Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Invoice Pricing For Boxster Spyder and dealing below MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 09:30 PM
ferrarifundo
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

No trades involved .. direct discount .. delivery January... he likes both so he is not sure which one to go for given the window is closing on him .. He knows the GM pretty well...Guess that helps LOL
Old 10-11-2020, 09:38 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrarifundo
No trades involved .. direct discount .. delivery January... he likes both so he is not sure which one to go for given the window is closing on him .. He knows the GM pretty well...Guess that helps LOL
If it is because he knows the GM and he is cutting him a special deal, then it's not really relevant of the real world and pretty useless info. for potential buyers out there.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:19 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
One dealer. I’m guessing it’s a Premier dealer, right? One with a bunch of VIPs that either spec and don’t take or that the dealer uses to inventory cars. PNH?

If you search all the sites and accumulate the real cars out there, it’s a tiny fraction of the total sold so far. The GT4 and Spyder has sold really well so far, as evidenced by how difficult it has been to get an allocation. But Covid will definitely have an impact.
For Spyder that may be true, but don’t believe GT4s are that hard to get. My three local dealers all offered me an allocation. My closet dealer has two cars sitting on the lot right now, and that was three two weeks ago as they recently sold on that was on their lot for a month. Demand seems low for the GT4. I bet late PDK availability and the upcoming RS has kept early demand low.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
For Spyder that may be true, but don’t believe GT4s are that hard to get. My three local dealers all offered me an allocation. My closet dealer has two cars sitting on the lot right now, and that was three two weeks ago as they recently sold on that was on their lot for a month. Demand seems low for the GT4. I bet late PDK availability and the upcoming RS has kept early demand low.
Trust me, demand hasn’t been low for the GT4. There have been hundreds delivered to customers at or above MSRP. The cars sitting around are VIP cars that got left at dealers, and most are unique builds that are going to take a while to sell. Porsche GT customers tend to want to spec their own cars. I’ve seen two GT4 dealer cars that I would have been even remotely interested in.

Its certainly not the crazy days of 2-4 years ago, but they’re not giving them away either. And the number of GT4s for sale on lots is pretty similar to the Spyder if you adjust for relative production levels.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:40 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Trust me, demand hasn’t been low for the GT4. There have been hundreds delivered to customers at or above MSRP. The cars sitting around are VIP cars that got left at dealers, and most are unique builds that are going to take a while to sell. Porsche GT customers tend to want to spec their own cars. I’ve seen two GT4 dealer cars that I would have been even remotely interested in.

Its certainly not the crazy days of 2-4 years ago, but they’re not giving them away either. And the number of GT4s for sale on lots is pretty similar to the Spyder if you adjust for relative production levels.
again, not true for my area. I know the VIPs who turned down and the first 3 folks who got their GT4s at this particular dealership.

From what I was told, three three sitting on the lot were back outs. For comparison, I want to buy a Spyder and have been on my dealers list since the announcement and they can’t even tell when a rough time frame of when I would get my car. GT4, I could put a deposit tomorrow and I would get the next one.

Last edited by Five12Free; 10-11-2020 at 11:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Asker509 (10-20-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 11:53 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

I think I mentioned this in another post, but I would expect that to change some after the C8 Z06 is released. I think it will upset the mid-engine sports car market.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
Asker509 (10-20-2020), excelsiorz (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 12:11 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,911 Likes on 2,212 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I think I mentioned this in another post, but I would expect that to change some after the C8 Z06 is released. I think it will upset the mid-engine sports car market.
Doubtful. Generally the flow from Chevy to Porsche is larger than the reverse.

Why wait for the Z? Base/Z51 already pushing high hp/tq —- how many jumping? Lastly C8 DCT only.

I just dumped my Z06/07 M7 to get into a Spyder...staying in the Vette never a consideration.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:09 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
again, not true for my area. I know the VIPs who turned down and the first 3 folks who got their GT4s at this particular dealership.

From what I was told, three three sitting on the lot were back outs. For comparison, I want to buy a Spyder and have been on my dealers list since the announcement and they can’t even tell when a rough time frame of when I would get my car. GT4, I could put a deposit tomorrow and I would get the next one.
Five12Free is correct. GT4s are being made in sufficient quantities whereas the Spyder isn’t.

