Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What did you buy your 718 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 01:21 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Curious as to why you wouldn't use Rennline's own wireless charger which is a lot better looking than the MagSafe one.
Main reason: I bought the setup used from the classifieds, and I received the combo within 2-3 days - Im impatient.
Second: No shot in hell Im paying $85 to Rennline, when I can get the same thing for 1/3rd of the price off Amazon.

I would agree that the style in the combo I bought doesnt look as good as Rennlines version, but for now Im holding pat with what I got. Plus, it really doesn't matter aesthetically to me at the moment, bc I cant see the setup when Im in the car due to the phone blocking the mount.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 03:48 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Main reason: I bought the setup used from the classifieds, and I received the combo within 2-3 days - Im impatient.
Second: No shot in hell Im paying $85 to Rennline, when I can get the same thing for 1/3rd of the price off Amazon.

I would agree that the style in the combo I bought doesnt look as good as Rennlines version, but for now Im holding pat with what I got. Plus, it really doesn't matter aesthetically to me at the moment, bc I cant see the setup when Im in the car due to the phone blocking the mount.
Is it this one?

Amazon Amazon

Assuming it's got the same ball receiver on the end, to connect to the Rennline mount.... damn I'd have gone this route too. It's not like the "official" Rennline Magsafe piece is substantially better looking. And to exactly your point - you don't see it when the phone is on it anyways. And if I'm in the car... my phone is on it. I don't even use it to charge (since, to use CarPlay, I gotta plug the cable in anyways).
Old 10-02-2023, 05:41 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Is it this one?

https://www.amazon.com/ESR-HaloLock-...ps%2C87&sr=8-5

Assuming it's got the same ball receiver on the end, to connect to the Rennline mount.... damn I'd have gone this route too. It's not like the "official" Rennline Magsafe piece is substantially better looking. And to exactly your point - you don't see it when the phone is on it anyways. And if I'm in the car... my phone is on it. I don't even use it to charge (since, to use CarPlay, I gotta plug the cable in anyways).
that’s the one. Fits the Rennline ball mount perfectly.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:10 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Is it this one?

https://www.amazon.com/ESR-HaloLock-...ps%2C87&sr=8-5

I use the OTTOCAST dongle for CarPlay. I can now say than Im wireless/ cordless after this install, paired with the recent hardwiring of my Uniden R8.

CarPlay in this platform - 718 - when being used without a direct power source, drains the battery extremely quickly. Annoyingly so
Old 10-03-2023, 10:10 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 879 Posts

So, I'm a sucker as I paid $2,300 for different color thread. I also don't mind sending Rennline a little bit of money as they make products for our cars that I appreciate.

I do think that the Rennline option looks sleeker and the flat ring that goes on the back of my phone case is very non-intrusive and I find it more stable than the non-charging base due to its wider footprint.

Last edited by MaddMike; 10-03-2023 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:02 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,659 Likes on 2,712 Posts

I use the OTTOCAST dongle for CarPlay. I can now say than Im wireless/ cordless after this install, paired with the recent hardwiring of my Uniden R8.

CarPlay in this platform - 718 - when being used without a direct power source, drains the battery extremely quickly. Annoyingly so
I run a wireless solution as well, the Carlinkit, not a lot you can do about battery drain, I find for in town drives, not an issue, but on our trip to Rennsport I just plugged it into the USB outlet in the glove compartment (dash).
Old 10-03-2023, 11:28 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 833 Likes on 446 Posts

I stopped using OTTOCAST. Way too buggy...

Old 10-03-2023, 12:09 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 879 Posts

So, I have been meaning to get a dashcam for a while as there are just too many bad drivers out there plus sometimes I want to capture my drive. There seems to be an endless source of options and opinions on them. We have tiny windscreens and I don't need something blocking half of it or being buggy and only working half the time.

