Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Well Eduardo - I do relate to your choice as it is
similar to letting go of my 08 TT cab in favour of
a Gen 1 Spyder. Others had questioned my logic
but the car was so mammothly powerful it was
just too easy to break the speed limit. I opted
for something lighter and more fun on the twisties.
I only regret it as being a good DD, something it
sounds like your Gt3 was not.
Understood!

I too have a deposit on a Gen 3 Spyder.
My question to you is what's you PTS
strategy?
My PTS strategy? First, talk to my pal Wolfgang...

If that fails, try Hans Peter...

And, while I am at it, set up a séance to communicate
my 'Sunderwunsch' to the spirits of Ferry & Dorothea
(may they rest in peace!)...

And if after all of that I still get nowhere re: PTS,
then I try a little religion!

That's my normal PTS strategy! Isn't that the same
as everyone's else? Or are you the lucky dog that
played with C.J. Wison in Seaview Little League in
So. Ca. & is now is a VIP Customer at P-Fresno?

Then you are in-like-Flynn to the PTS Club!

Not me. I never played baseball as a kid.
Instead I was always tinkering with color
samples & the like. So I need to get PTS
the old-fashion way - by crook or by hook!

P.s. Great looking roads. I get down there a couple times
a year on business. Can you share your route with us?
Originally Posted by jfr0317
That was my 2014 GT3 that
Eduardo was driving on that trip. The photo was taken in
Big Bend National Park, but that is definitely not the place
to go fast (45 MPH or less speed limits!). Outside the park,
there are some great roads where you can stretch the car's
legs a bit more. Among them are US 385 from Marathon to
the park's north entrance, Texas 118 between Alpine and
Study Butte, Texas FM 170 between Lajitas and Presidio,
and the Texas 118/166 scenic loop in the Davis Mountains
west of Fort Davis.
That's not the place to go fast! Now you tell me!
Thanks John!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

Last edited by Z356; 08-07-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2017, 03:07 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 190 Likes on 139 Posts

The photo was taken in Big Bend National Park, but that is definitely not the place to go fast (45 MPH or less speed limits!).
You could go pretty fast on that stretch (zero traffic), but I wouldn't go flat out on a GT3. And you need to slow down as you approach a blind hill. But Big Bend is all about the twisties (road to Santa Elena Canyon, etc), and especially that incredible rollercoaster road that is 170 (you can't go fast there, even if you wanted). Haven't made it this year, but plan to. Take care.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:16 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
You could go pretty fast on that stretch (zero traffic), but I wouldn't go flat out on a GT3. And you need to slow down as you approach a blind hill. But Big Bend is all about the twisties (road to Santa Elena Canyon, etc), and especially that incredible rollercoaster road that is 170 (you can't go fast there, even if you wanted). Haven't made it this year, but plan to. Take care.
Several years ago, one member of our group made the mistake of getting caught speeding in the park. He was cited for doing 83 in a 45 and had to go to the Federal Courthouse in Alpine to settle the ticket since the offense occurred in the National Park.

I agree that FM 170 is a blast!

If I recall correctly, Eduardo saw the 150 MPH in the GT3 on Texas 166 southwest of Fort Davis. I was in my Turbo S at the time watching him drop back in my rearview mirror.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

If I recall correctly, Eduardo saw the 150 MPH in
the GT3 on Texas 166 southwest of Fort Davis. I
was in my Turbo S at the time watching him drop
back in my rearview mirror.
When you are driving your friend's car & not your
own, discretion is the better part of valor! So I was
happy to see John speed ahead in his 911 Turbo S!
Same when we ran into unexpected rain as we left
Austin. One of our friends in a 997 gt3 RS could not
wait to pass me as I slowed down to account for the
water-soaked roads! But as my dear mother always
said: 'más vale prevenir que curar'

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 08-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Ahhhh West Texas. Not the end of the world, but you can see it from there...

Texas is filled with remote highways and Farm-to-Market roads where you can wick it up to your heart's delight. I've gone faster on Texas backroads than I ever went on a racetrack.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:02 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 190 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
But as my dear mother always
said: 'más vale prevenir que curar
I always knew it was: 'más vale prevenir que lamentar', but close enough. Ha ha. And yes, I wouldn't go that fast on a borrowed car either. In fact, it's rare I accept such offers, even from my brothers. Just don't like taking such risks, especially with my luck. He he.

He was cited for doing 83 in a 45 and had to go to the Federal Courthouse in Alpine to settle the ticket since the offense occurred in the National Park. I agree that FM 170 is a blast!
I'm always very careful at the park, but when I go, it's on weekdays, so little to no traffic and rarely cops. But I'm always super careful when speeding, especially there, because it's a hassle indeed. Plus 25 over there's no defensive driving, and wouldn't want to ruin my perfect driving record. No tickets there so far (hope it stays that way), but I've always gone alone. In a pack of sports cars, no way cops wouldn't be alerted by the folks at the gate. Too risky like that. Reminds me of a trip with some friends with high-end cars, and my brother's Ferrari, on hwy 11. The SOBs of the Border Patrol station radioed cops from Deming, I guess, and there were 5 patrol cars waiting for us right before Columbus. Fortunately, a lone driver just passed them, and flashed his lights at the leader, and tragedy averted. He he. We were pulled over 3 more times (but not ticketed), before arriving at Alpine, AZ (highly recommended route). That was my last group drive.

And yes, those high-speed sweepers on 166 are something else. Have done them in sport bikes, but not in a car yet. Next time. Take care.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:33 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
.............. GT3 on a track and legal open roads there's nothing like it. My RS is the one car I said I would never sell. Again my Spyder is in that space for different reason.
I think you made my point! I am relating Spyder exclusively to spirited street driving and back roads in the country-side. You don't have a lot of open straights; instead, you got some tasty twisties!

Originally Posted by ZuffenHouseRules
..............since the 718 Cayman S is already faster than the GT4 ........................ 718 has the edge there. GT4 has the edge on track but then it's a track-oriented special with more hp. Even so the 718 would be filling its mirrors on the short tracks at Hockenheim and Magny-Cours.

................ I'd love watching it on track against next-gen N/A flat-6 Spyder/GT4. Now that would be interesting....
I understand your views. You must be a track-rat! You should be able to tune a 982 GTS and potentially make it outperform a 982 Spyder/GT4 (though we don't know what the specs are gonna be at this time). A turbo will surely have gobs of low-end torque over a NA; and, depending on the track, could make a difference. It is something a 982 GT4 driver has to deal with; us Spyder softies just wanna enjoy the back roads!

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Bingo. My tuned 996 TT was a rocket, but didn't provide the sense of engagement and emotion I receive in spades from the Spyder.
Totally agree. Straight line, brutal acceleration is only a single variable; and, could get boring real fast. One of my bikes, ZX-14R, is a rocket. Can do quarter-mile in under 10 seconds, bone stock. But, gets me in all sorts of trouble real fast! And, compared to a superbike, not as much fun.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Zuffen, I doubt .............about Ring times or lap times. ...........
Roger that!

Originally Posted by Z356
.............THE best/most
capable Porsche I have ever owned & that I have
LEAST enjoyed driving in normal roads & in daily
driving activities! Granted, PDK did not help!!!

This is exactly my point. GT3's limits are super high for the streets. Unless you are tracking or find open straights somewhere, you really can't stretch it's legs. Even the Spyder's limits are high for the streets. GT3 only makes it worse. These days unmarked patrol cars everywhere! With open top and relatively low limits, we can extract some fun out of the Spyder.

Let's hope that 982 Spyder will focus on more driver involvement and be a true thoroughbred for the streets.

Last edited by spyderphile; 08-09-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!