Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2024, 09:02 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 440 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think the ‘race car’ terminology is a German way of saying ‘suitable for the race track’.

Porsche is well aware that an OEM 4RS is not a race car (like the club sport) meant for competition racing with a full cage, fire suppression, stripped out interior, track-only suspension, etc.
Race car or track car . . . points still stand

Avera
The following users liked this post:
7184RS (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 09:53 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

no other GT car out of what 30 odd GT cars Porsche have made hops about like a pogo stick out the box, my 996 GT3 was a bit rough, but not as bad as the 4RS out the box.

People who don't own the 4RS should really not be posting crap in the thread they know nothing about. your point is rubbish as all my other GT cars have been great road cars. As for "race car" it's daft. I wish it was more race car I would pay £50k more for it, if it were. hence people mod them more for track work.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 07-18-2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 11:21 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

You guys are killing me!

Mike981S (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,430 Likes on 2,520 Posts

4RS is a unique car with a distinctive and strong personality. With the right driver in the right mood on the right road/track with the right setup, the car is bliss. To the extent that those conditions aren't met, the car will be less than bliss. The car isn't trying to be all things to all people in all times and conditions. I've had moments of bliss with the car, moments of less than bliss, and moments of disappointment or frustration.
AlexCeres (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 12:50 PM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts

The 4RS doesn't hop about outta the box. People don't get alligment checked then start crying about it
The following 2 users liked this post by MannyLon:
7184RS (07-18-2024), LZRD GRN (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 01:58 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
no other GT car out of what 30 odd GT cars Porsche have made hops about like a pogo stick out the box, my 996 GT3 was a bit rough, but not as bad as the 4RS out the box.

People who don't own the 4RS should really not be posting crap in the thread they know nothing about. your point is rubbish as all my other GT cars have been great road cars. As for "race car" it's daft. I wish it was more race car I would pay £50k more for it, if it were. hence people mod them more for track work.
I only have 200 miles on my 4RS, so still early days, but so far I haven't experienced much of this pogo effect on the same roads and speeds my 997.2 GT3 pogos like crazy. Not sure if it is a car set up thing or what Porsche apparently fixed/changed in 24 cars. For whatit os worth, mine is a 24 car with PCCB + mags, as delivered.

Last edited by sunnyr; 07-18-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Mike981S (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 02:36 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
I only have 200 miles on my 4RS, so still early days, but so far I haven't experienced much of this pogo effect on the same roads and speeds my 997.2 GT3 pogos like crazy. Not sure if it is a car set up thing or what Porsche apparently fixed/changed in 24 cars. For whatit os worth, mine is a 24 car with PCCB + mags, as delivered.
I think it's truly road/surface dependent. MOST of the time, the car is great on my local roads and even some of those in the surrounding areas (Ojai, Fraser Park etc.) There are places where the pogo is really bad (Stunt Rd, Malibu Canyon) but it does not make me want to run out and grab a pair of MCS 3 ways.

Since this is an impressions thread, curious of those posting regularly, how many miles have you driven your cars to get your pov. I'm at 4200 as of today. How about you?
Mike981S (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 02:44 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

A couple pages back a member described how stiff the 718 chassis is . . . I commented how this might be related to how prone the 718 is to drone

I also suspect the handling is related to chassis stiffness

I had a F87C with fixed and notoriously stiff suspension . . . yet, it did not ‘pogo’ all over the place. In fact, it was very planted/stable

My point being, I have no doubt the GT4/RS suspension is superior to the F87C . . . the difference toward handling seems reasonably more related to the stiff 718 chassis

Avera

Last edited by Avera; 07-18-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 02:52 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrd_spy

Of course, because nobody who have never owned a RS knows nothing about suspension or handling

The irony is I am not even disagreeing with you about the stability/pogoing of the RS . . . based on all the comments in this thread I have no doubt it is true

200K for a Porsche GT race car . . . did anyone really think it would be street ‘compliant?’

The fact that it also appears to ‘pogo’ around the track is a bigger concern and not what one should expect for the price and GT pedigree

Avera
Old 07-18-2024, 03:39 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,060 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
No doubt, explains why this thread is so out of whack . . . enthusiasts buying a race car for an occasional trot around the block on the weekend

Harder to explain why the relatively few who do attend the track feel a need to try and improve upon the 200K GT race car Porsche built . . . starting to make sense why so many experienced track-rats favor older ///M cars at their racing platform

Avera
It shouldn't be difficult to understand at a conceptual level—Porsche builds every car they make to a certain price point, and provides a package meet the needs of a range of customers. You're focused a bit too much on the $200k price point. It doesn't matter what the cost of the car is if the parts they included are intended to cover a more general usage range vs a specific application. As an example, one of my local tracks is Laguna Seca, which as a track is particularly hard on brakes if one is going quite quickly. In my experience, I find the OEM brakes to feel pretty mediocre...mushy even, by the middle of or towards the end of a 20 min session. Even with hi-temp brake fluid. By switching to a more aggressive track pad, the braking feel improved massively, contributing more confidence each lap and more enjoyment as a result.

