Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:44 AM
zorgg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.0 NA engine, 450 hp, manual gearbox & soft top, curb weight c. 1.3 tons, MSRP < 100 k$... That would be brave !! But the car would probably be a bit too high above the line in Peter's graph, from a marketing point of view...
Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Performance aside, I got to be honest, given the ugly backside of the 718, I'm having a hard time getting excited about a next gen Spyder. But then again, maybe throwing a Spydi-hump on the back would help.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Brave in what way?
Allow it to out perform the 911S
Old 07-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Nick, you are right that Porsche is all over the map with respect to transmission exclusivity. Though AP stated that they want to offer a choice, Turbo, GTx RS are PDK-only. The rationalization could be, RSs are track focused; and, the Turbo's take-rate of MT was pretty low, historically (Turbo drivers can't be bothered to shift on their own)! AP apparently stated that they didn't have the time to develop PDK for GT4. He could be fudging a bit to avoid having to say, 'we wanted to slow it down a bit'!

As for the PDK take-rate for Spyder, I suspect, would be substantial. We already seen forum members criticizing Porsche for not offering PDK. So, we might see a sizable group opting for it. MT die-hards are a tiny minority. And, those truthfully eschew auto-rev matching are the real MT Guardians, and even smaller group!!

Brave in what way?
And after 6-months in my PDK Cayman I have a great respect for the PDK. If I were to order a Spyder personally I'd chose the MT but can totally appreciate another's choice for the PDK. It would / will be a phenomenal sports car.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:05 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I love the Spyder in a MT right balance and HP makes the MT fun. My RS I love in PDK because of the speed, and PDX allows for me to focus on driving the beast. Paddle shifting allowabls for high RPM run up(:
Old 07-20-2017, 03:43 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
And after 6-months in my PDK Cayman I have a great respect for the PDK. If I were to order a Spyder personally I'd chose the MT but can totally appreciate another's choice for the PDK. It would / will be a phenomenal sports car.
I wasn't slamming the PDK, if it sounded that way. It has got a # of benefits, which we are familiar with. 982 Spyder with PDK will indeed be a kick *** ride! Let's see what's the split of MT/PDK turns out to be.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
I hope it offers PDK. It'll result in less manuals and keep prices for us owners of ones higher.
I'm usually a big proponent of giving people options, but doesn't it make the car a little extra special and unique when it is only offered as a manual in this day and age when 99% of cars have two pedals? In my mind it does. This isn't a commentary on the whole PDK vs. MT debate or which is better for what purposes. I'm just noting that a MT-only car is almost unheard of today and that fact alone makes it something very unique and special.

As for the PDK take-rate for Spyder, I suspect, would be substantial.
I've never seen any stats on what percentage of 987 Spyders have PDK. Anyone know?

I think the PDK take rate on the new GT3 will be very illuminating. For a track-oriented GT car there is unusually high interest in the MT and it will be interesting to see how the transmission breakdown shakes out.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I'm usually a big proponent of giving people options, but doesn't it make the car a little extra special and unique when it is only offered as a manual in this day and age when 99% of cars have two pedals? In my mind it does. This isn't a commentary on the whole PDK vs. MT debate or which is better for what purposes. I'm just noting that a MT-only car is almost unheard of today and that fact alone makes it something very unique and special.

I've never seen any stats on what percentage of 987 Spyders have PDK. Anyone know?

I think the PDK take rate on the new GT3 will be very illuminating. For a track-oriented GT car there is unusually high interest in the MT and it will be interesting to see how the transmission breakdown shakes out.
The 981 is manual only already. I understand what you're saying though. As far as PDK take rate for the GT3, that will indeed be interesting. That said, I think you'll see a lot of manual because many will be trying to flip early on.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/195...spiration.html

Entertaining reading some of these comments. More so the ones questioning the source.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

I wasn't slamming the PDK, if it sounded that way. It has got a # of benefits, which we are familiar with. 982 Spyder with PDK will indeed be a kick *** ride! Let's see what's the split of MT/PDK turns out to be.
No worries Henry. We could run a Poll.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/195...spiration.html

Entertaining reading some of these comments.
More so the ones questioning the source.
Here is the exchange from Planet 9 that Donavan
is talking about:

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
'Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!'
Rennlist post from user 'Z356'

This user has been a strong contributor on the 911 boards in the past,
and has a credible history. Sounds like they're really throwing the
marketing guys under the bus...
Originally Posted by Panda Dragon
Believe it when I see it. 99% of these types of interviews, articles, etc.
are complete bullsh1t. There is of course always that 1% possibility it
may turn out to be true.
Originally Posted by Madmac
He's a very connected Rennlister, so have no reason to doubt him.
I think it's awesome that the GT cars are still NA.... for now.
Originally Posted by Panda Dragon
Not doubting what he heard. Doubting his source. Go back and look
at all the misinformation that was out there leading up to the launch
of just about every P sports car over the last few years. There were
sources claiming the S version of the "718" was going to stay with the
flat-6. How'd that work out? Then it was the GTS model that would
stay with the flat-6. No word on that model yet but I think everyone
now expects it to have the T4. So I guess now it's the Spyder . . . .

Oh, and who can forget Preuninger claiming that the motor in the GT3
RS would be an ALL NEW motor and not a revamp of the 3.8 in the GT3?
Or his lie that they couldn't make the larger-hp 3.8 from the 911 fit in
the GT4 (aftermarket shops can do that work no problem)?

As I said above, anything is possible and it yet may retain the flat-6,
but anyone who believes this settles the issue hasn't been paying
attention to all the bullsh1t over the past few years.
Originally Posted by Noah Fect
His source, being the CEO, is a couple of steps above Preuninger.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Currently in Vail Valley, CO
Old 07-23-2017, 03:47 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The title of that thread is wrong, to begin with. Spyder isn't "returning" to NA; it retains. Then there are references that the Spyder is a GT car. Well, it isn't (someone did correct in the end)! We would like it to be; not yet anyway. An average person tends to generalize and form an opinion based on past patterns and events. It might work in some cases. However, it will make them not see specific facts on the ground. Calling Porsche CEO's public statement a bull****, for example. They just can't connect the dots!

It was always expected; pretty much an open secret that GT3/GT4/Spyder were expected to remain NA, for now. Officially, until now, no marketing person ever made a statement one way or other. So, no one got thrown under the bus!
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Then there are references that the Spyder is a GT car. Well, it isn't (someone did correct in the end)! We would like it to be; not yet anyway.
Henry, I know you lament the Spyder not being a GT offering and I felt the very same way early on when it didn't get some of the GT4 bits. Now, almost two years later, I'm not so sure a Spyder breathed on by GT would be a good thing. If it results in a quantum jump in price, unusable power on the street, less compliant suspension, and a basically more track-oriented car (as GT cars are), I think I'd pass on AP's handiwork. The Spyder's forte is on the street and as a canyon carver and it has few equals in that regard. Tamper with its excellence in this area -- all in the name of a GT badge -- and you risk much. I say be careful what you wish for.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Henry, I know you lament the Spyder not being a GT offering and I felt the very same way early on when it didn't get some of the GT4 bits. Now, almost two years later, I'm not so sure a Spyder breathed on by GT would be a good thing. If it results in a quantum jump in price, unusable power on the street, less compliant suspension, and a basically more track-oriented car (as GT cars are), I think I'd pass on AP's handiwork. The Spyder's forte is on the street and as a canyon carver and it has few equals in that regard. Tamper with its excellence in this area -- all in the name of a GT badge -- and you risk much. I say be careful what you wish for.
After several GT cars, and current RS I prefer non-GT version set up on the Spyder. Had it been a GT car I would have not purchased, and it's a good DD if that's your choice. I wanted a car me and the wife and take long trips on with the top down. Also it's a very enjoyable ride, and by the way she hates getting into the RS ....both have LWB's.

Also resale on the Spyder is actually better than the GT4 if one cares. Spyder is a all around performer from me ...kids in college, and a fun hot wheel in the garage. My view on cars we played with hot wheels as kids, and they're just bigger now.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
My view on cars we played with hot wheels as kids, and they're just bigger now.
True! Although I still enjoy the little ones.

Quick Reply: Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!