Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 08:40 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtnbkrlts
My Guards Red Spyder went V260 today. If everything goes well, any idea how long until it hits V300? Does it usually take the full week as stated on the date tracking sheet, or is it typically faster?
Usually takes one week. Mine did and went V300 June 25
Old 07-02-2021, 10:03 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4 Shark Blue
I decided to make a trip to the Atlanta PEC. I have a reservation to drive a GT4 on Wednesday the 14th. I figured if I am buying a $120,000 car that I have never even sat in let alone driven I would be smart to pay for a thorough test drive. So I am pumped to get behind the wheel. Seems to make more sense to drive one now instead of the Atlanta PEC delivery option where you get to drive one on the track the same day as taking delivery. I will report back on the experience. Still not to late for me to change my mind if I don’t like the car. Haha.
Not sure if your primary use case is track or street. If you’re planning to use it mainly for track, thats a great idea. But a track test is very different from a street drive. The glass-smooth road, driving at much higher speeds, and you don’t experience ramps, dips, potholes, etc…
Old 07-03-2021, 07:54 AM
GT4 Shark Blue
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Not sure if your primary use case is track or street. If you’re planning to use it mainly for track, thats a great idea. But a track test is very different from a street drive. The glass-smooth road, driving at much higher speeds, and you don’t experience ramps, dips, potholes, etc…
Oh I realize it will not be a real world test drive. But I am selling a super fun M2 for this car. They are very different machines with very different motors. For twice the price I want to be sure I know what I am getting. It’s hard to commit to a car based on listening to YouTube reviews. I am sure a little seat time will be very helpful.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:47 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Oh I realize it will not be a real world test drive. But I am selling a super fun M2 for this car. They are very different machines with very different motors. For twice the price I want to be sure I know what I am getting. It’s hard to commit to a car based on listening to YouTube reviews. I am sure a little seat time will be very helpful.
I totally understand. I wish I could get some seat time. I am selling a GT350 for this. I drove a 981 GTS for a spirited 15 minutes. And I test drove a base Cayman manual and a Boxster S pdk. I hope I like this new car because I really love diving the Shelby.
The following users liked this post:
GT4 Shark Blue (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 09:20 AM
Porsche2014
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't let anyone sow seeds of doubt in your mind, LOL! You will absolutely love the GT4 on the track *and* on the street. It is a creature fit for both environments. My wife and I have had a couple of track days now where we'd leave the track, come home, clean it up, and go out for dinner.
GT4 Shark Blue (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 10:21 AM
sonystyle02
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Do some of you folks that have July/August/Sept deliveries have 18 way seats or just LWBS / 2ways? Thanks!
LWBS for me. Sept 17 delivery.
Old 07-03-2021, 03:18 PM
brades
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Is there a page to track the status/event keys? I found an allocation and put down a small deposit for a GTS4.0. SA says it should arrive around thanksgiving.
Old 07-03-2021, 03:30 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Originally Posted by brades
Is there a page to track the status/event keys? I found an allocation and put down a small deposit for a GTS4.0. SA says it should arrive around thanksgiving.
Not as far as I know. You can only get the updated info through your SA via the Porsche Sales and Vehicle Management System (PSVM)
brades (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 03:32 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I totally understand. I wish I could get some seat time. I am selling a GT350 for this. I drove a 981 GTS for a spirited 15 minutes. And I test drove a base Cayman manual and a Boxster S pdk. I hope I like this new car because I really love diving the Shelby.
Seem there are a few of us here taking the leap into mid-engine and the Cayman platform. I am coming from an SS 1LE and prior to that a few highlight cars I have had... Audi TTRS, C6 Z06, C5 Z06.

I did a bunch of research and I know going in that the GT4 will be ONLY be about equal to my SS 1LE. The lap times on most tracks have the SS 1LE and GT4 within splitting hairs of each other. So why am I willing to pay more than double than what I paid for my SS 1LE for the same performance?

For me it came to these main factors, in no particular order...

1.) PDK. I miss having a dual clutch gearbox (F80 M3 & Audi S4) and PDK is the best of the best for a DCT tranny. The PDK GT4 is quicker than the SS 1LE. 4.1 VS 3.7 (and Porsche sandbags their numbers, so really probably more like 3.5)

2.) Light weight. The SS 1LE handles amazing and above its weight class, but you CAN feel the weight when throwing it around corners. The C5 Z06 and Audi TTRS were the lightest cars I have ever had and both were fun to throw around the corners.

3.) Mid-engine: I do not know how much of an advantage this will be yet , as I have never had a mid-engine car before. The SS 1LE is VERY balanced with no understeer with the right alignment, so I am hoping to match that with alignment settings on the GT4. Being a pilot, I do understand center of gravity and weight & balance through.

4.) Porsche Quality: I really miss the luxury euro feel and vibe from German cars. Every time I got into the Audi TTRS it just felt so special and just had that upscale vibe and reeked of high quality. I think Porsche is even a step above Audi and I am looking forward to getting into my custom optioned GT4 interior. I have taken a couple test drives in GT4's and sat in many more and every time I get back into the Camaro, it just feels low rent (even though I have the 2SS version)

5.) I am now in a financial position to have a car in this price range and if I can have SS 1LE performance levels in a better and higher quality package, then why not.

6.) The "Porsche" experience. I keep hearing that once you go Porsche, you never can go back to anything else. My expectations are high, but I am trying to keep them realistic.

Worst case scenario, is I don't fall in love with it and after a 2-3 years, there will be the C8 Z06 upgrade option. However I am REALLY hoping that I do fall in love with it and it will be a 7-10 year car ownership experience.

Last edited by TRZ06; 07-03-2021 at 03:38 PM.
GT4 Shark Blue (08-09-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 06:44 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Seem there are a few of us here taking the leap into mid-engine and the Cayman platform. I am coming from an SS 1LE and prior to that a few highlight cars I have had... Audi TTRS, C6 Z06, C5 Z06.

I did a bunch of research and I know going in that the GT4 will be ONLY be about equal to my SS 1LE. The lap times on most tracks have the SS 1LE and GT4 within splitting hairs of each other. So why am I willing to pay more than double than what I paid for my SS 1LE for the same performance?

For me it came to these main factors, in no particular order...

1.) PDK. I miss having a dual clutch gearbox (F80 M3 & Audi S4) and PDK is the best of the best for a DCT tranny. The PDK GT4 is quicker than the SS 1LE. 4.1 VS 3.7 (and Porsche sandbags their numbers, so really probably more like 3.5)

2.) Light weight. The SS 1LE handles amazing and above its weight class, but you CAN feel the weight when throwing it around corners. The C5 Z06 and Audi TTRS were the lightest cars I have ever had and both were fun to throw around the corners.

3.) Mid-engine: I do not know how much of an advantage this will be yet , as I have never had a mid-engine car before. The SS 1LE is VERY balanced with no understeer with the right alignment, so I am hoping to match that with alignment settings on the GT4. Being a pilot, I do understand center of gravity and weight & balance through.

4.) Porsche Quality: I really miss the luxury euro feel and vibe from German cars. Every time I got into the Audi TTRS it just felt so special and just had that upscale vibe and reeked of high quality. I think Porsche is even a step above Audi and I am looking forward to getting into my custom optioned GT4 interior. I have taken a couple test drives in GT4's and sat in many more and every time I get back into the Camaro, it just feels low rent (even though I have the 2SS version)

5.) I am now in a financial position to have a car in this price range and if I can have SS 1LE performance levels in a better and higher quality package, then why not.

6.) The "Porsche" experience. I keep hearing that once you go Porsche, you never can go back to anything else. My expectations are high, but I am trying to keep them realistic.

Worst case scenario, is I don't fall in love with it and after a 2-3 years, there will be the C8 Z06 upgrade option. However I am REALLY hoping that I do fall in love with it and it will be a 7-10 year car ownership experience.
This is very comforting to read. I agree with everything you said except #1, as I only want a manual because this is a toy, not a dedicated track car. I would add to your comment about weight, that I prefer a smaller car.

My biggest concern is that I will feel let down on the power. I was not happy with my 996's power and really didn't like the light front end's steering. Hopefully the GTS will check all the right boxes.

And if not, I suppose I could always sell it.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 07-04-2021 at 10:14 AM.
GT4 Shark Blue (08-09-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 07:14 PM
brades
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's my tracking sheet... my first Porsche will be here by Thanksgiving if everything goes as planned... can't wait!

Build details
http://www.porsche-code.com/PN73GZ15
The following 3 users liked this post by brades:
cnw126 (07-03-2021), P-car-Vancouver (07-03-2021), Zeus993 (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 07:24 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Here's my tracking sheet... my first Porsche will be here by Thanksgiving if everything goes as planned... can't wait!

Build details
Congrats! Nice build! Classic
Old 07-03-2021, 07:35 PM
ddodds
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Build details
Nice build! I have the Boxster counterart arriving 11/3.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNFB1L59
Old 07-03-2021, 07:40 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
This is very comforting to read. I agree with everything you said except #1, as I only want a manual because this is s toy, not a dedicated track car. I would add to your comment about weight, that I prefer a smaller car.

My biggest concern is that I will feel let down on the power. I was not happy with my 996's power and really didn't like the light front end's steering. Hopefully the GTS will check all the right boxes.

And if not, I suppose I could always sell it.
I did actually notice the lighter steering feel on my test drive too (PCCB equipped car, and as I ordered mine so that probably doesn't help here) and wasn't a big fan either. I plan on doing -2.5 camber up front with only shims, so that should alter the caster some and in the right direction to increase steering effort, so I hope that will make it more to what I am accustomed to. I also will be taking out the front slats to increase the downforce on the front, but I don't think that is an option on the GTS.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:50 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Originally Posted by ddodds
Nice build! I have the Boxster counterart arriving 11/3.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNFB1L59
Also very nice build! Love the Satin Platinum wheels with that colour. My BGTS IN GT Silver finished production on June 25 and is sitting at the Port of Emden awaiting a ride across the Atlantic.

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...