Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you survive the break-in period??

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:40 PM
solidgranite
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How did you survive the break-in period??

Looking for a little support and maybe some clever ideas on how you managed the break-in period. Not here to debate whether or not it's necessary (I'm in the camp it's the right thing to do), but rather, how did you keep the RPMs down for so long? At this rate, it's going to take me a year to get her over 1800mi. The car is begging me to go over 4000rpm every single time I drive her.

I work from home and just generally do not drive a ton. Sitting at 219mi on the odometer today. Also, being from Chicago, the Winter will afford me far fewer opportunities to drive her.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! If nothing else, this thread can hopefully help myself and others cope with the champagne problems of owning a Porsche.

Last edited by solidgranite; Today at 01:41 PM.
Old Today, 01:46 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,427 Likes on 690 Posts

AT 500 miles bring her up to 5K from time to time-at 750 miles maybe hit 6K and occasionally hit 5K. At 1000 miles let her rip.
The following 2 users liked this post by Staffie Guy:
loxxrider (Today), solidgranite (Today)
Old Today, 01:54 PM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
AT 500 miles bring her up to 5K from time to time-at 750 miles maybe hit 6K and occasionally hit 5K. At 1000 miles let her rip.
This is similar to what my philosophy has been. Porsche is asking to avoid greater than 4k RPMs, but the occasional shift past that to 5k or so isn't going to hurt anything. Everything in moderation, I say! I'll still be treating it nicely even at 1000 miles, but by then I'm sure the occasional 6k RPM shift will be unavoidable ​​​​
The following users liked this post:
solidgranite (Today)
Old Today, 01:55 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 833 Likes on 415 Posts

Take a couple of days off and do a road trip over country roads.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
notcarbonated (Today), solidgranite (Today)
Old Today, 02:13 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,276 Likes on 1,499 Posts

If you're not really driving the car (1,800 mi a year) then mostly you are enjoying seeing it in your garage and rpms are not an issue when static. What is really more concern for you is keeping the battery charged and the car operated enough so the seals don't dry out.

You say. you don't want to discuss the need for break-in, so you really have answered your own question. Drive it or let someone else drive it for you is about all you can do.

I see Porsche, BMW, Audi and even Ferrari bring out factory new cars for track day experiences that have no miles on them at all, to be flogged around the track at max g's and rpms relentlessly until taken out of service them sold to the general public. Those vehicles are not "Broken in" at all.

Me? I don't bother with break in - never lost an engine in about 60 new cars over my lifetime from failure to follow rpms when new. When I get a new car, I look left, look right, then nail it.
The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
AlterZgo (Today), M3Inline6 (Today), Tupper (Today)
Old Today, 02:20 PM
division
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 46 Posts

There's a break in period?
The following 5 users liked this post by division:
AlterZgo (Today), ddreyfu76 (Today), Ray K. (Today), soguinness (Today), solidgranite (Today)
Old Today, 02:20 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Go exploring. Either by word of mouth or google maps go find the fun drives in your area. You don't want to go ***** out on roads you have never driven before anyway, so it's a nice way to learn the car and your routes safely while putting on some miles.
Old Today, 02:24 PM
solidgranite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike818
Go exploring. Either by word of mouth or google maps go find the fun drives in your area. You don't want to go ***** out on roads you have never driven before anyway, so it's a nice way to learn the car and your routes safely while putting on some miles.
Great suggestion, thanks!
Old Today, 02:38 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,437 Likes on 520 Posts

Well I had it done within a month or so of driving loops on the mountains... Not to bad. Idling around under 4k rpms isn't doing the motor any favors. I made sure to use it up and down the rev range as much as possible under load through the twisty bits, even up to 4500 sometimes.

Like other said, slowly creeping up to 5k, then 6k, and so on so that by the time I got to 1600 miles I got an oil change and she was ready to rip.
Old Today, 02:58 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by division
There's a break in period?
Exactly, how many guys are going to baby one of these cars for over a 1,000 miles. I have never known anyone who did.
Old Today, 03:04 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,894 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by solidgranite
Looking for a little support and maybe some clever ideas on how you managed the break-in period. Not here to debate whether or not it's necessary (I'm in the camp it's the right thing to do), but rather, how did you keep the RPMs down for so long? At this rate, it's going to take me a year to get her over 1800mi. The car is begging me to go over 4000rpm every single time I drive her.

I work from home and just generally do not drive a ton. Sitting at 219mi on the odometer today. Also, being from Chicago, the Winter will afford me far fewer opportunities to drive her.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! If nothing else, this thread can hopefully help myself and others cope with the champagne problems of owning a Porsche.
We don’t cope. We drive!
The following 3 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
AlterZgo (Today), solidgranite (Today), Tupper (Today)
Old Today, 03:21 PM
CJDCREW
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

I suggest getting up early or staying up late and logging some pre/post-rush hour miles. I also recommend trying the ROADS app or asking friends for ideas or just driving some of your favorite roads, taking the long way home from errands, forget something on your spouse’s grocery list, hit some cloverleaf interchanges, etc. I have done that and after 13 days I’m at 1,000 miles (I normally barely hit 8,000 miles a year). To be full disclosure, I’m doing more of the Preuninger break in method so I didn’t suffer quite as much as you but my philosophy was get through break in like it’s my job so I can get to the fun times.
Old Today, 03:33 PM
solidgranite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CJDCREW
I suggest getting up early or staying up late and logging some pre/post-rush hour miles. I also recommend trying the ROADS app or asking friends for ideas or just driving some of your favorite roads, taking the long way home from errands, forget something on your spouse’s grocery list, hit some cloverleaf interchanges, etc. I have done that and after 13 days I’m at 1,000 miles (I normally barely hit 8,000 miles a year). To be full disclosure, I’m doing more of the Preuninger break in method so I didn’t suffer quite as much as you but my philosophy was get through break in like it’s my job so I can get to the fun times.
Great advice, thanks! Didn't know about the "roads" app.
Old Today, 03:38 PM
CJDCREW
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

Great advice, thanks! Didn't know about the "roads" app.
Btw - the subtext on my rec was that I couldn’t make it many days without giving it the beans, so I had to match the time it would take with my willpower level and ability to rationalize poor choices! I have no advice to help with the willpower side!
The following users liked this post:
solidgranite (Today)
Old Today, 03:47 PM
ThrustNormal
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Long road-trips in sport mode with constant downshifts to get RPMs up. You could also get her on jackstands and pull a Ferris Bueller(not in reverse).

Quick Reply: How did you survive the break-in period??