Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 02:36 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rcfun33
I would personally be happy with the longer warranty, if I planned to keep the car. I might be concerned that it might impact resale value if it wasn't a keeper. There could be some ongoing problems if the dealer did a poor job of open-heart surgery - ongoing leaks, etc.
If you have all the parts, tools and mechanical insight (e.g., Porsche dealership), then replacing an engine is really not that difficult and certainly does not equate to open-heart surgery. . . when you have everything required to do the job, it is a relatively simple matter of lifting, loosening, removing, replacing, tightening and lowering.

Avera
Old 04-19-2023, 02:44 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
If you have all the parts, tools and mechanical insight (e.g., Porsche dealership), then replacing an engine is really not that difficult and certainly does not equate to open-heart surgery. . . when you have everything required to do the job, it is a relatively simple matter of lifting, loosening, removing, replacing, tightening and lowering.

Avera
Maybe, but modern engines have a ton of connections, mechanical, electrical, coolant, etc. A little lack of attention and something can easily not be snapped back together well or tightened properly. Then between diagnosis and "re-fixing" it can mean undue time in the shop. I'm sure it can almost always be sorted out in the end, but that lost time can be a pain.

It's for similar reasons that I don't ever upgrade sound systems. Once a dash is apart, it is almost impossible to guarantee there won't be squeaks or rattles. I know it is possible to have everything go back together perfectly, but it is also possible it doesn't.

Old 04-19-2023, 02:45 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

As a consumer who bought two '21 Spyders, one with PDK with the recall extended warranty and the other one with MT that was not included in the recall. I'm keeping the recall car because of the extended warranty and I'm already getting ready to trade in the car with the shorter warranty. That whole recall experience was a nightmare, but I must say that Porsche handled it all pretty well and in retrospect I'm a happy camper and Porsche has my business.
The following users liked this post:
Webfiero (04-24-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Maybe, but modern engines have a ton of connections, mechanical, electrical, coolant, etc. A little lack of attention and something can easily not be snapped back together well or tightened properly. Then between diagnosis and "re-fixing" it can mean undue time in the shop. I'm sure it can almost always be sorted out in the end, but that lost time can be a pain.

It's for similar reasons that I don't ever upgrade sound systems. Once a dash is apart, it is almost impossible to guarantee there won't be squeaks or rattles. I know it is possible to have everything go back together perfectly, but it is also possible it doesn't.
I am playing devil's advocate and, hopefully, respectfully so . . . one of the genius aspects of modern auto engineering is the modular aspect of construction. These cars were designed to be taken apart and, when necessary, parts replaced. Just look at the process thousands and thousands of GT4/Spyder owners have gone through hundreds of thousands of times (as a whole) just to access the mid-engine bay. No doubt we have reports of aftermath rattles and such but, as a whole, things go back together nicely and snuggly, as designed to do. Again, with the right parts, tools and mechanical insight, replacing an engine is a relatively straightforward process.

Avera
Old 04-19-2023, 03:18 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

I would personally be happy with the longer warranty, if I planned to keep the car. I might be concerned that it might impact resale value if it wasn't a keeper. There could be some ongoing problems if the dealer did a poor job of open-heart surgery - ongoing leaks, etc.
My understanding of the engine replacement process per the recall is that they are dropping in what is typically called a crate engine. Meaning it has everything from the block to the heads to the intake to the fuel system, wiring harness, etc. Much less room for error than if they were shipping out a crankcase with rods and pistons, a.k.a. a short block, and requiring the technician to transfer heads and chains and all of the rest of it. I would not be afraid of the former but I would be terrified of the latter.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:29 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 169 Posts

Glad to hear some feedback as someone who recently bought the very last car in the connecting rod recall VIN range. The unlimited mileage engine warranty through 2029 had some appeal to me for sure if I ended up wanting to drive the hell out of it and put some real miles on.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBucketOfTruth:
jeanrabelais (04-19-2023), SpyderSenseOC (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 03:34 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Glad to hear some feedback as someone who recently bought the very last car in the connecting rod recall VIN range. The unlimited mileage engine warranty through 2029 had some appeal to me for sure if I ended up wanting to drive the hell out of it and put some real miles on.
. . . how could you go wrong with that type of reassurance

Avera
Old 04-19-2023, 03:49 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
The unlimited mileage engine warranty through 2029 had some appeal to me for sure...
And probably to almost anyone you might sell the car to (assuming it's transferable). You'll get value out of it someday in some way.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:06 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I am being offered one of the last 2023 Gt4s with a delivery date in early May. Guards Red with MSRP of 121k with manual transmission, but no sport buckets and no PCCB.

I think they want 15k ADM. Is this the going rate or should I be pushing for MSRP?
Old 04-24-2023, 06:10 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
I am being offered one of the last 2023 Gt4s with a delivery date in early May. Guards Red with MSRP of 121k with manual transmission, but no sport buckets and no PCCB.

I think they want 15k ADM. Is this the going rate or should I be pushing for MSRP?
In my opinion the market has soften quite a bit. In mid/late 2022, it was typical needing to pay $20-$30K over MSRP. The last few I've been tracking sold for $3-$5K over MSRP. $15K over MSRP is not something I'd pay for, especially if it doesn't have the options you want.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:11 PM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess it depends, if you have 15K you want to Donate to the dealer and it doesn't matter then yes do it. If 15K over bothers you, I wouldn't go any higher that 3-5K.

Old 04-24-2023, 06:14 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Instead of paying that ADM, I'd be watching Bring a Trailer. Some really nice deals lately on GT4 and Spyder, and many of them have looooow miles and the buckets and PCCB's that a lot of folks are looking for. I'd rather have that than ADM without the stuff I want.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:28 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
In my opinion the market has soften quite a bit. In mid/late 2022, it was typical needing to pay $20-$30K over MSRP. The last few I've been tracking sold for $3-$5K over MSRP. $15K over MSRP is not something I'd pay for, especially if it doesn't have the options you want.
My local dealer just sold a '21, GT Silver with Spyder Classic interior, LWBS but no PCCB for 8k over MSRP, for a two years old car.
It was sold for less than a month from them receiving it and less than two weeks from when they actually posted it on their website.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:31 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
My local dealer just sold a '21, GT Silver with Spyder Classic interior, LWBS but no PCCB for 8k over MSRP, for a two years old car.
It was sold for less than a month from them receiving it and less than two weeks from when they actually posted it on their website.
Assuming you're talking about the Porsche Fremont Spyder? I asked about that car and was going to go test drive it to consider buying it but they said that we must negotiate a final purchasing price and do all paperwork before letting me test drive. Yea...no thanks working with a dealership like that.
The following users liked this post:
brock256 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 07:10 PM
SK991.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 115 Posts

SO following this thread.. what would be fair sell price NOW.. on a very low mileage manual Spyder with PCCB .. sorry how much over MSRP would be too much. I see lots of CPO cars FS.. asking all over the place $12-20K over MSRP. Thanks ahead.
MY 22 or 23.

Quick Reply: New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale