Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 01:16 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Agree, almost 52 here. Just did a 12 hour trip with the buckets with no issues. With the 18 ways I would start having pain in a couple of hours and would adjust settings of the seat to no avail. No pain with the buckets.
A dealer asked my mom, who is approaching 80, how she felt about them. She said besides getting in and out, they're really comfortable.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:26 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 645 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I've got to make some alignment decisions by Tuesday of next week. it would be great to hear your thoughts about the MR setup after your trackday.
I was lucky enough to have my dealer receive the MR kit. Once you receive the kit you can access the setup numbers through Porsches system. We just duplicated the numbers and lowered the car 7mm in the rear and 5mm in the front. Kept some rake. I haven't been on track yet but the car is definitely better. The lowering calmed the back down for sure. But lowering always feels good. More stable. If anyone want's the GEO I can share it. Best $475 you can spend.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:39 PM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
I was lucky enough to have my dealer receive the MR kit. Once you receive the kit you can access the setup numbers through Porsches system. We just duplicated the numbers and lowered the car 7mm in the rear and 5mm in the front. Kept some rake. I haven't been on track yet but the car is definitely better. The lowering calmed the back down for sure. But lowering always feels good. More stable. If anyone want's the GEO I can share it. Best $475 you can spend.
That is fantastic. Great for you! Can you PM me the geo and drop ? Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2024, 01:52 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by jabwind51
That is fantastic. Great for you! Can you PM me the geo and drop ? Thanks!!
Me too if you don't mind.
Old 07-05-2024, 02:08 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,871 Likes on 782 Posts

Can you PM me the geo and drop ? Thanks!!
Same here please
Old 07-05-2024, 02:49 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 262 Posts

if everyone is asking for the details… please post it publicly, save the hassle. Many thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 02:56 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 645 Likes on 302 Posts

Here you go Fellas. We lowered the car 7mm in the rear and 5mm in the front. More than MR recommends. He suggested keeping some rake. The cars ride height looks perfect. The rest of the GEO is trying to duplicate MR's number from the stock settings. If any of you want to comment please do. I'm not necessarily a GEO guru. My mechanic does work on a Cup Car team in the summer so I trusted him. Happy Friday!

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 07-06-2024 at 10:50 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
BlazinPond (07-05-2024), cooler2442 (07-05-2024), marinb (07-05-2024), mrd_spy (07-05-2024), RDCR (07-05-2024), TDT (07-05-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-05-2024, 02:57 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 262 Posts

Here you go Fellas. We lowered the car 7mm in the rear and 5mm in the front. More than MR recommends. The rest of the GEO is trying to duplicate MR's number from the stock settings. If any of you want to comment please do. I'm not necessarily a GEO guru. My mechanic does work on a Cup Car team in the summer so I trusted him.
Nice one.
Mr. Adair (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 03:11 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My interest in the 4RS is similar. It's the best Cayman that Porsche is willing to make for the track, and it's different from any 911, so it adds variety. I don't need it be better or worse than a 911, just different enough that it makes sense to have it.

People in this thread may feel that I'm ragging on the 4RS, but I'm not. I think it's an excellent car and worth the MSRP price. If it was my only sports car, I'd drive it and be happy. I just take issue with the car being overhyped as though someone would be crazy or incompetent if they don't think it's the best thing ever. I see more defensiveness among 4RS owners than I do among owners of the 911 variants.
To be fair, it's the SECOND best Cayman for the track.....They also make a GT4RS CS 😉

It's the best street Cayman however.

EXFIB (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 04:12 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by josephr25
A dealer asked my mom, who is approaching 80, how she felt about them. She said besides getting in and out, they're really comfortable.
that’s nice.

however, many drivers over 50 don’t tolerate LWB, and a majority of drivers over 70 don’t tolerate sitting in LWB.

Nice if someone is the exception to the rule, but a high percentage of middle aged and older patients don’t tolerate LWB to drive over 1-2 hours.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drifting:
Avera (07-05-2024), mrd_spy (07-07-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 05:11 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
To be fair, it's the SECOND best Cayman for the track.....They also make a GT4RS CS 😉

It's the best street Cayman however.
how can you say this with a straight face with the mess this car is at the back ?
I never drive mine and always take the GTS. Prob the worse Cayman made in history out the box for street use.
cayman R was the best imo.

I guess looking at the high end cars you have owned you maybe skipped out the Cayman R. ;-)
Old 07-05-2024, 06:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Today, I drove the 570, then the 4RS. I thought the 570 was fantastic, and I expected the 4RS to be a bit of a letdown.

But it wasn't. To my pleasant surprise, I enjoyed the 4RS today more than ever before. I think I was in the mood for an over the top car that wants to be driven with some aggression, and the 4RS was a good fit for that mood.

The way the front of the car loads up and holds really does remind me somewhat of the 992 GT3. Maybe this car would be a keeper even as a road-only car?

Almost finished break in, and will try to get it on track soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by Manifold:
ChrisF (07-05-2024), Mike981S (07-06-2024), sbsurfer (07-06-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:13 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Today, I drove the 570, then the 4RS. I thought the 570 was fantastic, and I expected the 4RS to be a bit of a letdown.

But it wasn't. To my pleasant surprise, I enjoyed the 4RS today more than ever before. I think I was in the mood for an over the top car that wants to be driven with some aggression, and the 4RS was a good fit for that mood.

The way the front of the car loads up and holds really does remind me somewhat of the 992 GT3. Maybe this car would be a keeper even as a road-only car?

Almost finished break in, and will try to get it on track soon.
I'm seeing some similarities to the evolution of my ownership experience over time. I bought the car without ever driving one although I had owned a 981 GT4 and had a lot of miles on the 718 GT4. I'd felt the pogo rear end of the 718 so it was not without a level of understanding of a key shortcoming. I too have not tracked the car but have a ton of street miles over everything from commuting to very aggressive canyon driving.

I think I posted my initial reactions that the car was a bit too loud and that the rear end while occasionally unsettled was not a deal breaker. I liked a lot about the car (the engine, pdk, sharpness of the suspension) but the short gearing and loudness were the things that made me believe I could not enjoy the 4RS in a manner consistent with how I've used my other GT cars (mix of street, track and long road trips). It took me doing a 250 mi road trip through the mountains to really bond with the car. On that trip i finally realized that you could enjoy the car without redlining every gear. That allowed management of volume. The short gearing too started to be less of an issue. I started really bonding with how quickly the car recovered over most bumps and how sharp the front end is. I assume it will only get better when it gets a proper alignment before track.

Time seems to teach me where and when this car really shines and those are the drives where I choose it. While I don't quite have as diverse a stable, i have two very solid choices, each with different personalities. For many use cases, this car is absolutely fabulous.

PS: screw the peanut gallery. i enjoy your posts on your evolving driving impressions. If you don't like them, use the ignore button
The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisF:
Manifold (07-05-2024), sbsurfer (07-06-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:25 PM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I'm seeing some similarities to the evolution of my ownership experience over time. I bought the car without ever driving one although I had owned a 981 GT4 and had a lot of miles on the 718 GT4. I'd felt the pogo rear end of the 718 so it was not without a level of understanding of a key shortcoming. I too have not tracked the car but have a ton of street miles over everything from commuting to very aggressive canyon driving.

I think I posted my initial reactions that the car was a bit too loud and that the rear end while occasionally unsettled was not a deal breaker. I liked a lot about the car (the engine, pdk, sharpness of the suspension) but the short gearing and loudness were the things that made me believe I could not enjoy the 4RS in a manner consistent with how I've used my other GT cars (mix of street, track and long road trips). It took me doing a 250 mi road trip through the mountains to really bond with the car. On that trip i finally realized that you could enjoy the car without redlining every gear. That allowed management of volume. The short gearing too started to be less of an issue. I started really bonding with how quickly the car recovered over most bumps and how sharp the front end is. I assume it will only get better when it gets a proper alignment before track.

Time seems to teach me where and when this car really shines and those are the drives where I choose it. While I don't quite have as diverse a stable, i have two very solid choices, each with different personalities. For many use cases, this car is absolutely fabulous.

PS: screw the peanut gallery. i enjoy your posts on your evolving driving impressions. If you don't like them, use the ignore button

You beat me to it. I was gonna say the same thing that I enjoy his posts and they are great to read. These are what forums are about. I’m just thankful we have like-minded people still keeping Rennlist afloat…

Has anyone changed out their brake fluid to Endless RF? I have done that on my street/track GT cars to great affect but not on my previous 4RS. I had steels on the last one and PCCBs on the one I should be getting in the next week or so. I did notice brake fade but not sure if it was the fluid or the steel pads. Just wondering for those who also track if it’s worth just doing it at the same time it’s getting an alignment. Thanks for any advice!
Manifold (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

You beat me to it. I was gonna say the same thing that I enjoy his posts and they are great to read. These are what forums are about. I’m just thankful we have like-minded people still keeping Rennlist afloat…

Has anyone changed out their brake fluid to Endless RF? I have done that on my street/track GT cars to great affect but not on my previous 4RS. I had steels on the last one and PCCBs on the one I should be getting in the next week or so. I did notice brake fade but not sure if it was the fluid or the steel pads. Just wondering for those who also track if it’s worth just doing it at the same time it’s getting an alignment. Thanks for any advice!
I've always used Castrol SRF in my tracked cars, and I even use in some road-only cars that are sometimes driven hard enough to get a lot of heat into the brake system.

I've never experienced brake 'fade' on the track, but have sometimes experienced a softening brake pedal if air wasn't properly removed from the brake system when bleeding or flushing, or before I was using SRF.

I noticed that a lot of hot air blows onto the rear wheels with this car, at least when it's parked after a hard drive. Not sure if that happens when the car is moving, and if so, how much that heats up the rear tires and brakes. I feel like the rear pressures increase more than the front pressures every time I drive the car.
EXFIB (07-06-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions