Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which is more reliable, 951 or 928?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
That magazine writer don't know **** about 928 engines so please do not use his words to make 928 sound bad. You have demonstrated time and time again that you can dig up other **** which will make any and all 928's sound bad purchase so use that data instead if you feel like you have to find something to make 951 look superior. And don't even bother responding anything about my comments of cracked 928 blocks in thread you give link to. I do have 951 block in garage too in which there is almost fist sized holes on both sides of the block. 928 is not only engine which has issues.
951's do have issues but they are insignificant in comparison with the issues of the 928. Why do you get upset because I stated the "FACTS" . See, this is the bs, that I don't understand, I just put stuff together from other people polls, quotes, etc. and I get accused of doing wrong? I just stated the facts, I am not trying to make the 951 look superior, come on? please see by yourself, by the account of 928 owners, 41 out of 105 928's don't run, rolfmao the 951 is indeed SUPERIOR.

Have a nice day, take a chill pill and fix your non running 928

lart.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank you lart for your very scientific analysis and many facts how problems in 951's are insignificant in comparison to ones seen in 928's.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:33 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
951's do have issues but they are insignificant in comparison with the issues of the 928.
Like what? Funny how every experienced Porsche mechanic I know agrees they are about equal (talking about mechanics that actually know how to work on both. Not your garden variety 944 expert trying to figure out where all the plug wires are going).
  • They have the same valvetrain,
  • Both have the same rod bearing issues (actually 944's are fare more prone to this over 928's).
  • They use the same rod bearings.
  • Neither have main bearing issues.
  • The 928 clutch is far superior and easier to change than a 944.
  • The 928 transmission (even the 5-speed) is far superior to the 944/951 trans.
  • Are you able to do full launches with drag slicks yet Lart??? Didn’t think so. Nice R&P you got there in the 944. I have never heard of one going on a 928. Even with 700+hp.
  • Electrical issues? They are both Porsche’s so it’s a draw.
  • Both have the same water pump / timing belt issues.
  • The 928 fuel tank is a bitch to change, so you got me there
  • The 928 radiator is a bit expensive, so I hear. 100,000 miles on mine no leaks (knock on wood)
  • Early L-Jet cars (with the barn door…) have the more expensive style injectors. I cannot remember the last time anyone needed new injectors, but I guess it could happen.
  • When it’s time to change plugs / wires, the 928 will cost more since you are buying twice as many spark plugs and wires. $1.50 per spark plug I’m not losing any sleep over this.
  • Doing a head gasket is a bit more difficult on an early 928 versus a 944, I’ll give you that.
  • Head gasket issues are the same……almost the same gasket!!!
  • Yes most 928’s are automatics. Both of mine are 5-speeds so why would that bother me?
  • Synchros on the early (pre 85) transmissions are a bit weak. They are the same synchro on common year 911’s. 100k on mine still original. I chalk it up to people driving too long on worn clutches. Just a theory.
  • Ball joints - tie with early 928's.
  • 944’s do have more headroom (at least over 928’s with sunroofs)

So what issues are you talking about? Please let me know since 20+ years of 928’s under my belt I’m worried about these issues I’ve never known about happening to my car. Please save me Lart – please!!! I’m begging you!!!

I own both (ok, not a turbo).
When most would have parted their 944 out, I’m still putting mine back together. Why? Because I love 944’s.

Why do you have to be so negative all the time? It’s not healty.

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 02-21-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:08 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

928s will burn. That is true of any 25 YO car, I don't care if it's a Toyota or a Ferrari. 928sRus has a nice, low cost fuel hose kit that should be mandatory for every owner.

They do not crack blocks. The block and head of the 928 is about the most robust part of the engine.

As for the poll about non-running 928s vs 951 or 944 or whatever they are, I think this is prolly fairly accurate. There aren't many guys that buy and use a 928 as a daily driver. Non-running can be anything from a car up on blocks, missing lots of parts, to a car that's down for a new AC evap unit. The 928 is quite often a second car, or a weekend car whereas the 944 types are often the only means of transportation for many owners. I'm a good example. Last three years my 928 was my daily driver. It wasn't down at all. Then I did a track event and suffered the 2/6 rod failure. Now, it's down for repair. But guess what, I have a backup car and it's also a 928! So, I have one down, and one running. In a few weeks I'll have them both back up, and the world will once again be spinning in greased grooves.

The 928 is more complicated is some areas, but not extensively so. It is significantly more car than the 951/944 genre, as defined by both it's price, speed, and market position.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:10 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

check this post by one of the guys advocating the 928 on this thread, ironic isn't.

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
I have two 928 blocks in garage which suffered serious cracking problems. At least one was caused by head gasket failure. This allowed water to leak into combustion chamber and was away oil film from cylinder wall. This in turn heated up piston which then cracked cylinder in nice straight vertical line either at 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock or both when looking cylinder from above on exhaust side. It seems on at least one cylinder crack started in middle of cylinder tower but did not reach all the way to the top. On other cylinders crack lower end is about same position while they get to all the way to top.
I rest my case.

Judegement for the plaintiff.

check this out, I have not insulted, or attacked, or demised anyone, yet these guys are going to accuse me provoking the 928 guys, but all what I am doing is using their own quotes and statements against them.

I am out before the ban, have a great day gentleman.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:16 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

I rest my case.

Judegement for the plaintiff.
Good thing you are not a lawyer

Wanna see the four scrapped, beyond repair 944 blocks I have? Two from head gasket failure, the others from rod bearing damage.

Try again.
check this out, I have not insulted, or attacked, or demised anyone, yet these guys are going to accuse me provoking the 928 guys, but all what I am doing is using their own quotes and statements against them.
So if I take the time to dig up how many hundreds of posts where 944 engines failed that suddenly means what? It doesn't prove a thing and you know it.

EDIT - this took about 60 seconds:
Originally Posted by Peckster
If you want reliability, buy a new Honda.

Mine's never let me down, but it sure spends a lot of time in the shop. So far this year's been good...knock on wood.
Originally Posted by special tool
Only a kid would say an old Porsche is reliable. Listen to your dad, kid.
Compared to a Peugoet?? Ouch.
Originally Posted by Henry964
At 51 I´m hardly a kid but my example is true, my Peugeot goes to the mechanic just as much as my 924.
If you want reliability go japanese - I just find jap cars to be as dull as an appliance
Whoops
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/375387-got-milk-shake.html

2/5 isn’t that bad….
Originally Posted by blbman51
Of all of the 944s imported to the US over 8 or 9 years, anybody have any guesses as to what percentage are still on the road today?
Originally Posted by sharky47
I have five of them, two of which are drivable.
What’s this? According to you a cracked 944 block isn’t even possible
Originally Posted by leonc944
On an 87 944, it is 99 percent chance that it is the oil cooler seals.

Change them first. If you still have problems, look for a cracked block or head.
Originally Posted by patrat
If you decide not to go for it, I would like the contact info so I can get it please. I would like to actually save one. (My parts car had a cracked block and munched valves)
Originally Posted by SigAlphAdam
A sad end to the 944...if you're faint at heart read no further:

After dealing with the overheating on and off all summer, and changing hoses, thermostats, etc...I got in the pcar today and heard a loud "click-click-click" sound as soon as she started up. Having just changed the oil less than a month ago, I got curious and checked it out. I discovered that the oil was now a brown muddy mixture of oil & coolant!

Basically the block is cracked and the heads are blown, and I've been told that I'll need a whole new engine! Since I can't afford to buy an engine that costs more than the price of the car, I have no choice but to send her on her way.
Originally Posted by judd944
not to darken the mood buy 2 years ago I thought those were symptoms of my car as well, I changed the oil cooler seals and the problem returned. I took it to the porsche shop and I had a blown HG and cracked block. cost me 5 grand to get rebuilt! (drop in another motor if you can.)
Originally Posted by HY M8NC
How deep was the water? I would also be concerned with cold water hitting a hot engine block, causing a crack. Loss of coolant usually means blown head gasket, cracked block, etc. If you are fairly certain you pulled water into the cylinder, you could have compressed the water, and blown the head off-

Is it holding coolant now? Is the new oil turning foamy? I'm afraid it doesn't sound too good judging by your description-let us know what you find.
Originally Posted by ERAU-944
yeah, sounds like a head gasket or cracked head/block. more likely block if something's cracked, due to cool water on a hot engine/shock cooling. now, do what they said and contact your insurance about repairs, if you're on your own, start with the headgasket, and if its plainly blown (sounds like it, motor will run poorly and shoot white smoke if you're burning your coolant) you'll certainly be in for a less difficult fix than a new/rebuilt engine block.

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 02-21-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:41 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a reason why fart951 is on my ignore list. He is argumentative and loves to insult people. His arguments never contain any facts. He's also famous for posting things and then deleting or changing them, along with his infantile photos.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tifosiman
There is a reason why fart951 is on my ignore list. He is argumentative and loves to insult people. His arguments never contain any facts. He's also famous for posting things and then deleting or changing them, along with his infantile photos.
I know, I should know better.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

You are better off putting him on ignore and not even engaging him. It's like dealing with a retarded rabid poodle.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Ewok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol what an informative thread (not just about cars but people too)
Old 02-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

You just demonstrated perfect example of exact behaviour you are quilty off. Taking one isolated statement and then thinking thats whole truth and only truth.

I have 6 engine blocks in garage, one 951 and 5 928 blocks. Out of the 5 928 blocks 2 are bad and 3 are ok. This means failure rate for 928 blocks is 40% while for 951 blocks its 100%!!! There are 2 928's and 2 951 in out small garage together with one early seventies 911 and S class MB. One of each type front engined P cars is currently drivable, one 951 has gearbox and some suspension parts out. This means in both cases 50% of cars are unreliable. When engines in these friends cars are also included into count results are 2 dead out of 6 928 engines and one dead out of 3 for 951 meaning 33% problem rate for both models.

Just for the record, working 928 has SC and almost twice the hp compared to either 951, and those 951 aren't stock either. So 928 being stock NA isn't explanation why its still going strong at 120k miles with original engine internals. Last 10k is with 8-10 psi boost.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sound reasoning.

As for the topic, they are both 80s porsches, subject to abuse and improper maintenance from the PO. Perhaps more 951s are running because they are easier and cheaper to work on. Just another perspective.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

now we need someone whos got a 928 with 951 pistons and 2 hairdryers hangin off of it.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
now we need someone whos got a 928 with 951 pistons and 2 hairdryers hangin off of it.
There is already a 928 with 951 pistons with a supercharger pushing 22-24psi. The blower ran out of steam so a new one was fitted this past weekend to raise the boost past 30psi.

Todd (owner / builder of the car) has been unable to fit the proper sized turbo's for this much boost without radically modifying the car.

Not to mention the efficiency of these new blowers is so high, he’s not even looking into the turbo option anymore.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Speaking of retarded poodles.

This message is hidden because V2Rocket_aka944 is on your ignore list.

Quick Reply: which is more reliable, 951 or 928?