Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Call me crazy. But I think Porsche will continue on with the ICE GT4 and RS alongside a BEV 718 for at least another decade, even beyond/indefinitely if they can get the economics on the synthetic fuel. BEV's are DOA and everyone with a IQ above room temp understands how impractical large scale adoption/implementation is for a myriad of technical and economical reasons.
Problem is that there is no new platform on the horizon for the Cayman/Boxster with normal engines.

The current one is shared with the 991 and there isn't a new one based off the 992. Their incoming platform is electric based.

If they continue to build more GT4RSs, it will still be on the same platform and same car, not another new version of GT4RS.

This is very different than they do a GT3, have a mid cycle facelift then another version of GT3, rinse and repeat. Pretty much same for GT3RS also.

Like I said, there was never one before, there will never be another one after, this is the one and only GT4RS. A unicorn so to speak, which is what's ticking those GT3 people off. There car isn't a unicorn, ours is.

But I mean having a GT3 isn't bad, like, if one doesn't live and sleep on the track 24/7 365, a GT3 is a far better car to live with than a GT3RS.

The following 3 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
jabwind51 (04-11-2024), Mike981S (04-12-2024), Mr. Adair (04-11-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:49 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,358 Likes on 2,198 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Problem is that there is no new platform on the horizon for the Cayman/Boxster with normal engines.

The current one is shared with the 991 and there isn't a new one based off the 992. Their incoming platform is electric based.

If they continue to build more GT4RSs, it will still be on the same platform and same car, not another new version of GT4RS.

This is very different than they do a GT3, have a mid cycle facelift then another version of GT3, rinse and repeat. Pretty much same for GT3RS also.

Like I said, there was never one before, there will never be another one after, this is the one and only GT4RS. A unicorn so to speak, which is what's ticking those GT3 people off. There car isn't a unicorn, ours is.

But I mean having a GT3 isn't bad, like, if one doesn't live and sleep on the track 24/7 365, a GT3 is a far better car to live with than a GT3RS.
If the EV Boxster / Cayman is priced where I think it might be (well above the Macan ev's) there will be no entry level sports car regardless of engine choice. If the demand for the EV's slows (or continues to slow?) then Porsche has a bit of a hole in their lineup. They could, I suppose, refresh the 982 as a .2 and make it for another 4 years to fill the void, if there is one. Know what I mean?
Old 04-10-2024, 03:56 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

You did basically the same as me. I had a 992 GT3, and while I like the car, I don't love it, primary reason being it is a giant whale of a car. It doesn't matter how nice the front end is, it's still basically driving a very agile whale.

Like someone mentioned, this is the 7th generation of the GT3, with the 8th coming very soon. But there will only ever be 1 generation of GT4RS.

I also had a 458 Speciale, and the comparison is that the GT4RS is more raw than the Speciale. That one is a gentleman racer in a tuxedo suit, the GT4RS is more like one of those Red Bull extreme motorsport racer. The Speciale engine is a gem, but it's all about the exhaust note, but it loses to the even better 918 V8, THAT exhaust note is literally unbeatable. The GT4RS howl in a different way, the intake roar, before being processed by the engine, can't get any more raw than that.

I do runs up and down the Sea to Sky highway here with all my cars, the Speciale was very enjoyable, the Ferrari computer sort it out very nicely even if I get it a bit wrong, like, night time 5 degrees and raining wrong. Do I have the same trust with the GT4RS? Honestly no. Even when I kept a GT4CS as a track car that I ran a lot and I know how Cayman handles. The GT4RS can and will bite. Which makes it the most raw car Porsche made since, well, forever. It rewards capable drivers. Unlike 911s, the car doesn't need crazy trail braking, it mostly is about brake, turn in, hold the throttle and dance with it then exit, the car WANTS to rotate, so the job is to keep it from over rotating. Porsche tuned the suspension very well, lots of feedback, but skill is still needed.

Ferrari dialled back the rotation in the Speciale, it's more or less neutral or understeer that way, Ferrari knows their clients, and their skill limitations, if Ferrari didn't do that, half their clients will be all dead. Well, half of those that actually drive the car.

Now onto the 992 GT3. Well. Hmm. The car is way too big to have fun in the twisties even with a great turn in. a corner is much more than just the turn in. It's also about precisely placing the car where you want after. I simply can't have the confidence to place the passenger front where I want it to be. It feels completely foreign to me. That front passenger corner is literally in the next zip code. And the passenger rear fender is another 2 zip codes over. I am just not enjoy driving it. After I got mine, I went over to Europe to do a Porsche driving event in the Alps, Dolomites. In a 992 turbo S. Man that was a struggle. I drove those same roads every year before in a 991 turbo S and I am just not enjoying my time in a 992. it is WAY TOO BIG. Case in point, for my Porsche trip, a couple clients banged up the passenger rear fender on the side of the road against a wall and another with a road marker. I sold my 992 GT3 not long after I got back.

While I did took delivery of my 992 GT3RS a while ago, I find the 3RS even more comical to drive on the street. Very likely it won't stay for long. Even when it is the best riding 911 ever. (the adjustable shocks do wonders). Outside of a track, the 3RS isn't happy. The whale size plus the wing means I really can't go everywhere with it.

The Dakar, which I just did European delivery with, is the only 992 that make sense for the body size. The Dakar is not about precision but about fun so the body size is not a hinderance. I can't wait for it to get back.
I agree mostly. However, re sightlines and placeability, all super/hypercars are super-wide and a long ways to the rear (due to mid-engine). Which is the main reason I don't really enjoy driving them on a casual basis. Hyper-wide, can't see the back, and hyper-expensive.

I agree the 992 looks and feels enormous. But is it mostly an illusion from the interior volume (backseats) as opposed to actual dimensions? The unrelieved convex sides do not help with the visuals either.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 04:25 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

The platform could be modular, like what GM does with the C8.

Hopefully what ever they do, they ditch the strut rear-end and put in a multi-link
Old 04-10-2024, 04:29 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

Ah, there you go again with the 'inferior' suspension..............

Wonder who will go faster, me in my 'inferior' GT4RS suspension or you in your Corvette🤔

Is there somewhere where the GT4RS is slower than a Corvette?

I don't have a Corvette now, and my opinion is just that. Me mentioning the suspension was a small insert in my post. However good a driver you are ( I really don't care), ANY Cayman model is better with a true motorsport suspension on it.

I really don't see the purpose of your rely to my post.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:44 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jabwind51
I just drove a 992 GT3 and gotta say the front end is quite nice! WOW. Small part of me thought to trade the 4RS..but I was curious if there were other recent thoughts on the comparison from those who have owned both or gone back and forth? Also part of me felt that the 4RS is much more rare and it would be silly to trade since my local dealer had several GT3s on the lot. Zero 4RS.

Thanks for insight.
I own both and both are keepers, the GT4RS (believe it or not) WAY easier to daily.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:26 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I don't have a Corvette now, and my opinion is just that. Me mentioning the suspension was a small insert in my post. However good a driver you are ( I really don't care), ANY Cayman model is better with a true motorsport suspension on it.

I really don't see the purpose of your rely to my post.
Haha.
Likely because the last 1000 of your 2800 posts state the same nonsense. You're a broken record.

Beyond that, your biggest issue is you have zero credibility. You admit you don't track but yet come off as a suspension expert.
Honest question, do your on-ramps and public roads really give you any credibility on GT car suspension? I'll wait...

You admit you've never owned a 911 or 4RS. How can you make any comparison and bring any sort of credibility?
Yet, you manage to comment on threads both here and on the GT3 forum frequently.
At first i thought your trolling... but after 1000+ posts, your rather persistent and may lack some awareness.
The following 4 users liked this post by BlazinPond:
Ksdaoski (04-10-2024), lilbza (04-10-2024), Mr. Adair (04-11-2024), phoenx_10 (04-13-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 10:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

I heard that my dealer had a couple customers who ordered a 4RS (presumably MSRP) and didn't like them (largely because of the sound level), so they returned them to the dealer (presumably also at MSRP). Not a car for everyone.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:21 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I heard that my dealer had a couple customers who ordered a 4RS (presumably MSRP) and didn't like them (largely because of the sound level), so they returned them to the dealer (presumably also at MSRP). Not a car for everyone.
The sound is one of the things I love about my 4RS......
EXFIB (04-18-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 02:56 AM
GT4RSYMPHONY
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
The sound is one of the things I love about my 4RS......
the madness of the sound is what will make this car sought after forever in a silent EV future. Everyone will want to be strapped to an engine that revs to 9000 rpm with an airbox driver helmet.
The following 2 users liked this post by GT4RSYMPHONY:
Airbag997 (04-11-2024), Mike981S (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 08:53 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,740 Likes on 877 Posts

I just drove the GT4rs 30mins on the freeway, and the noise is such a non issue.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
jabwind51 (04-11-2024), Mike981S (04-12-2024), RDCR (04-11-2024), RUF RS (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 09:09 AM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
I just drove the GT4rs 30mins on the freeway, and the noise is such a non issue.
I swing a mallet for a living so maybe my hearing isn’t the best but agree lol
rwm (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 09:16 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Agreed. I drove my buddies home from C&C, 45 mins of mostly highway and the loudness is overblown IMO. Even cracking it on to 9k isn't unbearable. Maybe racing liter bikes for the past 15 years helped...So is the ride quality complaints, it's very compliant, at least in the Phoenix metro area with decent roads. Really not much different from my Spyder in ride quality.
The following 2 users liked this post by Airbag997:
Ksdaoski (04-11-2024), Mike981S (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 10:06 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Agreed. I drove my buddies home from C&C, 45 mins of mostly highway and the loudness is overblown IMO. Even cracking it on to 9k isn't unbearable. Maybe racing liter bikes for the past 15 years helped...So is the ride quality complaints, it's very compliant, at least in the Phoenix metro area with decent roads. Really not much different from my Spyder in ride quality.
I drove my friend’s 4RS a couple times before deciding to buy one. I too didn’t find the car to be too loud, and I found the ride quality to be pretty good.
The following 4 users liked this post by Manifold:
Airbag997 (04-11-2024), Ksdaoski (04-11-2024), Mike981S (04-12-2024), prof.nano (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 12:29 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 645 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Haha.
Likely because the last 1000 of your 2800 posts state the same nonsense. You're a broken record.

Beyond that, your biggest issue is you have zero credibility. You admit you don't track but yet come off as a suspension expert.
Honest question, do your on-ramps and public roads really give you any credibility on GT car suspension? I'll wait...

You admit you've never owned a 911 or 4RS. How can you make any comparison and bring any sort of credibility?
Yet, you manage to comment on threads both here and on the GT3 forum frequently.
At first i thought your trolling... but after 1000+ posts, your rather persistent and may lack some awareness.
There are two of them on this forum. We know who they are. The least amount of experience and biggest blow horn..
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
BlazinPond (04-11-2024), Ksdaoski (04-11-2024), phoenx_10 (04-13-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions