Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 09:31 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
With a few well placed mods, not so much, the 4RS has more than a chance. With 9.5 inch front wheels, much wider track all around, 265/305 tires, a 70 lbs diet to date, the correct geo, a Kline exhaust with about 20 more hp, better pads and rotors, and a couple hundred pounds more aero on the way, I can run down virtually any street car that shows up the track. Just watch Barry on Youtube with his "itstracktime" videos. He crushes or matches most all the other Porsches on track except for a few particular cars driven and prepared by the best down there. He is still working on setup and future mods too.
Love it. I've seen his videos. Is his car the car Pobst did the laps in?
Old 07-16-2024, 10:09 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,332 Likes on 2,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
The point I was trying to convey was not that I care what anyone does with their vehicles, including how much they spend on mods

Rather, hard to believe that anyone would buy a 200K Porsche GT car built for the track . . . and then want/need to spend another 25-100K on mods for the track

As to your latter point about badge buyers, yes, I realize most RS will never sniff a track . . . or see the light of day outside a weekend drive.

Avera
People I know who track Porsche GT cars generally spend less than $10k in mods, mainly just setup plus safety things like roll bar and harnesses. If someone is looking to spend a lot more than that, then I think maybe they bought the wrong car, and maybe should be tracking a race car (not street legal). An older BMW converted to a race car and running on slicks will harass the Porsche GT cars at a fraction of the cost. For me, the whole point of a Porsche GT car is supposed to be that it's good for both track and road right off the showroom floor with the street tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Avera (07-16-2024), Taffy66 (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 10:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I think these two videos (same driver) capture how great and how frustrating the 4RS can be, depending mainly on where the 4RS is driven and how it's driven. Go to 28:45 in the second video.

Old 07-16-2024, 11:24 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,657 Likes on 5,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
People I know who track Porsche GT cars generally spend less than $10k in mods, mainly just setup plus safety things like roll bar and harnesses. If someone is looking to spend a lot more than that, then I think maybe they bought the wrong car, and maybe should be tracking a race car (not street legal). An older BMW converted to a race car and running on slicks will harass the Porsche GT cars at a fraction of the cost. For me, the whole point of a Porsche GT car is supposed to be that it's good for both track and road right off the showroom floor with the street tires.
Define mods?

Just a set of wheels/tires and maybe brakes will easily run you over 10k.

That's not even including driving lessons, which I consider the most important "mod".
The following users liked this post:
mrd_spy (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 11:43 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,066 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Love it. I've seen his videos. Is his car the car Pobst did the laps in?
Yes. My rear bar is full soft and the front is full stiff with the 110 Nm front springs and 9.5 inch front wheels. It is a different car with those additions. It took me multiple adjustments to slowly get there one bolt whole at a time (four), but that is what it took to balance the car. I have zero doubt that Randy could have saved another second on his lap time if he could have leaned more on the rear end instead of having to counter steer to keep the car balanced.
Old 07-16-2024, 11:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Define mods?

Just a set of wheels/tires and maybe brakes will easily run you over 10k.

That's not even including driving lessons, which I consider the most important "mod".
Tires are consumables, not mods. Wheels are needed to attach the tires to the car, not a mod. Brake pads and rotors are consumables. Some people upgrade brakes in Porsche GT cars, but the factory brakes are good, so brake upgrades don't make much difference.

Mods increase power or downforce, or improve the suspension.

Setup isn't really a mod, it's tuning.

Driving lessons are obviously not a car mod ...

Last edited by Manifold; 07-16-2024 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2024, 12:09 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

factory brakes are ****, wheels are mods , new wheels= new tyres so a mod as most people have 2 full sets of wheels/tyres, as are brakes, as the cars untrackable at any serious speeds oem.

most serious track dayers buy new wheels, tyres, brakes, geo plus extra top mounts, etc and then if you buy shocks that lot is over £20k and these people don't want to trailer a race car at 60mph for 1k miles.

The Manthey Kit is £54k on the 4RS as an example. If you are not spending money you are not serious or even thinking about lap times and doing more than 2 track days a year. you are then imo a VIP or badge buyer and have the car for the wrong reasons.

£10k is nothing in Porsche land, that's a lot on a VW Golf, but not on a GT car.
Old 07-16-2024, 12:15 PM
renn.tp
Racer

Received 581 Likes on 129 Posts

Some intense discourse. Really think it’s as simple as the GT3 is more capable, but the 4RS is still an incredibly adept track car - especially with a few supporting mods. End debate?
EXFIB (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 01:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
factory brakes are ****, wheels are mods , new wheels= new tyres so a mod as most people have 2 full sets of wheels/tyres, as are brakes, as the cars untrackable at any serious speeds oem.

most serious track dayers buy new wheels, tyres, brakes, geo plus extra top mounts, etc and then if you buy shocks that lot is over £20k and these people don't want to trailer a race car at 60mph for 1k miles.

The Manthey Kit is £54k on the 4RS as an example. If you are not spending money you are not serious or even thinking about lap times and doing more than 2 track days a year. you are then imo a VIP or badge buyer and have the car for the wrong reasons.

£10k is nothing in Porsche land, that's a lot on a VW Golf, but not on a GT car.
So much wrong here ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Juggy (07-16-2024), ldamelio (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 01:34 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

I think these two videos (same driver) capture how great and how frustrating the 4RS can be, depending mainly on where the 4RS is driven and how it's driven. Go to 28:45 in the second video.
They came out a couple months ago saying later examples had a different result: https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayman/gt4/rs

Pretty good article that addresses the review you posted. Many I've given rides to have expected the car to be louder and harsher than it is and that is their first comments.

The worst I experienced was on a concrete highway section with many expansion joints for an hour or more cruising at 80 which is nearly 4k rpm. That was very uncomfortable, but aside from that, mine is quite civilized on roads and most of the 8 hour drive home was good. I did decibel readings in my GT4 I drove out to trade and the 4RS coming back. Both were mid 70's cruising on same sections of road.

Unsure if there is a part changed in dampers. Either way, the car is very stiff and loud overall, but as expected for an RS product to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eric5280:
Manifold (07-16-2024), Mike981S (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 03:24 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

So much wrong here ...
badge buyers say that I find :-)
Old 07-16-2024, 03:45 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by renn.tp
Some intense discourse. Really think it’s as simple as the GT3 is more capable, but the 4RS is still an incredibly adept track car - especially with a few supporting mods. End debate?
Discourse is the purpose of the forum... good that there any so many varying opinions... means we can all learn something.
Manifold (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 04:56 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by renn.tp
it is a forum, the point is to debate. So I am gonna keep it going lol.

people keep saying GT3 is a more capable car, but I see stock 4RS perform equal or better than stock GT3 on various tracks…

It is a more technically advanced car, doesn’t mean it is more capable than 4RS’s plain old physics.
The following 2 users liked this post by VRShader:
Odin (07-17-2024), TDT (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 05:03 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou

people keep saying GT3 is a more capable car, but I see stock 4RS perform equal or better than stock GT3 on various tracks…

It is a more technically advanced car, doesn’t mean it is more capable than 4RS’s plain old physics.
As someone who's had both, that feels very much down to drivers and alignments. There are a few very good drivers that are not concerned with the "character" of the back end and are willing to drive a GT4RS 10/10ths. In that case with a proper track alignment, there may be some situations where it's a coin flip which is faster.

The GT3 does not require a very special driver to get within a few tenths of it's theoretical best lap (assuming the same tires)- it is less sensitive to driver and alignment.

If a great driver with few risk concerns shows up and the 4RS has the better alignment (like perhaps the C&D Lightning Lap), then sure... the 4RS might run a better time.

A typical track day leaves all the variables bright and obvious. I've been passed by Miatas and E30s while driving a GT3, and I've passed lots of GT3 and GT3RSs in a Toyota GR86. It's amazing what a brand new fresh set of tires will do on the first session out.

Last edited by Visceral; 07-16-2024 at 05:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Visceral:
fasteddie99 (07-17-2024), VRShader (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 06:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohsonChou

4RS accelerates just as strongly at track rpms as GT3, maybe stronger.

I think 4RS has less drag, so an advantage on straights?

4RS doesn't have as good a suspension, doesn't have RWS, has narrower tracks, and less downforce (?), but it's mid-engine and longer wheelbase, so maybe about the same cornering capability?

I think the bottom line is that no GT3 driver should be confident they won't get passed by a 4RS. The capability of the car on track is about the same. The choice between the cars should really be about which one someone finds is more fun to drive. I got both of them to have some variety.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions