Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exciting supercharger info for all 944 owners. COME IN HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by DVC
944 owners are on a completely different level of cheapness than 928 guys. They'll talk about it endlessly on the net but when it comes time to part with the green, forget about it.
I'm painfully aware of this - the 928 kit is over $7k (S4's) so $4k is a damn good deal. Sorry gang, he's right. The valve stem group buy was a new low, I'm suprised floor mats hasn't been brought up.

I do know Carl will eventually sell one kit - assuming it fits the 2.5 16V. My 928 SC project is first - and the 944's motor is on the floor at the moment.

I'm not sure how the other SC kits work payment - but Carl offering a payment plan through paypall might just put a few people that are cash strapped over the edge.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

DVC has me worried. You mean there IS a kit for under $4k that preserrves the air conditioner, and for a few dollars more, you can add an intercooler to it too?

Then you do not need me. Go buy that one!

BTW - yes - I am VERY familiar with the 951 and the air-to-air intercooler associated with it... click here: http://www.928motorsports.com/951.html
Old 02-05-2005, 04:56 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can we read and see pics about the whipple 944s2 at 400hp?

This is the way to go in my opinion...

I think they all require a new intake becuse the na intake opening is not parallel or perpendicular to the pulleys on the engine...

Originally Posted by J Chen
Hi QuickCarl,
Yes I agree with what you said. I did not factor in the emission
test. Regarding the Whipple supercharger, I've seen one installed
on a 944 s2 making 400hp with an intercooler ofcourse & like you
said it required new intake etc. What about the Rotrex supercharger ?
It's very effecient & compact.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

Carl, this guy is just trying to play the damn devils advocate card that everybody plays on the net these days. Oh well, I've tried for months to get any info from SoK and they never return any calls and don't even have a damn webpage. How is anybody supposed to put any faith in company that won't even return calls. :| Gimme a break, that is why Huntley is out of business and that is why nobody wants to get ripped off by some company that can't even do proper customer service.

Carl, do what ever you think is best for your business but look at the guys here including me that have spent well over 10K on thier rides and tell me that we're "cheap with money" :|
Old 02-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

And if I'm not mistaken the SoK kit is pretty bare bones and only for the 8valve cars. There have been a few auctions on Ebay of the SoK system and every time I've emailed the seller he was honest in telling me that it was becuase of reliability issues.

We are looking for a kit which is RELIABLE, which is why I studied Carls website for a few days and he looks like he has a class operation. You can't just choose somebodys kit based on the fact that the only thing they do is sell it.

So before you say that the 944 crowd doesn't spend any money on their cars maybe you should do a little research first because I bet you that tons of independant shops are financing their racing activities on the back of us "cheap" 944 owners and our damn expensive maintenance.

Rant off
Old 02-05-2005, 08:33 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds pretty cool. Carl, you must have a blast in that big ole blown 928 romping around Road America! Ken, glad to see you overcame the probs and have rekindled your love affair with your car; lavishing it with parts and money is good. Four grand would be a smokin' deal, but Carl said it best; let see if he can keep the AC intact first.

Erik, that is SO funny about the gomers who pine about the apparent lack of boost at 2500rpm. It's BLOWN; stand on it wimp!. I loosened up a shoulder once, man. Not THAT bad (EESH!), but bad enough to know I'd rather snap a bone clean in two than rip it from it's proper place. Happy healing, bro.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
So before you say that the 944 crowd doesn't spend any money on their cars maybe you should do a little research first because I bet you that tons of independant shops are financing their racing activities on the back of us "cheap" 944 owners and our damn expensive maintenance.
right on brother
Old 02-06-2005, 12:20 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Carl and Erik- I have the dyno graph and data from SoK but it's in PDF. If you want I can email it to you.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:03 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi 944J,
Sorry, it's actually an Opcon Autorotor which is the same
as a Whipple. Yes the intake is modified & is running a
air to water intercooler from Laminova. I don't know
whether the pics are still available in their website.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Lumberg - I never said the 944 guys do not spend money - that was somebody else. Read this thread again. I would not say that - I've seen the way my son throws money at his 951

I have many reservations about a twin-screw in this application. I would not recommend it any more than I would recommend a Roots blower to any road racer. Bad choice.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

I know Carl, I was not directing that at you. I'm just sick of people bagging on the 944 community when I know for a fact there are 4 proffesional wrenches that I've been to in Connecticut that fund a great deal of their weekend race activities off my hard earned dollar on repairs for our cheap *** 944.

In fact over the last 6 years I've owned my S2 my maintanence has been more than in my previous 23 years of drving any other car combined. I have over 14K into my S2 and I know there are plenty of people with at least that much and some have much more. The 44 kept Porsche afloat for years and I'm tired of this ****.

Oh well, time to get ready for my super bowl party
Old 02-06-2005, 05:44 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
I know Carl, I was not directing that at you. I'm just sick of people bagging on the 944 community when I know for a fact there are 4 proffesional wrenches that I've been to in Connecticut that fund a great deal of their weekend race activities off my hard earned dollar on repairs for our cheap *** 944.

In fact over the last 6 years I've owned my S2 my maintanence has been more than in my previous 23 years of drving any other car combined. I have over 14K into my S2 and I know there are plenty of people with at least that much and some have much more. The 44 kept Porsche afloat for years and I'm tired of this ****.
Wow, that's great! I hope he does this then. There can't be any difference in spending thousands on required repairs, and $4k plus on a single mod!

Get er done so my 944 can be quick!
Old 02-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I imagine Superchargers of Knoxville might garner more interest if you could actually find information about them still. I think the last time I was able to find any quantity of useful information about them on the web was like 5 years ago.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^Exactly. Thats like saying

"Ya know, there are these great builders, I think I'll contract them to build my house"

"Cool man, whats the last thing they built?"

"The pyramids"

:|

Whatever, I'm kinda sick of defending the 944 boards. Thats why I dissapear for months at a time. Its just frustrating always having to apologize for driving the 44.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:28 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wil, don't EVER apologize for driving that car. Truth be told, I've never been crazy about the 944/ 968 cabs. The more I see cars like yours and Damian's (from Jersey?) yellow 968, the more I like them. Real fine, man.

I recently bought a high-end, lightweight fishing rod for my inshore jones. I found a sweet, Texas made rod which is suppose to be a handmade gem worth waiting for. But after 4 calls in 2 weeks with no response, I took my $200 and got a nice G Loomis instead. You can bet your *** I'll do the same with $4000 in car parts.

Carl, you seem to appreciate the value of self-promotion, and your credibility looks solid just in the cars you've built. I honestly hope you're the guy to bring boosted redemption to the normally aspirated masses. I have always loved the look of a track prepped 928. Is that Mark Anderson car the Holbert/ Bonneville car in another color? I seem to remember that name for some reason. Yours looks the way Thor's hammer would look if it was covered in velvet. Wooooshing all the way to Bal Halla, no less.

Quick Reply: Exciting supercharger info for all 944 owners. COME IN HERE!