That's an example of just one component. And because Porsche tax is a real thing, the price really adds up even if one isn't really looking to overhaul the entire car. I'd imagine for folks who frequent really bumpy tracks (e.g., Nurburgring), a suspension change would definitely be in the cards. MCS, KW, Ohlins, a suspension swap all pretty much starts at $10k and goes up, not even including labor.

There's something really enjoyable about "building" a car to one's wants and needs. It feels like a personal journey and it's even better when it serves a quantifiable goal like improving performance and enjoyment on track.
The following 4 users liked this post by KelvinC:
Avera (07-18-2024), lovetoturn (07-19-2024), mr965 (07-18-2024), TDT (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 03:47 PM
jayson
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 147 Posts

7 minutes 9 seconds around the Nordschleife. Imagine if they fixed the catastrophically poorly designed pogo rear suspension on this not a road car not a race car... car. 6:30? 6:00? Porsche is sandbagging the 718 platform so it won't be faster around the ring than the new Panamera.

^^^ just trying to summarize the last few pages.

The following 2 users liked this post by jayson:
Avera (07-18-2024), MannyLon (07-19-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 03:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I think it's truly road/surface dependent. MOST of the time, the car is great on my local roads and even some of those in the surrounding areas (Ojai, Fraser Park etc.) There are places where the pogo is really bad (Stunt Rd, Malibu Canyon) but it does not make me want to run out and grab a pair of MCS 3 ways.

Since this is an impressions thread, curious of those posting regularly, how many miles have you driven your cars to get your pov. I'm at 4200 as of today. How about you?
I'm at about 1,000 miles on local roads, no track yet. I don't really notice a pogo effect, but sometimes the damping doesn't damp the movement of the car well enough, even on the sport setting. It's not an issue of ride quality, and driving the Cayman R today (passive dampers), I felt that the 4RS has a more supple ride.

Last edited by Manifold; 07-18-2024 at 03:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
AlexCeres (07-18-2024), lovetoturn (07-19-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 07:04 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
A couple pages back a member described how stiff the 718 chassis is . . . I commented how this might be related to how prone the 718 is to drone

I also suspect the handling is related to chassis stiffness

I had a F87C with fixed and notoriously stiff suspension . . . yet, it did not ‘pogo’ all over the place. In fact, it was very planted/stable

My point being, I have no doubt the GT4/RS suspension is superior to the F87C . . . the difference toward handling seems reasonably more related to the stiff 718 chassis

Avera
Pardon? Honestly most of your comments on these forums leave me scratching my head.

You already admitted you sold your GT4 because it was too much car for you to enjoy on the street, and now drive a Macan. I'm confused at how you've landed in the GT4RS driving impressions thread to begin with?
Old 07-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KelvinC
It shouldn't be difficult to understand at a conceptual level—Porsche builds every car they make to a certain price point, and provides a package meet the needs of a range of customers. You're focused a bit too much on the $200k price point. It doesn't matter what the cost of the car is if the parts they included are intended to cover a more general usage range vs a specific application. As an example, one of my local tracks is Laguna Seca, which as a track is particularly hard on brakes if one is going quite quickly. In my experience, I find the OEM brakes to feel pretty mediocre...mushy even, by the middle of or towards the end of a 20 min session. Even with hi-temp brake fluid. By switching to a more aggressive track pad, the braking feel improved massively, contributing more confidence each lap and more enjoyment as a result.

That's an example of just one component. And because Porsche tax is a real thing, the price really adds up even if one isn't really looking to overhaul the entire car. I'd imagine for folks who frequent really bumpy tracks (e.g., Nurburgring), a suspension change would definitely be in the cards. MCS, KW, Ohlins, a suspension swap all pretty much starts at $10k and goes up, not even including labor.

There's something really enjoyable about "building" a car to one's wants and needs. It feels like a personal journey and it's even better when it serves a quantifiable goal like improving performance and enjoyment on track.
Your points are all valid . . . which, again, is why I suspect so many track rats prefer building off an ///M car chassis, such as the E46. Not because they are better off the shelf than the RS, of course. Rather, up front investment of 40-50K that can be completely customized into a track weapon for under 100K. This also plays into your comments pertaining to the enjoyment of 'building' your own car. Also true is that few, if any at this point, want to spend 200K on a Porsche GT race car and beat the hell of it on the track.

Avera
Old 07-18-2024, 07:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I don't think any opinion about the 4RS should carry much weight if the person hasn't driven the car, preferably a lot. The car is unique and has distinct differences from a GT4 or GT3 or any other Porsche.
The following 5 users liked this post by Manifold:
BlazinPond (07-18-2024), ChrisF (07-19-2024), Eric5280 (07-18-2024), Mike981S (07-18-2024), Taffy66 (07-19-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions