Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
Actually, it's the opposite. Carbon or not, the upper intake design was available for SRO GT4 racing in the beginning of 2020 (likely in development in 2019) and fitted to the GT4 Clubsport to provide the functional benefit of cooler air into the engine. This was an actual Porsche motorsport part. I have no doubt that one of the things Porsche had to solve when putting the GT3 engine into the Cayman was thermal management for the higher output engine. The upper intake solution that already existed for motorsport was a natural solution for them to turn production-ready. The acoustic/aural side benefits turned out to be a nice bi-product, and something I'm sure they were excited to feature in marketing.

Whether Porsche Motorsport was inspired by Singer's DLS that appeared in 2019, I couldn't say. But there's no question that the development of the upper intakes was function-first, specifically for racing.

Note that the cart below is not an RS, but the GT4 Clubsport Nolasport ran in 2020.

Adding upper intake at qtr windows, yes. But the exposed duct and airbox is imo a "gimmick." Interesting, but nonetheless a gimmick, imo.

On the street, an occasional deep throttle dive to 9K (after making sure no cops around) maybe exhilarating. That sound if sustained driving at >7000 is too much, imo. Becomes painful and exhausting, rather than pleasurable.

Otoh, guess that's true of most truly pleasurable things in life: gotta take 'em in small doses!!
Old 04-16-2024, 07:04 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,740 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by alcc
Adding upper intake at qtr windows, yes. But the exposed duct and airbox is imo a "gimmick." Interesting, but nonetheless a gimmick, imo.

On the street, an occasional deep throttle dive to 9K (after making sure no cops around) maybe exhilarating. That sound if sustained driving at >7000 is too much, imo. Becomes painful and exhausting, rather than pleasurable.

Otoh, guess that's true of most truly pleasurable things in life: gotta take 'em in small doses!!
That's just like, your opinion man.

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 04-16-2024 at 07:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Airbag997 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 11:51 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 694 Posts

the exposed duct and airbox is imo a "gimmick." Interesting, but nonetheless a gimmick, imo.
I would love to see the aero effect and the ram effect differences of the two. And there are differences.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:56 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
and a good one expressed by many here....
Old 04-17-2024, 09:26 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
and a good one expressed by many here....
....by envious non-owners such as yourself? haha

Last edited by BlazinPond; 04-17-2024 at 09:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlazinPond:
Odin (04-21-2024), spikej (04-21-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 09:32 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Porsche is allowed to do things which make the car exciting, without adding to performance. It’s a track car which can be driven on the street, not a race car.

They made the 4RS rather extreme because it’s the last ICE Cayman. It’s not a car for everyone, but for those who appreciate the extremeness, it’s a highly desirable car. No need for non-owners to cast aspersions, and no need for owners to be defensive.
The following 4 users liked this post by Manifold:
Eric5280 (04-17-2024), Mike981S (04-17-2024), rwm (04-18-2024), SB27 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:11 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
Actually, it's the opposite. Carbon or not, the upper intake design was available for SRO GT4 racing in the beginning of 2020 (likely in development in 2019) and fitted to the GT4 Clubsport to provide the functional benefit of cooler air into the engine. This was an actual Porsche motorsport part. I have no doubt that one of the things Porsche had to solve when putting the GT3 engine into the Cayman was thermal management for the higher output engine. The upper intake solution that already existed for motorsport was a natural solution for them to turn production-ready. The acoustic/aural side benefits turned out to be a nice bi-product, and something I'm sure they were excited to feature in marketing.

Whether Porsche Motorsport was inspired by Singer's DLS that appeared in 2019, I couldn't say. But there's no question that the development of the upper intakes was function-first, specifically for racing.

Note that the car below is not an RS, but the GT4 Clubsport Nolasport ran in 2020.
I first saw the prototype of the GT4RS May 2018 at Weissach. That thing’s been running for a while also. One of Singer’s investor was with me during that trip. So the DLS intake definitely came after Porsche.

The prototype intake mostly looked like the Clubsport version, but much more crude and rudimentary, It literally was just 2 pieces of plastic tubing from the side window then make a U turn in the trunk to line back up with the throttle body, which was facing the trunk.

The side intake was a road car thing, headed off to Motorsport side for debugging and development then back to the road car. The GT3 engine breaths more air and the side intake is one elegant way to feed more air into the engine. The refined and polished look of the production carbon intake manifold is well, much better looking than those plastic bits during development.

Also, the car was meant to be driven spiritedly, so the intake roar will be a crescendo of sound. It doesn’t stay at one sound or one sound level. For those that deemed the car too loud inside, you are using the car wrong, of course the intake roar is going to be loud if you drive at a constant 7000rpm on the freeway.
The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
BlazinPond (04-18-2024), Mike981S (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:51 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,001 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I first saw the prototype of the GT4RS May 2018 at Weissach. That thing’s been running for a while also. One of Singer’s investor was with me during that trip. So the DLS intake definitely came after Porsche.

The prototype intake mostly looked like the Clubsport version, but much more crude and rudimentary, It literally was just 2 pieces of plastic tubing from the side window then make a U turn in the trunk to line back up with the throttle body, which was facing the trunk.

The side intake was a road car thing, headed off to Motorsport side for debugging and development then back to the road car. The GT3 engine breaths more air and the side intake is one elegant way to feed more air into the engine. The refined and polished look of the production carbon intake manifold is well, much better looking than those plastic bits during development.

Also, the car was meant to be driven spiritedly, so the intake roar will be a crescendo of sound. It doesn’t stay at one sound or one sound level. For those that deemed the car too loud inside, you are using the car wrong, of course the intake roar is going to be loud if you drive at a constant 7000rpm on the freeway.
Very cool! The SRO approved version was pretty crude in itself as well—regarding the intake routing and airbox. They wouldn’t be too concerned about cosmetics for the race car as long as it worked.

I’d imagine it was pretty exciting to see the proto that early. Was it a 981 GT4 in look overall?

Mike981S (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 01:06 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
and a good one expressed by many non owners here ...
fixed that for you. FFS the cars only 76db at 70 mph, peak power is 8400, you see 9k for laughs that's all , or to hold a gear on some rare corners on some tracks. No one sits between 8 and 9k revs ffs.

The noise thing on you tube is over done, the car sounds ***** mega. I find my car very quite upto 100 mph part throttle, 85mph on the motorway is no more noisy than a 718 Spyder, it might even be quiter.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 04-17-2024 at 01:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mrd_spy:
Odin (04-21-2024), rwm (04-18-2024), Taffy66 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 02:01 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

So, Singer "borrowed" the DLS intake from the GT4RS?

I am not knocking the 4RS. I do agree it is a special car. It has grown on me. That said, certain things about it are just... off.

In all the (modern) Ferraris I've driven, when you dip the throttle, once the rev happy engine hits ~4500 rpm the exhaust bypass valve opens and at that exact moment the car takes off. You feel that bump in torque (suspect just a matter of throttle mapping) at exactly the same instant you hear the bump in exhaust note. Yes, such non-linear power delivery can be a handful on track, but it is thrilling on the road. In the 4RS, your "crescendo of sound" is not matched by a crescendo of power delivery. Power delivery remains resolutely linear. Without the "crescendo", that's fine. I've driven other high-revving engines with that linear character. But, in the presence of that raw and wild crescendo of sound, the disconnect between sound and power delivery is disconcerting. And disappointing.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,940 Likes on 2,798 Posts

Singer DLS was released in 2018, so they would've had to act fast if they didn't at least develop it in parallel...
Old 04-17-2024, 02:15 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 220 Posts

I also don't find my 4RS too noisy for long trips. Its a hugely involving and exciting car to drive at all speeds. The 992GT3 is boring in comparison and also way too big for UK B roads. The noise only becomes very loud for a few seconds above 8k revs but how often are you there at legal road speeds !. On track where you spend more time at 8k revs the helmet does a pretty good job muffling it whatever. A real non issue IMO coming from an owner who has done 4k miles and six track days in it and many more planned.
The following 4 users liked this post by Taffy66:
Alan C. (04-17-2024), Drifting (04-17-2024), Mike981S (04-17-2024), mrd_spy (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

So, Singer "borrowed" the DLS intake from the GT4RS?

I am not knocking the 4RS. I do agree it is a special car. It has grown on me. That said, certain things about it are just... off.

In all the (modern) Ferraris I've driven, when you dip the throttle, once the rev happy engine hits ~4500 rpm the exhaust bypass valve opens and at that exact moment the car takes off. You feel that bump in torque (suspect just a matter of throttle mapping) at exactly the same instant you hear the bump in exhaust note. Yes, such non-linear power delivery can be a handful on track, but it is thrilling on the road. In the 4RS, your "crescendo of sound" is not matched by a crescendo of power delivery. Power delivery remains resolutely linear. Without the "crescendo", that's fine. I've driven other high-revving engines with that linear character. But, in the presence of that raw and wild crescendo of sound, the disconnect between sound and power delivery is disconcerting. And disappointing.
I agree with you somewhat on that one. For whatever reason, the 4RS lacks mid-range punch as compared to even the 992 GT3 and 991.2 3RS. But it's not a big problem, just keep the revs up if you want the car to feel fast.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:25 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski

Raising my White Russian to ya.
bk_911 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 03:30 PM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure what "punch" are we talking about when the dyno charts are almost identical: https://www.reddit.com/user/Fabspeed..._gt4/#lightbox

Also same gear ratios as the 992 GT3 and less total diameter wheels

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions