit high, but I'll revisit the adjustment after the new seals in the throttle body have had some time to break in and I replace the broken vacuum fitting.

Seems like I get more engine vibration in the cabin at some RPMs vs beforehand- need to keep an eye on it and see if it improves or if I need to investigate further.

Originally Posted by Glemon
Same superficial treatment for the doors. Slight improvement
Yeah, unfortunately that usually requires actually pulling the door cards and greasing/adjusting the door mechanism to really resolve the problem. On the plus side, the end result is absolutely worth it, and stays better for a good long while!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:20 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Now with less ugly and more working!

Still needs more cleaning, but it's so much better than before it's not even funny... And don't even get me started on the repaint over the Sable Brown Metallic...
Old 01-11-2016, 12:19 PM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmjames
Now with less ugly and more working!
Still needs more cleaning, but it's so much better than before it's not even funny... And don't even get me started on the repaint over the Sable Brown Metallic...
DM, that looks wonderful.
Is she purring like a kitten?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today