Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 10:34 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
Porsche built a little Ferrari of their own- an emotional, temperamental dance partner with beautiful sharp edges. I'm very pleased to have it instead of the 992 GT2, and it fits into my garage so much better.
This. I'm very excited to own my personal "Ferrari" but with Porsche reliability and access to service.

I have spoken with several Ferrari enthusiasts who feel the Spyder RS will be more enjoyable than a 458 Spider, for those who drive their cars somewhere besides Cars and Coffee.

I expect to enjoy the SRS more than my old 458.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-04-2024 at 11:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drifting:
Mike981S (04-05-2024), Visceral (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 10:52 PM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 65 Posts

Just traded in a 992 GT3 for my freshly delivered GT4RS. I'm exceedingly happy.

A word about my use-case. I have a fast Taycan, a fast Cayenne, an SLS, and a GR86. The GT3 didn't fit in well. For getting somewhere on the street quickly, the SLS, Taycan, and even Cayenne were equally effective but more quiet without the tire noise, assuming I didn't want to go to jail for my driving.
For back-road fun, the GR86 is hard to beat. It's a stick, it's slow enough to really need you to flog it, and it is comparatively disposable. The GT3 was too big, too fast, and too quiet, although I never found it as stiff as the media said it was.
Enter the GT4RS.

I'm really surprised by two things- How much of a hooligan this car is- others have said 458 Speciale, but it bears repeating along with the 430 Scud comparison. The engine behind you is very much living and breathing. The GT3 cabin was oddly insulated from the engine, though the clacks and clunks of the throw-out bearing were kind of fun.
Secondly, even though I had a Spyder before the GT3, the GT4 is far more stable mid-corner. The more cornering G's, the more it settles into its suspension. The suspension punishes me on bad roads more-so than I recall the GT3 did, but this mid-corner stability is worth the tradeoff. It's glorious.

Porsche built a little Ferrari of their own- an emotional, temperamental dance partner with beautiful sharp edges. I'm very pleased to have it instead of the 992 GT2, and it fits into my garage so much better.

I look forward to the requisite adjustments, a couple motorsports bits, and then a long schedule of track days. As others have said, unless you have a fragile ego, a really good track car is more fun than a really fast track car. I don't care if the GT3 was a second faster, or if it isn't. I'll be having just as much fun.
Incredible synopsis. If you know, you know. 911s have their role for sure but nothing is like the 4RS..

The induction noise at low speeds.. and the howl when you get on it.

👌🏻
The following users liked this post:
Visceral (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 11:30 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
This. I'm very excited to own my personal "Ferrari" but with Porsche reliability and access to service.

I have spoken with several Ferrari enthusiasts who feel the Spyder RS will be enjoyable than a 458 Spider, for those who drive their cars somewhere besides Cars and Coffee.

I expect to enjoy the SRS more than my old 458.
I have a 458 and a 4RS, completely different cars that have a very different feel/soul. 458's engine is superior to the 4RS but the 4RS has superior steering feel, suspension, and build quality. I enjoy the 4RS more in the canyons but enjoy the 458's drama/aura/character more driving to the canyons or a gentleman canyon drive. I split time about 60% 4RS, 40% 458. 4RS doesn't feel anything like the 458 and neither does the 458 feel like the 4RS at all, completely different philosophy's designed them from the ground up and you can tell. So anyone saying the SRS/4RS is a "mini" Ferrari has not owned a Ferrari since I'd never make that comparison.
Mike981S (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 11:46 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
I have a 458 and a 4RS, completely different cars that have a very different feel/soul. 458's engine is superior to the 4RS but the 4RS has superior steering feel, suspension, and build quality. I enjoy the 4RS more in the canyons but enjoy the 458's drama/aura/character more driving to the canyons or a gentleman canyon drive. I split time about 60% 4RS, 40% 458. 4RS doesn't feel anything like the 458 and neither does the 458 feel like the 4RS at all, completely different philosophy's designed them from the ground up and you can tell. So anyone saying the SRS/4RS is a "mini" Ferrari has not owned a Ferrari since I'd never make that comparison.
Agree 100%. Not remotely similar. In fact, I'd say diametrical opposites.
ScratchTheItch (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
no offense but Ferrari owners always like to look down their nose and say they “have never owned a Ferrari”. I have a good friend who has an impressive collection of Ferraris and is extremely excited about his incoming SRS, even over his 458 spider. Maybe he will think differently on his car arrives.

and you have not yet driven a Spyder RS so you can’t drawn any conclusions either. There is much similar between 4RS and SRS, but plenty that is not.

and my post clearly stated Spyder RS over 458 Spider. I said nothing about the 4RS.

My 458 was a coupe but other than being open to nature I was much less impressed with the drive
( weight, cowl shake, loose feel, of a 458 spider vs a coupe.

Porsche designed the 718 as a convertible first, not a coupe. And it shows in the handling of their cars.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-05-2024 at 12:39 AM.
Mike981S (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:58 AM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
no offense but Ferrari owners always like to look down their nose and say they “have never owned a Ferrari”. I have a good friend who has an impressive collection of Ferraris and is extremely excited about his incoming SRS, even over his 458 spider. Maybe he will think differently on his car arrives.

and you have not yet driven a Spyder RS so you can’t drawn any conclusions either. There is much similar between 4RS and SRS, but plenty that is not.

and my post clearly stated Spyder RS over 458 Spider. I said nothing about the 4RS.

My 458 was a coupe but other than being open to nature I was much less impressed with the drive
( weight, cowl shake, loose feel, of a 458 spider vs a coupe.

