Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My saga begins: I'm getting my neighbor's 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:52 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there is a screen the screws into the tank just before the fuel reaches the pump - that could be clogged up- time to flush the tank out i would say

If your car is cranking and no start- time to do a search on DME relay.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:24 AM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
there is a screen the screws into the tank just before the fuel reaches the pump - that could be clogged up- time to flush the tank out i would say

If your car is cranking and no start- time to do a search on DME relay.
I've got injector pulses, fuel pressure (may not be exactly correct), a high-voltage pulse through the spark plug wires, and a DME relay with about 300 miles on it. Why should I suspec the DME relay?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont know what kind of guage you have but I just used a piece of fuel injection hose, removed the nut at the end of the fuel rail and clamped the hose over the threads.
My guage has an adapter that allows me to connect a hose so the other end was clamped on that.
Its just fine to check fuel pressure.

I would jumper the DME relay and disconnect the coil wire from the distributor.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
teamking
Pro

Well, I cleaned the spark plugs with a wire brush and some brake part cleaner, re-gapped them, and put 'em back in. The car fired up and HAS NEVER RUN BETTER!!!!

It is no longer running rich like it was!

I'll still check the fuel pressure at the rail (thanks for the tip, Airflite), but I'm sure that cleaning out the clog in the fuel level sender has had a MAJOR impact. I'm elated!

And in spirit of the day, I'd like to say that I'm thankful for Clark's Garage and Rennlist, without whom I would never have gotten this car running (again!). Thanks to all those who have given advice, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

How long where the plugs in there?

You think they got fouled up from running too rich?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:34 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by Airflite40
How long where the plugs in there?

You think they got fouled up from running too rich?
Definitely. They've been in since June, which equates to about 300 miles (since I didn't really get it on the road until the end of September).
Old 11-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Shabba
Racer

Originally Posted by teamking
Shabba:

Thanks for asking!

I'll put it like this: I'm in the airport in Las Vegas right now. When I land at Dulles I'll be walking out to my Porsche to drive back to Charlottesville!

To expand a little, the car is doing very well. Issues:
I'm pretty sure that the switches are OK, and that the reason my passenger window is not rolling down is the the motor.
The shocks are dead.
To make the car more usable, a set of hatch dampers will be really nice. The wooden dowel is getting old.
Gas mileage is pretty poor (~14 MPG around town). I'm going to try to replace the ignition wires and oxygen sensor and see what happens. The car seems to be running rich.
Clutch is still vibrating when it is being slipped, but I swear it gets better each time I drive the car.
There is a small vibration in the steering wheel between 65 - 75 MPH. I think this may have to do with the tires/balancing.

C-ville Virginia? Wow...I'm living right down the road from what is becoming a legend.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:18 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats on getting the car fixed...

Now its my turn to have a 951 that runs well ! lol
Old 11-23-2007, 12:11 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

3/8 inch I.D. hose with a clamp will fit the fuel rail test port. It's not pretty, but it works for a quick test.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:37 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by Shabba
C-ville Virginia? Wow...I'm living right down the road from what is becoming a legend.
I was just in Richmond yesterday visiting relatives!

Nice of you to say that, but there are a lot of people on this board who have done a lot more impressive things to their 944's than me. I'm just glad to have access to all that collective wisdom.

I took the car out for a little spin today and it was FANTASTIC! Pulls really hard now-- second gear is just a blast! Also, I've put a new set of Potenza RE050A's on the car, and they're really nice tires. The clutch is getting better and better. Brakes are great. The big thing to take care of mechanically now is to get some new shocks.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:13 PM
teamking
Pro

Well all, if you've read this far, you know that my intent was to build this into a track car. More recently, I've found myself straying from that path. I've found myself ordering a new window motor, parts to fix the sunroof, new rear hatch struts-- all things that a track car doesn't need. I guess I realized that this car was too nice to build into a track car. I mean, to get it to be a daily driver, all it needs now is some shocks, a new stereo, a functional passenger window, a new sunroof gear, a/c (perhaps just needs to be recharged) and cruise control. Going the extra mile, a little body work and a paint job and this thing would be a stunning car with only 50K original miles. That just doesn't seem like the right candidate for stripping into a track car.

On the other hand, I feel compelled to have a go-fast car. I've won my regional autocross championship three years in a row now in my S2000, and I feel like it's time for a new challenge. I was thinking of spending $4K to build it into a nationally competitive car and try to get to nationals this year, but they just decided to class the S2000 CR into A-Stock. I think that will pretty much obsolete every other S2000 out there, including mine.

My wife has put her foot down and said that we can't get a fifth car. She drives an Odyssey and is happy with it. My daily driver is the S2000, and I'm not selling that. For inclement weather and getting to my parents' 4x4-only accessible beach house, we have the T100.

That leaves the 951. It's not competitive in B-Stock autocrossing. And I'm thinking it would be a shame to waste a car with so much potential by turning it into a track car.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
teamking
Pro

So having driven them back to back now, I'm convinced that the 951 is FASTER than my S2000. At first, I thought that it just FELT faster. But, I was reading on Clark's Garage about the turbocharging system, and I'm thinking that I must have a performance chip in the car (it's funny, I had the DME apart in July and resoldered the whole thing and never even bothered to look at the chip to determine whether it was OE or aftermarket!). Anyway, if my boost gauge is accurate, then I'm getting almost 2 BAR and it's holding all the way to redline. There's no way that this should happen, except with an aftermarket chipset, correct?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:14 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Stock it will be about 1.75 bar or more on stock gauge. The stock gauge is 1) not very accurate and 2) reads from 1 bar being atmospheric, so 2 bar is realy only 1 bar boost.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 AM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first 944 was $1,000, I didn't plan on putting too much money into it, just having fun with it until it died on me. It sat for two years before I bought it. I had to put a new bumper, tires, and battery in it. Eventually fuel pump. and that was it!. it had 160k miles or so and i remember the first few times i drove it I was regretting buying it, it seemed like it was bearly running, yet it just ran better and better as the weeks went on. That car never actaully died, from what i hear the guy i sold it to ( was supposed to be his winter beater ) is still driving it and it's been almost two years now! so don't let anything discourage you keep up the good work!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:48 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reference to Teamking's thoughts on autocrossing his 951. Could be bad voodoo compared to your S2000 experience.

The 951, well sorted, can outrun the ricer at most tracks and deserted back roads you can find, but it is VERY hard to keep the car on boost in the autox environment...and a bit hard on the car as you are tempted to do things with the clutch and front tires that aren't good for either.

You're entering a very interesting world that is often discussed here. Despite it's relative lack of market value and sophistication the 951 platform is a potential track beast with relatively straightforward work with the boost control, stiffer f/r springs and good chassis set-up notebook. As fast as many 993/996/997 variants that carry much higher price tags and bling factor.

Only real 951 downside to the serious racer is the challenge of heat saturation. Cars you beat like a drum in an April ten-lap sprint can give you big trouble in a twenty lap August session if you don't undertake a serious effort to control under-hood temperature through various means like a larger intercooler and attention to keeping heat in the exhaust/turbo plumbing but away from intake charge.

Porsche and Bosch pioneered the whole business of top end power enhancement, IMO, and the 951 Turbo is a milestone car in the regard, but delivers best in more open venues because of the challenges involved in generating low end boost. My 944 NA can run with a 951 at most any autocross but gives up 10-12 seconds a lap on track day.

Quick Reply: My saga begins: I'm getting my neighbor's 944 Turbo