Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Invoice Pricing For Boxster Spyder and dealing below MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 08:41 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dealer Invoice Pricing For Boxster Spyder and dealing below MSRP

Hello all. I can't find Porsche dealer invoice pricing, that is the price paid by the dealer for its Boxster Spyder. Given the high price I suspect the Spyder has a big gap between MSRP and actual dealer invoice. Does anyone know this number? I know a dealer with three of these cars (718 Spyders) on its lot. At least two of which were customer special order cars where the customer backed out. Trying to figure out what the dealer paid for these cars so I can determine what my offer should be. Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2020, 12:11 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

I think 9% is an average margin. You can start low and work your way up to msrp where they will actually sell the car. On a new car without its in service date punched, you might get lucky and get 3-5k off if its a loaded high msrp car or a wierd spec. Or yellow Otherwise dont be shocked if they reject your offers under msrp. Its still a GT car and pretty new
The following 3 users liked this post by Rennolazine:
excelsiorz (10-10-2020), JAhmed (10-10-2020), n4v4nod (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 02:06 AM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I think 9% is an average margin. You can start low and work your way up to msrp where they will actually sell the car. On a new car without its in service date punched, you might get lucky and get 3-5k off if its a loaded high msrp car or a wierd spec. Or yellow Otherwise dont be shocked if they reject your offers under msrp. Its still a GT car and pretty new
They initiated the offer.....at $2k below MSRP. I suspect their GT cars have higher margins.....higher price cars = higher margins I would think. I mean, the Spyder they have is about twice what MSRP is on standard 718. Would be very interesting to see what a Porsche dealer pays for a Spyder.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excelsiorz
They initiated the offer.....at $2k below MSRP. I suspect their GT cars have higher margins.....higher price cars = higher margins I would think. I mean, the Spyder they have is about twice what MSRP is on standard 718. Would be very interesting to see what a Porsche dealer pays for a Spyder.
so it was yellow, eh...
just kidding. Lets see how low u can gettem.
The following users liked this post:
excelsiorz (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 02:11 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

All depends on the build as well. VIP cars are often specced with options that are of little market value, so dealers will be more likely to cut a deal to move cars like that. That’s the challenge of buying a Porsche you didn’t spec. You wind up paying for options you don’t want.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
Asker509 (10-20-2020), excelsiorz (10-10-2020), UncleDude (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 06:43 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
All depends on the build as well. VIP cars are often specced with options that are of little market value, so dealers will be more likely to cut a deal to move cars like that. That’s the challenge of buying a Porsche you didn’t spec. You wind up paying for options you don’t want.
or after 5 months of the car sitting on their lot they are prepared to discount all the leather and piano black options they specced on it in the 1st case!
Old 10-10-2020, 08:51 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,036 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by excelsiorz
Depends on how much are the options, and what they are. I wouldn’t pay too much for leather fuse box cover, belt outlet trim, door sills etc etc unless you really want to have it.

30k in options should get you better discount than one with 10k.

I think someone on here got a decent discount on a GT4 by negotiating with the dealer regarding some unwanted options.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:06 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 596 Posts

I think you are over thinking your offer
because even if you have the invoice pricing , there is hold back and other incentives from factory to dealer
and even if you know these numbers , it does not mean the dealer will accept your offer
roughly speaking you can safely say 10 % off , still leave them small margin
will they accept that on a GT car , probably not , but you can try
also different dealers have different business models , meaning , some will sit on a car for a year and will never discount , some will discount aggressively to move a car
Car market now is very fragmented. Some regular cars are selling at crazy premiums , and 718 GT cars , seem harder to move
you never know for sure, unless you negotiate and I suggest starting with GSM rather than SA because the SA will automatically tell you some BS
excelsiorz (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:25 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Might help to know who the dealer is and what the 3 different specs are...
excelsiorz (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:29 AM
Poupon McArr
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
30k in options should get you better discount than one with 10k.
The more you spend, the more you save!
Old 10-10-2020, 09:42 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,036 Likes on 555 Posts

Just a shot in the dark here.

Is this at Pfaff?

https://pfaffporsche.com/inventory/?model=718+Spyder
Old 10-10-2020, 10:10 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 833 Posts

Is this at Pfaff?

I bet its Khalifornia
Old 10-10-2020, 11:04 AM
Tiny Porsche Fan
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this at Pfaff?

well isn’t that interesting! I paid that dealer an allocation deposit 2 1/2 years ago and was told right up to July of this year, no allocation for me yet. I had bought my previous Boxster S new from them. Received zero updates unless I contacted them. Finally went to another Toronto area dealer. Paid the allocation deposit, got the allocation, placed the order, car was built last week, expect delivery in early December. Obviously their arrogance lost them my business.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:12 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Originally Posted by pitt911
because even if you have the invoice pricing , there is hold back and other incentives from factory to dealer
and even if you know these numbers , it does not mean the dealer will accept your offer
will they accept that on a GT car , probably not , but you can try
also different dealers have different business models , meaning , some will sit on a car for a year and will never discount , some will discount aggressively to move a car
Car market now is very fragmented. Some regular cars are selling at crazy premiums , and 718 GT cars , seem harder to move
you never know for sure, unless you negotiate and I suggest starting with GSM rather than SA because the SA will automatically tell you some BS
Great points. Yes, this dealer has no less than 3 Spyders at least two of which customers ordered to their spec and then backed out. I know one at least one Spyder has been there for several months. Whether this dealer will let them sit for a year I don't know.
I was thinking there must be huge markups on the GT Spyders given their pretty substantial markup over standard 718.

Interesting....wonder why the 718 GT cars are not selling well? Too expensive for "just a Boxster"? Too close to 911 money?
Asker509 (10-20-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 01:15 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Originally Posted by pitt911
Great information. How nice it would be to know what kinds of incentives/holdbacks Porsche gives dealers for the 718 GT cars like the Spyder

Quick Reply: Dealer Invoice Pricing For Boxster Spyder and dealing below MSRP