Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Orange T

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:41 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes I agree Macca, A lot is going to look new but I am looking forward to those parts ageing nicely so they fit in with the parts that went back on unrestored.

Deep six Fuchs:
I'm not sure that there is an easy way to paint these. The deep part of the sixes make masking in there a pain. A bit easier if you don't mind masking out a bit further for a bit of black paint on the lip but of all the pictures I've seen so far of deep sixes, I prefer the entire lip unpainted. The dipping or flooding method runs black paint out into the lip so I don't favour this method.
What I'm experimenting with is at least getting a good line around the lip by flooding just a small part right at the bottom of the florets.
Block off the valve hole and pour in some paint. Here is some etch primer making its way around the rim and self levelling to create a good line. Pop the masking tape at the valve hole and let it drain. Follow this up with black and then I have a nice and straight line to mask to for the spray job for the balance of the blackening.

Looking for an easy way to mask the florets too. I've considered masking the lip up to the new paint line then flooding the total wheel with the paint level high enough to do the florets properly but not sure how well the masking tape will keep paint off the lip whilst submerged.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Booth Coat

What if you use Booth Coat instead of masking tape?

http://www.binks.com/products/consum...oth-coat-white

It's like liquid latex rubber. Originally for protecting spray booths from layers of over-spray. I have used it for many masking jobs that it was not intended for

Lots of companies make versions of this product. 3M etc.

Jase.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

what is the perfered look for deep 6" on a long hood? Painted? polished? etc?
Old 12-02-2015, 03:12 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jherriott
What if you use Booth Coat instead of masking tape?

http://www.binks.com/products/consum...oth-coat-white

It's like liquid latex rubber. Originally for protecting spray booths from layers of over-spray. I have used it for many masking jobs that it was not intended for

Lots of companies make versions of this product. 3M etc.

Jase.
Hi Jase,
That stuff looks interesting - I've not seen that before. Looks a bit like plastidip, which I have some of.
Dave.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:16 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
what is the perfered look for deep 6" on a long hood? Painted? polished? etc?
I don't know. I don't really even know what constituted the factory finish. Bright Anodising I think then the black out.
I've gone slightly rustic natural, which could be a pain to keep up but I quite like it. Not so perfect
Old 12-02-2015, 03:29 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I don't know. I don't really even know what constituted the factory finish. Bright Anodising I think then the black out.
I've gone slightly rustic natural, which could be a pain to keep up but I quite like it. Not so perfect
i am shopping for 6" hearts. I have come across somw highly polished examples.
Not sure how i feel about it.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Yeah, too blingy. Nothing a couple of hours with some wet and dry and scotchbrite pads wouldn't fix
Old 12-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Maxem
Drifting

I layed down a sheet of cling film then made a fibreglass plug. This thing wil be trimmed down to the masking line that I want then used in each of the 5 areas on a wheel as a guide to get a consistent masking tape line across them all.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Back to the dash. I had pretty much written these things off as well past their best. What appeared to be tarnished finish on the polished edges was just some overspray, sealant and contact adhesive. Stripped the basketweave off and gave them a good clean with acetone and they have come right back to almost new. I will now make these up with the leather inlays as well as the other custom set I made earlier and see which set will go through to being fitted.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I tried everything. Wanted something reminiscent of the RSR finish. Tried polishing, then sandblasting, then media-blasting, then scotch bright, and just could not get a consistent repeatable finish on the lip of the rim. Finally ordered a "Silbur" rattle can from Pelican. Wurth also has a "Silbur" rattle can. A local restoration shop told me that the factory race teams needed the wheels to be "fixable" between races. What is easier than grabbing a can and spraying? Had tires installed and wheels have come on and off many times and driven thousands of miles and nobody is the wiser.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...r-germany.html

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 12-03-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by amber lamps
I tried everything. Wanted something reminiscent of the RSR finish. Tried polishing, then sandblasting, then media-blasting, then scotch bright, and just could not get a consistent repeatable finish on the lip of the rim. Finally ordered a "Silbur" rattle can from Pelican. Wurth also has a "Silbur" rattle can. A local restoration shop told me that the factory race teams needed the wheels to be "fixable" between races. What is easier than grabbing a can and spraying? Had tires installed and wheels have come on and off many times and driven thousands of miles and nobody is the wiser.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...r-germany.html
Thanks for the tip. One wheel is done but I'm not happy with the finish. The top coat seems to re-liven the etch primer and turns it back to liquid which then goes a mottley grey. Something isn't compatible. More sanding now I guess.
Happy with the high tide method of getting a good line around the rim. Works great.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Pretty happy with this lot.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty happy with this lot.
Dave. What was the reason for not running with your dimpled brown custom leather on these parts? Just needed contrast?
Old 12-05-2015, 04:27 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice work Mate they look really good ...........
Old 12-05-2015, 06:18 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Dave. What was the reason for not running with your dimpled brown custom leather on these parts? Just needed contrast?
Good question. The dash top, door tops, side panel tops and back shelf all remain black. So I figured that the dash in its entirety should keep this going. I've made another set of dash plates and will work out a non invasive way to de mount these ones so occasional change outs are possible. I was all guns blazing on a CNC'd metal insert with lots of small holes and laser etched control names in German but as I get further into this I'm starting to realise that there was an awfull lot of thought put into the dash by the design team and they got it just right for the times.

Quick Reply: Orange T