Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A sad end...engine is f$%&ed! :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 12:39 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

man that sucks! im really sorry to hear about that. what you should do is contact parts heaven or EASY, both are porsche salvage yards in california. see if they have a running 944 engine. buy it ship it to illinois, and have your bro or anyone you know who knows about cars install it some weekend. im sure you could do that for a hell of alot cheeper than putting a new one in.

get ahold of chris 924s, he knows how to do alot of stuff on cars, and im sure he could give you some guidance on putting a new motor in, or could put you in contact with some one who could. (he's in springfield)

its not necessarly the best or most reliable idea, as you dont know for sure what could be lurking in the depths of the newer engine, but im sure it would be better than where youre sitting now.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:10 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by 944pete
Is the coolant and oil in the overflow tank or on the dipstick? If the mix is on the dipstick, you may only have a blown headgasket. That would also explain the overheating. If the mix is only in the overflow tank, then you probably only have blown oil cooler seals.
I am inclined to think it is blown oil cooler seals. If the seals are bad enough, it can leak into both the oil and the coolant. Is there a brown goo in your overflow tank?

I would take a deep breath and step back. I bet your motor isn't as bad off as you think it is. I'd hate to see another fine example dismantled when it wouldn't take much more than a little investigative work and a new oil cooler seal kit.

Good luck!

Tifo
Old 09-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are considering sell your p-car, please forward details and condition, and how much $$ you will take. Thanx,
Old 09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Predator
Pro

PS.. if you are thinking about a used motor, contact me. We have a few! Thanx again.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:22 PM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

Originally posted by tifosiman
I am inclined to think it is blown oil cooler seals. If the seals are bad enough, it can leak into both the oil and the coolant. Is there a brown goo in your overflow tank?

I would take a deep breath and step back. I bet your motor isn't as bad off as you think it is. I'd hate to see another fine example dismantled when it wouldn't take much more than a little investigative work and a new oil cooler seal kit.

Good luck!

Tifo

Hmm...after a nights rest and a day of thought, these new theories are getting me excited! The brown goo is on the dipstick AND overflow tank. We drained all the oil out of the car and got a nice gallon of Kaluha Mudslides!

Since I'm no engine expert and my dad knows a thing or two about Chevys but not Porsches we called up his lifelong friend who also owns a shop and has done almost all work for us on all of our cars from domestics to imports. We described the situation over the phone and he says the block is cracked. However we haven't had anyone look at it in person yet. His shop is a good 25 miles away, so I'm not going to risk driving it out there, and i don't know what the tow price would be. However, the Porsche dealer happens to be about a half mile away from my house, so I think i'm going to try and drive it up there.

Any thoughts? I appreciate everyones help. I hope its not the block like you said, because I REALLY DON'T want to be driving my brother's riced-out Accord this winter!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:35 PM
elf89
Pro

I don't think you should drive it anywhere. If your friend hasn't looked at it and is just guessing from the symptoms, I think you have a good chance that it's only the oil cooler seals and/or the head gasket. Driving it anywhere has the potential to cause more damage.

I'd figure out who you want to look at it and have it towed. The Porsche dealer's bound to be expensive, and I'm not sure how familiar they are with older cars. There's gotta be multiple places in Chicagoland that specialize in 944s. Anyone know of any for Adam? Good luck!!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:39 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

doubtful its your block. oil in coolant or vice versa is usually oil cooler seals. if you havent overheated, its 99.99% your oil cooler seals. you're gonna have a lot of cleaning to do. get lots of cheap oil to run through and clean the coolant out of the oil system after you get the seals fixed. also, you're gonna have lots of oil residue on your coolant system. not really sure what you can do to get rid of this. any degreasers will dry out your seals. so lots of flushing of oil/coolant systems, and some minor wrenching, and you'll be back on the road! i'm sure someone on here has a tutorial, just make sure when you put it back on that you line up the oil pressure releif valve properly, or you won't get good oil pressure.

good luck!
-Michael-
Old 09-02-2003, 02:51 PM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

SigAlphAdam,

I'm not questioning your friends mechanical skills, but how does he know the block is cracked without testing it.

Perform a compression test of the engine and cooling system to be sure. Personally I never heard of a cracked 944 block, the symptoms you describe sounds to me more like a blown head gasket or leaking oil cooler seals. Both these problems are relatively easy to cure without major costs.
Some people thing it is better to use expensive factory tools to tighten the camshaft belts and balance shaft belt or to line up the oil cooler housing but in my opinion this is not necessarily.

If your dad know something about engines in general he won't have any problems putting a new head gasket in your Porsche or fixing the oil cooler seals. Besides that, there is a lot of information in the Haynes manual and on the Internet.

Just because it's a Porsche doesn't mean you have to be a rocket scientist able to fix it.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Paul C 944
Burning Brakes

JOin AAA gold member and they will tow for free up to 100 miles!It sounds like oil cooler seals,dont drive .Thje 944 is worth an hour of labor to diagnos the problem ,before you write it off.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:24 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

His mechanic doesn't know that the 944 has an oil cooler.

Chebbies don't have no such animal!

Still I miss my 55 two door wagon and the 327. Sigh!

Think I'll outfit a large motor home to travel around the country and fix 944's.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:44 PM
aka 951
Pro

Oil Cooler Seals - almost definitely. Happens to every one of em at one point or another. As suggested above, do a compression check (with oil in the motor of course) to determine whether there are any more serious problems. If the compression is fine you could probably be on the road for about $5.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:31 PM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

All I can say is:

THANK GOD FOR RENNLIST!

You have all been much help and without this board I don't know where I would be right now!

Okay the old man and I are going to check the oil cooler tonight in the garage. I've got the Hayes manual, is there anything else I should know that isn't covered in the manual?

I'll keep y'all updated on the status as soon as we get into it.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:48 PM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

SigAlphAdam,

Mark the position of the oil cooler housing in relation with the engine block, that way you don't have to worry about misaligning the oil pressure relief valve.

With the oil pressure relief valve removed, clean it with some very fine waterproof sanding paper (use engine oil as lubricant)

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2003, 08:23 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

not to darken the mood buy 2 years ago I thought those were symptoms of my car as well, I changed the oil cooler seals and the problem returned. I took it to the porsche shop and I had a blown HG and cracked block. cost me 5 grand to get rebuilt! (drop in another motor if you can.)

Quick Reply: A sad end...engine is f$%&ed! :(