Porsche designed the 718 as a convertible first, not a coupe. And it shows in the handling of their cars.
Comparing a 458 coupe vs is a 4RS is very similar to comparing a 458 Spider vs a Spyder RS. Neither is a "mini" Ferrari in terms of any kind of feel(not in a good or bad way just completely different as I described above). You will see once you drive one and compare to your old 458.

Also I owned both a Spyder and GT4, when driving them back to back you can feel how much more "composed" the GT4 felt in the corners compared to the Spyder in terms of feel which I assume was attributed to some kind of flex or open top nature of the Spyder being a convertible which made it not feel as planted in the corners. So if you think an SRS will feel or handle more race car like in the corners than a coupe 4RS then you're in for a rude awakening based on my direct experience of owning both the coupe and convertible at the same time similar to how I own both a 458 and 4RS at the same time currently and provide first hand feedback of the two.
ScratchTheItch (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 02:19 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Just traded in a 992 GT3 for my freshly delivered GT4RS. I'm exceedingly happy.

A word about my use-case. I have a fast Taycan, a fast Cayenne, an SLS, and a GR86. The GT3 didn't fit in well. For getting somewhere on the street quickly, the SLS, Taycan, and even Cayenne were equally effective but more quiet without the tire noise, assuming I didn't want to go to jail for my driving.
For back-road fun, the GR86 is hard to beat. It's a stick, it's slow enough to really need you to flog it, and it is comparatively disposable. The GT3 was too big, too fast, and too quiet, although I never found it as stiff as the media said it was.
Enter the GT4RS.

I'm really surprised by two things- How much of a hooligan this car is- others have said 458 Speciale, but it bears repeating along with the 430 Scud comparison. The engine behind you is very much living and breathing. The GT3 cabin was oddly insulated from the engine, though the clacks and clunks of the throw-out bearing were kind of fun.
Secondly, even though I had a Spyder before the GT3, the GT4 is far more stable mid-corner. The more cornering G's, the more it settles into its suspension. The suspension punishes me on bad roads more-so than I recall the GT3 did, but this mid-corner stability is worth the tradeoff. It's glorious.

I look forward to the requisite adjustments, a couple motorsports bits, and then a long schedule of track days. As others have said, unless you have a fragile ego, a really good track car is more fun than a really fast track car. I don't care if the GT3 was a second faster, or if it isn't. I'll be having just as much fun.
I LOVE the mid-engine handling characteristics. Sure when it lets go, it does so much quickly than a front engine ( I have no experience with a rear-engine) but if you leave all systems go, it will keep you safe.

The cornering speeds you can carry in a mid-engine platform is very additive. It's even better after you add a motorsport suspension to it. I can carry speed in corners that I have never seen before and with zero drama. The limiting factor are the grip of the tires. I have seen 1.49 lateral G's on mine with a -2.5F -2.1R camber alignment on my local on/off ramps.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:14 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I LOVE the mid-engine handling characteristics. Sure when it lets go, it does so much quickly than a front engine ( I have no experience with a rear-engine) but if you leave all systems go, it will keep you safe.

The cornering speeds you can carry in a mid-engine platform is very additive. It's even better after you add a motorsport suspension to it. I can carry speed in corners that I have never seen before and with zero drama. The limiting factor are the grip of the tires. I have seen 1.49 lateral G's on mine with a -2.5F -2.1R camber alignment on my local on/off ramps.
My McLaren, which is mid engine, lets go so progressively that it doesn’t even feel like it lets go, it just moves around intuitively as the driver wishes. This is the case even in winter and on wet roads, at least with PS 4S tires. This inspires a lot of confidence and makes the car so much fun.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:51 AM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
My McLaren, which is mid engine, lets go so progressively that it doesn’t even feel like it lets go, it just moves around intuitively as the driver wishes. This is the case even in winter and on wet roads, at least with PS 4S tires. This inspires a lot of confidence and makes the car so much fun.
I would say that on the track I was able to feel my old GT3 slip the rear end a little faster than my previous GT4. Felt like it let go without me realizing and we spun. With the GT3 I had an extra second to adjust. Must be the mid engine “confidence”??
Old 04-09-2024, 05:49 AM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

I just drove a 992 GT3 and gotta say the front end is quite nice! WOW. Small part of me thought to trade the 4RS..but I was curious if there were other recent thoughts on the comparison from those who have owned both or gone back and forth? Also part of me felt that the 4RS is much more rare and it would be silly to trade since my local dealer had several GT3s on the lot. Zero 4RS.

Thanks for insight.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:07 AM
lilbza
Pro

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by jabwind51
I just drove a 992 GT3 and gotta say the front end is quite nice! WOW. Small part of me thought to trade the 4RS..but I was curious if there were other recent thoughts on the comparison from those who have owned both or gone back and forth? Also part of me felt that the 4RS is much more rare and it would be silly to trade since my local dealer had several GT3s on the lot. Zero 4RS.

Thanks for insight.
How many iterations of the GT3 have there been now...6? How many more to come, who knows. I'd keep the GT4RS, there's nothing else like it, and likely won't be again.
jabwind51 (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 06:29 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts

Drove both prior to purchase. 4RS more fun..
The following 2 users liked this post by MannyLon:
EXFIB (04-17-2024), jabwind51 (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 09:14 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by jabwind51

Thanks for insight.
Front end of the GT3 is great, but that’s the only thing that sets the GT3 apart. Keep the 4RS.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:16 AM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Front end of the GT3 is great, but that’s the only thing that sets the GT3 apart. Keep the 4RS.
Thanks for the advice. Trying to see if my local dealer will take my 993 C2S and Cali T so I can wind up with both LOL
Old 04-09-2024, 09:49 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
How many iterations of the GT3 have there been now...6? How many more to come, who knows. I'd keep the GT4RS, there's nothing else like it, and likely won't be again.
This

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions