Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exciting supercharger info for all 944 owners. COME IN HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Porschephile - answer me a question - when they installed that SC kit on your car and you lost your Air Conditioning... did they ever change the crankshaft pulley? Or are they using the stock crank pulley to drive your blower?

...and one more... what brand and model of SC did you get?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:03 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Somebody has to have a donor in WI.
Carl - my current avatar is what I did Thursday night so my 944S is on hold. Otherwise it would make a good doner car.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hacker - That's one nasty looking shoulder!
Good luck with the recovery.

All - Capt. Carl and crew have a VERY solid reputation on the 928 boards!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:58 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark, that's am elbow.

I'll second Mark's opinion on Carl. His SC kit for the 16V 928 is track tested on his own car, he's a#1 stand-up guy.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Mark, that's am elbow.
Good thing I'm not a doctor!
Old 01-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Carl
Porschephile - answer me a question - when they installed that SC kit on your car and you lost your Air Conditioning... did they ever change the crankshaft pulley? Or are they using the stock crank pulley to drive your blower?

...and one more... what brand and model of SC did you get?

Actually, I don't have a supercharger. I just deleted the air conditioning because I didn't want to recharge it, and taking it off would save weight for the track...
Old 01-29-2005, 02:27 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year, I asked Rennlisters on this forum about SC kits for the non-turbo 944. I have an interest in making a kit for that car - but I stopped because I learned there were 3 kits on the market already.

I do not know why all the supercharger kits for the 944 sacrifice the Air Conditioner to get it done - we have found a way to supercharge the 928 and the air conditioner still works. I need to have a non-turbo 944 for a little while to see what's up with that.

And I am interested in a 968 setup too.
Funny this topic just came up -- I talked to a guy from 968.net a couple of days ago and apparantly, there is another shop interested in developing a low-boost SC kit for a 968 that keeps the AC and CARB certified - hopefully priced in the $4k range. For the earlier SC kits, the loss of AC was a definite killer and the lack of CARB certification didn't help for many of the 968 owner in California. From what I understand, that project is all talk and speculation right now.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:34 PM
J Chen
Drifting

I would advice you guys to stop wasting your money if supercharging
in used involves the use of a centrifugal supercharger. Why, because
power will come in late in the power band. Yes the 928 is O.K cause
it's a 5L engine. If a centrifugal supercharger must be used, I strongly
advice to go with the Rotrex supercharger. Two advantage. It's a very
compact design & it spins at the speed like turbos do. The other option
would be to go with Whipple supercharger which would give you instant
power.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:35 PM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car is not a daily driver and is just a toy.
I have a trailer and will deliver and pick up.
I will also pay a discounted price for SC set up.
Can deliver anytime. I am from Chicago and would like to go up and see some friends anyways....
Can keep the car for as long as you like.

Ken Coble
Memphis, TN
chiefcoble@hotmail.com
Old 01-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Doesn't Speed Force Racing already sell a kit? How's that one; looks centrifugal, but oiling is self contained?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

KenC and I have begun discussion about getting his 944 up here for a fitting...

JChen - you have some of that information correct, some not so much. Let me explain: the Whipple does produce boost immediatly - where a centrifugal supercharger has less on the bottom end - but there is a cost for this. Heat.

A Whipple has a lower adiabatic efficiency than a centrifugal supercharger - that means it heats the air more when it compresses it and thats BAD. Heat expands the air (now it's less dense) and contributes to detonation. So, if installing a Whipple, you must install a BIG intercooler to cool the charged air.
Where are you going to put that in your 944?

Of course, because a Whipple is a positive discplacement blower, its mean to be mounted directly on top of the motor - like a big old Roots GMC blower used to, and replacing your intake manifold - and that means it will require the complete replacement of your injector systems and fuel management system with aftermarket stuff. It starts to get complicated.

No, I'll be using a properly-sized centrifugal blower, keeping the stock intake manifold and fuel system as much as possible, and making the kit a lot less difficult to install.

Side benefit: emissions testing.
In states/counties that only do sniff (sampling) tests without a visual test, the centrifugal is more likely to pass emissions because of the very thing JChen pointed out - the centrifugal comes in at about 3000 RPM and the emissions tests are done at 2500 RPM (called a cruise test) and at idle. Because the boost has not come in, and the factory Porsche induction/fuel system is still intact, this car will pass emissions - why wouldn't it? At 2500 RPM, its still all stock.

Not so the Whipple. It will ghave boost at 2500 RPM, so it will have (if properly tuned) richened the mixture accordingly, and therefor is likely to have hi HC emmissions if tuned for HP and to avoid detonation.

In states with Visual inspections in addition to Sniff testing (California for example): The centrifugal supercharger is an add-on to the front of the motor - it comes off - all the stock manifolds and fuel system is there - go get it inspected, get certified, and come back home and hang your supercharger once again. Easy. To do same with a Whipple means you will tear down your motor to the block - removing and reinstalling your complete intake system and all injectors and fuel lines just so you can go get inspected. No fun.

BTW - I like Whipples. They are technologically very advanced and, if I wanted a positive discplacement blower to go drag racing - I'd use a Whipple because they are a huge improvement over the Roots-type blower. It's just that this application is better suited for a centrifugal-type instead.

Hacker - I'm almost frightened to ask... what were you doing to cause a disclocated elbow?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow this would be awesome if you could keep the a/c. i'm not on the board for a couple days and look what happens!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:01 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Hacker - I'm almost frightened to ask... what were you doing to cause a disclocated elbow?
Details here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/182784-patch-of-ice-cowboy-boots-visit-to-the-er-now-with-x-ray-s.html
Old 01-31-2005, 02:37 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I saw 2 of the supercharged 928's at the EAA show this last summer...Had great conversation with the guy who started making these kits for the 928's....He had his kick *** 928 there also...Great guy..! From what I seen at the show on those 928's, well the quality was all there...If anyone should do it..It should be him...

DAmian
Old 01-31-2005, 10:32 AM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

I just bought my car from a guy in WI.... Too busy having fun with it to let it go for 4 hours let alone 4 months. I'm totally interested in the S-charger that doesn't sacrifice the AC!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Exciting supercharger info for all 944 owners. COME IN HERE!