I'm going to the Rennsport Dragon rally in a couple weeks and I figured now was a good time as any to get a dashcam. I found out about the Fitcamx in the 992 forum. Looks like at least the front cam hides in the rear view mirror making it invisible as it is also powered by the mirror sensors. They claim it takes 15 min to install. Obviously, I need the rear cam too as I'm more likely to get rear ended than hit someone so I need to figure out where to mount that. Hopefully it gets here on time and works as well as advertised.

https://fitcamx.com/collections/pors...id=a1k7_2s8b7&

Last edited by MaddMike; 10-03-2023 at 12:14 PM.
mc3456 (10-10-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 05:41 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 833 Likes on 446 Posts

So, I have been meaning to get a dashcam for a while as there are just too many bad drivers out there plus sometimes I want to capture my drive. There seems to be an endless source of options and opinions on them. We have tiny windscreens and I don't need something blocking half of it or being buggy and only working half the time.

I'm going to the Rennsport Dragon rally in a couple weeks and I figured now was a good time as any to get a dashcam. I found out about the Fitcamx in the 992 forum. Looks like at least the front cam hides in the rear view mirror making it invisible as it is also powered by the mirror sensors. They claim it takes 15 min to install. Obviously, I need the rear cam too as I'm more likely to get rear ended than hit someone so I need to figure out where to mount that. Hopefully it gets here on time and works as well as advertised.

https://fitcamx.com/collections/pors...id=a1k7_2s8b7&

Very timely as I'm searching dashcams too and started a separate dedicated thread this morning!
I like how integrated this one is...! The only concern is that it draws too much on that mirror circuit and pop's the fuse??
Let me know how it goes. I'd probably only do a front cam on the spyder since it's a soft top and I don't know where I'd mount a rear one that would look good enough for me.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:29 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

See this Fitcamx thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...x-install.html
Old 10-03-2023, 10:09 PM
driftdoctor
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts

The following 5 users liked this post by driftdoctor:
BabyNSX (10-04-2023), BoxKing (10-03-2023), j-dub (10-03-2023), Jonathan_987 (10-04-2023), UncleDude (10-03-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 12:02 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Looks like at least the front cam hides in the rear view mirror making it invisible as it is also powered by the mirror sensors.
FYI: the splitter cable that allows for powering the FitCamX from the overhead console without running power to the fusebox is NOT included in the box. I was chatting with Customer Service today about them sending me one; their reply after some back-and-forth was "I will confirm to department and reply to you within 12 hours."

EDIT: Let me clarify - was not included in the box of the one I bought over a year ago, perhaps that has changed. Though chatting with them they semeed to really be pushing me to do the fusebox method (just getting around to installing it now).

Last edited by nobbyv; 10-05-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:38 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Finally I was able to get the Illuminates SS Door Sills and Steering Wheel Spoke Trim in black installed on the car. Certainly do regret not ordering the sills from factory the image in the configurator had mislead me. Still, quite pleased to have these installed as they create a more upscale look compared to the full plastic ones. Cannot fathom how Porsche sells $100k cars with tacky plastic looking door sills... On a side note the illuminated door sills were much lighter than I had thought, so probably only added a pound or two of weight in total to the car.

The steering wheel looks more sporty and focused to my eyes with the shiny plastic bits replaced with black ones. They are relatively big pieces, and the shiny finish is clashing with the aluminum interior trim in the rest of the cockpit.

Since the beginning my goal was to create a more cohesive interior and improve upon an already beautiful interior. The simplicity of the cabin design is very appealing to me. At this point I pretty much done putting my personal touches on the car (probably will have the steering wheel stitching redone in silver to match the rest of the interior as well). To date I have done the following to the interior adding a few subtle touches:

- Center Console Trim in Leather (OEM)
- Shifter Boot with Silver Stitching (Exclusive Option)
- Shift **** in Brushed Aluminum (OEM)
-Steering Wheel Trim in black (OEM)
- Illuminated SS Door Sills (OEM)
- Windschott Rear Glass

Last edited by sin911; 10-07-2023 at 01:42 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by sin911:
GTSPYDER23 (10-07-2023), IRM (10-07-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (10-07-2023), UncleDude (10-07-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 06:24 PM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 393 Likes on 208 Posts

New to me winter shoes for the toy! Oz wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+.
Courtesy of UncleDude who had them on his GTS and Spyder!

The following 5 users liked this post by rjag2034:
Cyclman (10-09-2023), mc3456 (10-10-2023), slilley (10-10-2023), tigerhonaker (10-10-2023), UncleDude (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 07:26 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

You might as well look good in the winter too!
rjag2034 (10-09-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 718 today?