Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My saga begins: I'm getting my neighbor's 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 AM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Stock it will be about 1.75 bar or more on stock gauge. The stock gauge is 1) not very accurate and 2) reads from 1 bar being atmospheric, so 2 bar is realy only 1 bar boost.
Agreed. But, at least according to clarks-garage, the boost should drop off to 1.5 bar at 5800 rpm. I'm seeing 1.9-2.0 bar all across the rpm range. I suppose that it is possible that if the gauge is both inaccurate (reading too high), and has an upper limit of 1.9-2.0 bar indicated, then that would cause the behavior I'm seeing.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teamking
I suppose that it is possible that if the gauge is both inaccurate (reading too high), and has an upper limit of 1.9-2.0 bar indicated, then that would cause the behavior I'm seeing.
Possible and likely. Get an aftermarket gauge. Especially if you are going to do some mods. You want to know where your acutal baseline is.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
teamking
Pro

Well, I went out the other night with my friend's accelerometer and got a 0-60 time of 5.95 seconds, including way too much wheelspin and a long ride on the rev limiter. I definitely think this car has the potential to do a 5.5 or 5.6.

Also, I fixed the passenger window.

But, I have to confess my sins. I really did it this time. I went out and bought myself a racecar, if you can call it that. After three years of winning my regional autocross class, I've gotten this delusion that I might be able to do well nationally. At first, I was going to dress up my 2001 S2000 with a new exhaust, custom valved konis, and some lightweight rims. Then, they classed the new S2000 CR into the same group (A-Stock), which I believe will render all other S2000's obsolete. So, I went out and bought a 1988 CRX Si that has been pre-prepped for STS2 (and in fact was the lightest car in the class this past year at nationals). I think this car can win the class with the right driver, so we'll just have to find out if I'm that driver. It'll be a fun ride, anyway.

So, I was able to talk my wife into this insanity (a fifth car) by promising to sell the Porsche as soon as it was ready.

So, my question is, what should I do to sell it?

The way I see it, there are three options for someone with this car:

1) Drive it the way it is. I've basically got everything working. I need to finish off the cruise control and a/c, put some new struts in (they're in the garage) and get it aligned. Of course, the paint looks pretty bad, and there's an ugle ding at the front left, but it's a great car to drive!

2) Do the bodywork and paint it. It could be a real beauty. It's only got 51,000 miles! I went to a good bodyshop in town, and they quoted me $4000 plus some parts for a beautiful car!

3) Keep it ugly, strip it, and turn it into a race car. This was my original plan, but I just feel like the car will be worth more money in form 1 or 2.

So what do you think is the best way for me to go about selling it. Fix the little items and sell it for what I can get, or invest another $4-5K to make it truly beautiful!

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Sell it as is, you will never get your money out of it if you invest in making it nice. I would say make it nice if you planned on keeping it, or go take it to maaco, but again I don't think that is the best decision either.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
greenshoes3
Pro

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Sell it as is, you will never get your money out of it if you invest in making it nice. I would say make it nice if you planned on keeping it, or go take it to maaco, but again I don't think that is the best decision either.
I don't think he owns it, does he?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Fix the 951 and sell the S2000 or convince the wife that the Odyssey has to go! She can drive either the S2000 or the 951...

j/k! (sort of, I think you'd be happy with the 951 as a DD, especially since you have your truck as backup)

I'm no expert in current market values, but I'm guessing that as is, your 951 might be worth around $5-6K for the low miles.

If that body shop does a really good job, the car may be worth $10k? a lot depends on your local market.

Shouldn't be too hard to source a fender panel, get it painted to match, and replace the dinged one. Dunno how the paint on the rest of the car is, but a good polish may clean it up.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:49 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Fix the 951 and sell the S2000 or convince the wife that the Odyssey has to go! She can drive either the S2000 or the 951...

j/k! (sort of, I think you'd be happy with the 951 as a DD, especially since you have your truck as backup)

I'm no expert in current market values, but I'm guessing that as is, your 951 might be worth around $5-6K for the low miles.

If that body shop does a really good job, the car may be worth $10k? a lot depends on your local market.

Shouldn't be too hard to source a fender panel, get it painted to match, and replace the dinged one. Dunno how the paint on the rest of the car is, but a good polish may clean it up.
Yeah, if I could only have one car, it might well be a 951. But given that I can live with a convertible's total impracticality (because I've got a backup truck), I'm not giving up the S2000. Take the badges off, and the S2000 really is the better car to drive, no doubt about it. And I'm not looking to impress anyone, anyway. If I needed the extra room, though, a 951 is a very nice compromise.

As for my wife, I tried to get her to swap the Odyssey for a Fit (we have but one child and a dog), but she backed out of it. Too small, she says. She drives it so who am I to argue.

Back to the Porsche:

As for the paint, well, it's pretty bad. Unfortunately, it just ain't gonna look good until it's repainted. But, I think I could rehab the front bumper cover, and as you pointed out, find another fender, and have them both painted for a reasonable amount and the car might look far more acceptable than it does today. hmmm.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fix

ftw

last I checked, this was the 924/944/951/968 technical forum of Rennlist, not the 'Keep my S2000' forum.

we're a little biased.

wit that said, don't forget...a car is a car. With those low miles and a brand new paint job (match existing color please), you should sell for an easy $10k.

5 cars is too many.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 PM
teamking
Pro

You know...
The hard drive on my family PC may be corrupt,
The plumbing may leak under the kitchen sink,
The house may need to be painted, and the grass... what grass?

But now that I've gotten the passenger window, the sunroof, and the cruise control working,
I'll be damned if EVERYTHING DOESN'T WORK ON MY PORSCHE!!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:18 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Congratz!! I just read the entire thread. Nice work on the 951.

Michael
Old 01-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
Sonds like something to keep you busy. Best of luck. Starting off with a free car gives you a better chance of success.

I can't agree with this. But the best one you can afford and you will save money.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by teamking
You know...
The hard drive on my family PC may be corrupt,
The plumbing may leak under the kitchen sink,
The house may need to be painted, and the grass... what grass?

But now that I've gotten the passenger window, the sunroof, and the cruise control working,
I'll be damned if EVERYTHING DOESN'T WORK ON MY PORSCHE!!!!
hahaha great, I allmost fell of my chair
Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by Peckster
I can't agree with this. But the best one you can afford and you will save money.

Well, I can't lookup my spreadsheet (reference the aforementioned corrupt hard drive), but I think I've spent about $2200 for a car that is mechanically great, very fast, but just cosmetically challenged.

Not bad.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:29 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Not bad! I'm around $3100 for a modded good condition 951. I just need to spend another few hundred bucks on a wideband 02 and there is nothing left
Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 PM
teamking
Pro

Well all,
long time... no posts. So here's my update:

I took the 951 last week to Paul Overstreet, who is the local expert on all things Porsche. The good news was that there is nothing wrong with the car that I didn't already know about (big thing is to change the water pump when I retension the belts)! The bad news is that he thinks the car is worth very little, maybe only $3500, because of the interior exterior colors (Gold/Brown). So, I'm going to part out the big ticket items (I've put the Fuchs, Saratoga top, air compressor, and owner's manual on eBay), and then sell the car to someone as a track car.

I was pretty sad about listing the stuff on eBay. I've got this fantasy that the rims and top will go for enough that I can somehow convince my wife to keep the car. Actually, she really doesn't like the CRX, she says it's not "dignified", so maybe there's hope.

The car is a great daily driver. I used an accelerometer to get a 0-60 time of 5.47 seconds the other day-- the motor is strong!

It will be with very mixed emotions that I sell the car.

Quick Reply: My saga begins: I'm getting my neighbor's 944 Turbo