The two at the dealer aren’t overly bloated and aren’t VIP. Both are at 120 with buckets and some other odds and ends that drives the price up. One is White, the other Gentian Blue. Both Aurum wheels. I got the first car at this particular dealer. These are 100% back outs. Seems like the market here is a bit soft. That said, if you are looking for white or GB, I can send anyone the contact info of my SA.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:14 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Doubtful. Generally the flow from Chevy to Porsche is larger than the reverse.

Why wait for the Z? Base/Z51 already pushing high hp/tq —- how many jumping? Lastly C8 DCT only.

I just dumped my Z06/07 M7 to get into a Spyder...staying in the Vette never a consideration.
Maybe in the past, but the C8 Z06 is going to be special. 5.5L Flat Plank V8 with a 9K redline derived from the C8R race car. 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds. Believe me, it is going to be a game changer.

The following users liked this post:
Asker509 (10-20-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Maybe in the past, but the C8 Z06 is going to be special. 5.5L Flat Plank V8 with a 9K redline derived from the C8R race car. 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds. Believe me, it is going to be a game changer.
I have no doubt it will be a great performer.

Frunk unlatching, crooked stitching, some engine failure issue is not very confidence inspiring for me.

IMHO, the build quality and possibly design is not keeping up with its technical prowess.

I guess I prefer a well rounded, balanced package and the Porsche Kool aid that I am drinking is pretty addictive.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:31 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I don’t think gt4/spyder/gts sales will be affected at all by any iteration of the Corvette. It has been a huge sports car performance bargain for decades now — that’s nothing new. If anything, many find the C8 looks objectionable and uglier than its predecessors, and a Spyder buyer has already chosen to suffer the PITA manual top for beauty.

The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
843Spyder (01-29-2021), NFSF (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 08:46 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
I have no doubt it will be a great performer.

Frunk unlatching, crooked stitching, some engine failure issue is not very confidence inspiring for me.

IMHO, the build quality and possibly design is not keeping up with its technical prowess.

I guess I prefer a well rounded, balanced package and the Porsche Kool aid that I am drinking is pretty addictive.
The Z06 will be tempting and it will steal some P-Car sales but there’s an underlying thing that the C8 will never have, Porsche DNA. I did the C7 thing, it was fun but regardless what they do it will always be missing that intangible component. There are no specs or stats that can quantify it, you either understand it or you don’t.

It’s kind of like, “if I have to explain it you wouldn’t understand”. I drank the Porsche Kool Aid 42 years ago, it’s engrained in me.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:52 AM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I don’t think gt4/spyder/gts sales will be affected at all by any iteration of the Corvette. It has been a huge sports car performance bargain for decades now — that’s nothing new. If anything, many find the C8 looks objectionable and uglier than its predecessors, and a Spyder buyer has already chosen to suffer the PITA manual top for beauty.
Agreed. I never considered C8 in any iterations or any corvette in the past. I am sure ZO6 will be a beast but Chevy guy I am not. My soon to be GT4 will suit me perfectly and who knows maybe a 992 GT3 in the future😁.

John
Old 10-12-2020, 08:55 AM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 362 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
.... If anything, many find the C8 looks objectionable and uglier than its predecessors.
... and The C8 is 5 inches wider, 9 inches longer, 400 lbs heavier! - They lost me after the C6.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:17 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
... and The C8 is 5 inches wider, 9 inches longer, 400 lbs heavier! - They lost me after the C6.
In 2006, when I was shopping for a new open-top backroads carver, I test drove a Corvette, a 911, and a Boxster. The Boxster won hands down, it wasn’t even close. Since then I’ve been a Boxster fanatic and less attracted to each new Corvette iteration even as they grew into ever bigger hp/$ “bargains”. By adding size, hp, and weight, most sports car makers have lost the plot. The 987 Boxster may still be the car I’d pick for my backroads regardless of price. Porsche is at least trying to retain this ethos in some of its new models like the Spyder or gts 4.0.

Quick Reply: Dealer Invoice Pricing For Boxster Spyder and dealing below MSRP