Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 02:32 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
So this pretty much means the GT4 will be naturally aspirated as well. 4.0L for both?
Makes sense no.. ? lower revving/detuned version of the 4.0 GT3 engine across multiple cars in the lineup. GT4/Spyder/Speedster/Sport Classic. Then RS gets the 4.2.

And the beat goes on...
Old 07-15-2017, 08:37 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Makes sense no.. ? lower revving/detuned version of the 4.0 GT3 engine across multiple cars in the lineup. GT4/Spyder/Speedster/Sport Classic. Then RS gets the 4.2.

And the beat goes on...
Porsche wil have all my money
Old 07-15-2017, 08:44 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Porsche wil have all my money
And suddenly it makes sense.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
As I've said elsewhere I'm still hoping for a destroked 3.6L (or even 3.4L) version of the 9A1.5 that still revs to 9. Keep the head, dry sump, etc and simply drop the displacement. Let it scream.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

While I would love to see this happen, but the markups would be more insane than they are now (the car was underpriced though).

I think they will need to be cautious approaching price points of the GT3, and doing a de-tuned version of the GT3 motor might push that price too close. Then again, hope I'm wrong. As someone else said, they'd have all my money.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:18 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
While I would love to see this happen, but the markups would be more insane than they are now (the car was underpriced though).

I think they will need to be cautious approaching price points of the GT3, and doing a de-tuned version of the GT3 motor might push that price too close. Then again, hope I'm wrong. As someone else said, they'd have all my money.
Price (excluding markup) will be mainly determined by power to weight ratio as usual. Thus in order to keep the price in check we need to hope for (relatively) limited performance.

GT models are always a bit better than Porsche's regular lineup in $ per performance, but not too much. Looking at the landscape (below) there will be a nice slot at ~420 hp and ~98k USD (roughly 280 hp/ ton) that I would be tempted to aim at if I were Porsche. With a short-stroke 3.4L that would require virtually no de-tuning of the GT3's 9A1.5 to get there, and as a side benefit the relative lack of torque vs the 3.8 and 3.0 turbos should mean they won't need to saddle us with overly tall gearing (to keep 0-60 slower than the Carrera S) again.

The short stroke should also mean the bottom end rods, pistons and crank wouldn't need to be as exotic as the GT3s, while the economies of scale on the GT3's head and oiling system spread across more cars should make up for the higher cost of those parts. The lower friction and small displacement should also improve fuel economy over the 3.8. You do need a new lower final drive, but overall it'd be awesome without being too awesome, and make a better platform for the next clubsport due to the dry sump, etc.

I agree markups would be even higher, but isn't that almost their goal? If it were me...

Old 07-16-2017, 04:50 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Dude I love you and this GD chart.. every time it gets updated I get a chubby.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

and will it have PDK ???
Old 07-16-2017, 03:19 PM
guab
Pro

Originally Posted by Richard.
and will it have PDK ???
Unlikely given the current spyder
Old 07-17-2017, 04:31 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Hasn't AP repeatedly said that the Motorsport/GT dept doesn't do open cars?
Actually, in one of the transcripts of AP's speech (Rennsport Reunion?) posted by Eduardo, he admitted that the Spyder could have been a GT car. Yes, they haven't done an open top car, not withstanding Carrera GT. Apparently, factory capacity was an issue. In the end, he seemed to have left the door open for it to be a GT. So, there is a chance.

Originally Posted by guab
Unlikely given the current spyder
Spyder will have PDK. AP is on record, more than once, saying that they would want to provide both the options for the consumer to choose.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petevb
As I've said elsewhere I'm still hoping for a destroked 3.6L (or even 3.4L) version of the 9A1.5 that still revs to 9. Keep the head, dry sump, etc and simply drop the displacement. Let it scream.
I like this idea better than 4.0. Might be lighter; and, who wouldn't want to rev to 9k?? While they are at it, make at least first 3 gears shorter. However, such an engine might not meet current regs. Will it?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Spyder will have PDK. AP is on record, more than once, saying that they would want to provide both the options for the consumer to choose.
Bold call, Henry. I'm betting manual only, although the 987 was obviously offered with PDK so there is precedent. And, of course, the new GT3 is offered with either transmission. But given that the Spyder is not a track-oriented model and falls within that niche of Porsches like the R that are marketed as purist offerings that are more analog in nature, my bet is no PDK.

Would any of us with 981 Spyders have checked the box for PDK if offered? My guess is very few.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:59 PM
guab
Pro

I hope it offers PDK. It'll result in less manuals and keep prices for us owners of ones higher.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Cayman/Boxster is 200/250Kg lighter than a 911 and handles better, lets hope for Porsche AG being brave
Old 07-17-2017, 06:24 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
............ But given that the Spyder is not a track-oriented model and falls within that niche of Porsches like the R that are marketed as purist offerings that are more analog in nature, my bet is no PDK.

Would any of us with 981 Spyders have checked the box for PDK if offered? My guess is very few.
Nick, you are right that Porsche is all over the map with respect to transmission exclusivity. Though AP stated that they want to offer a choice, Turbo, GTx RS are PDK-only. The rationalization could be, RSs are track focused; and, the Turbo's take-rate of MT was pretty low, historically (Turbo drivers can't be bothered to shift on their own)! AP apparently stated that they didn't have the time to develop PDK for GT4. He could be fudging a bit to avoid having to say, 'we wanted to slow it down a bit'!

As for the PDK take-rate for Spyder, I suspect, would be substantial. We already seen forum members criticizing Porsche for not offering PDK. So, we might see a sizable group opting for it. MT die-hards are a tiny minority. And, those truthfully eschew auto-rev matching are the real MT Guardians, and even smaller group!!

Originally Posted by Richard.
Cayman/Boxster is 200/250Kg lighter than a 911 and handles better, lets hope for Porsche AG being brave
Brave in what way?

Quick Reply: Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!