Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 02:35 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 833 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by UncleDude
it would be helpful if people listed their country of origin in their profiles
Randy,

And also at least their 1st name !!!

Terry
Old 04-03-2021, 02:49 PM
Bananana
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
There is a stark contrast between how people who have taken delivery of their cars are being treated and those that haven’t. Some of this is a pure ownership issue...undelivered cars are still owned by Porsche. I imagine it is also a liability issue given the risk associated with the recall. I’m glad to see Porsche taking care of those folks. Now they need to get their **** together when it comes to the undelivered cars. The email was a joke.

For anyone comparing this to a supply chain disruption caused delay, they are very different. This was directly caused by Porsche, is a quality and safety issue, a Porsche issued recall and they are going to handle it differently than a situation that is mostly to entirely outside of their control. We need to keep advocating for them to make this right.
Was it directly caused by Porsche? Why isn't a supply chain disruption also caused by Porsche if you are saying this connecting rod issue is caused by Porsche? I'm unsure how you define ownership of a problem here.

As for safety issue, it's only a safety issue for individuals that have taken delivery and it seems like you believe they've done a good job for those folks so far.

Old 04-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

I am hoping since it is not a lot of cars, PAG’s wallet will be a bit looser to compensate owners.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:55 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by skafia
Hate to ask, but does anyone know how this affects resell? Will these cars not be "numbers matching" anymore (assuming there will be engine replacements). Did the exploding 991s get a 10 year engine warranty even with a replacement?
yes new engine and 10 years, and yes affected resale. 2014’s and some 2015’s less desirable, but the 10 year warranty for appealing to some vs a branded car.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:16 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by tone.tran
Was it directly caused by Porsche? Why isn't a supply chain disruption also caused by Porsche if you are saying this connecting rod issue is caused by Porsche? I'm unsure how you define ownership of a problem here.

As for safety issue, it's only a safety issue for individuals that have taken delivery and it seems like you believe they've done a good job for those folks so far.
Are you asking a genuine question or just being argumentative because I lack the patience right now for the latter? Assuming positive intent...

There are disruptions and delays that are pretty easy to see as outside of Porsche’s control. A global supply issue caused by a a pandemic. Delays in shipping caused by a stuck ship in a major canal for example. A government wanting to take a closer look at emissions that delays port exit, etc. All frustrating but understandable for Porsche to not offer specific apologies and compensation. This issue was caused by a manufacturing defect or similar in a process they are fully accountable for. Even if the part is supplied by someone else, Porsche is accountable for the quality. They clearly messed up and they know that...they are acting accordingly. Agree or disagree with this distinction?

My point with that post was to highlight the communication difference between delivered cars and undelivered cars. Delivered cars got a communication that felt genuinely apologetic and with specific remedies in a reasonable time period. Plus generous offers of compensation. All exactly what Porsche should be doing. Undelivered car buyers, not owners yet, received what felt like a form letter saying oops, it will be 3 to 6 more months and we’ll get back to you. Porsche likely has great reasons for this difference and I imagine most of it is legal liability if something really bad happens. My point, is that from a customers point of view, there is no difference between these two scenarios and Porsche needs to take a customer centric approach to fixing this problem. It isn’t hard to do if you really are a customer first company and that approach overrides the bean counters and lawyers in the room.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
yes new engine and 10 years, and yes affected resale. 2014’s and some 2015’s less desirable, but the 10 year warranty for appealing to some vs a branded car.
As someone who looked hard at the GT3 market before deciding on the Spyder, I see a big difference between these two. The 991.1 GT3 engine was “plagued” with a number of issues, one after another. I’m intentionally using exaggerated language because that seems to match the perspective of most second hand GT3 shoppers in this case. It wasn’t just one specific issue that impacted a specific set of cars over a set period. There were multiple compounding issues that led to Porsche finally adding the 10 year warranty. 991.1 GT3s under warranty haven’t been significantly impacted from a pricing standpoint but it does seem to have limited the buying pool and most folks would prefer the .2 to be “safe”. The 10 year warranties are running out so we will see what the future impact will be.

In either case, at least so far, the 4.0 engine hasn’t had a string of issues enough to damage the credibility of the engine. This is a crappy experience for a lot of customers, but I don’t see long term harm to the desireability of the 4.0 engine. I know I still want mine
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
Rahtok (04-04-2021), UncleDude (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 03:40 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

I wonder how PEC delivery is affected. My date is 5/5, I wonder if they'll reschedule it or let me touch my new baby just to haul her away.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:42 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

As someone who looked hard at the GT3 market before deciding on the Spyder, I see a big difference between these two. The 991.1 GT3 engine was “plagued” with a number of issues, one after another. I’m intentionally using exaggerated language because that seems to match the perspective of most second hand GT3 shoppers in this case. It wasn’t just one specific issue that impacted a specific set of cars over a set period. There were multiple compounding issues that led to Porsche finally adding the 10 year warranty. 991.1 GT3s under warranty haven’t been significantly impacted from a pricing standpoint but it does seem to have limited the buying pool and most folks would prefer the .2 to be “safe”. The 10 year warranties are running out so we will see what the future impact will be.

In either case, at least so far, the 4.0 engine hasn’t had a string of issues enough to damage the credibility of the engine. This is a crappy experience for a lot of customers, but I don’t see long term harm to the desireability of the 4.0 engine. I know I still want mine
My recollection differs somewhat. There were 2 distinct issues with the 991.1 GT3 engines. The first was con rod fasteners, which is somewhat similar to the current 718 GT4 case. There were some car fires, a stop sale of about 6 months duration. All 2014s had engines replaced. Delivered car owners got cash compensation and warranties extended by the duration the cars were out of service. No "10yr warranty" applied at that time. The approach PAG is taking on the 718 GT4 seems comparable.

The finger follower wear issue emerged later. the settlement for that problem was the 10yr/ 120k mi engine internal components warranty.

I don't recall any other significant issues with the 3.8 motors. I had a coolant sensor/ thermostat failure and some others did as well but that was pretty minor.

The current situation is a bad deal and, it's surprising to me Porsche got into something like this again.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 03:42 PM
Garagemahal
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

I am in the undelivered side of this. I received the “Hey Sorry about those crappy Con Rods” email today. I think this is a good start. I appreciate it for what it is and It beats being completely ignored. BUT...there IS a lot yet to be determined and Porsche needs time to roll things along. I am a really big fan of replaced engines for this problem, Frankly I think that is where Porsche is likely to land and if it takes them that extra time period to get there, I am not happy about the delay, but it will mean the validity of these 718s is maintained, maybe even enhanced. BTW: Happy= A$$ in seat, go pedal floored, 4 liters wailing and I ain’t taking the frickin thing in every month for something wonky. [Porsche, if you listening, please send the Swedish bikini team in to wash my car, roll the tires around, caress the leather, and tell it its going to be all right - my car would really, really appreciate it]
The following 2 users liked this post by Garagemahal:
BA73 (04-03-2021), Jeff Jones (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 03:55 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
My recollection differs somewhat. There were 2 distinct issues with the 991.1 GT3 engines. The first was con rod fasteners, which is somewhat similar to the current 718 GT4 case. There were some car fires, a stop sale of about 6 months duration. All 2014s had engines replaced. Delivered car owners got cash compensation and warranties extended by the duration the cars were out of service. No "10yr warranty" applied at that time. The approach PAG is taking on the 718 GT4 seems comparable.

The finger follower wear issue emerged later. the settlement for that problem was the 10yr/ 120k mi engine internal components warranty.

I don't recall any other significant issues with the 3.8 motors. I had a coolant sensor/ thermostat failure and some others did as well but that was pretty minor.

The current situation is a bad deal and, it's surprising to me Porsche got into something like this again.
Totally agree with everything you said which is why I don’t think the current 4.0 issue alone will have a long term impact on the desirability of the cars or the resale. Assuming we don’t continue to see other issues which I have no reason to believe we will. It is still enough to **** off all of us going through it, but I’m not worried about resale.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Not sure I follow the GT3 motor had a single issue. Porsche invited some of us to the ATL center paid for hotel/airfare and we met the engineers and they specifically showed us the problem, and we all had a fun track day. My car was only delayed no issues it was a 2015. Time to sell, and buyers will shy away from a car with a engine replacement that just what it is when you can find a clean car. Read up on the GT3 replacement thread it’s helpful.

Last edited by Maverick787; 04-03-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Jeff Jones (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

It sounds like they took care of you which is awesome and I have read through that thread. First as research and then again to commiserate now that I have my own version of it. I certainly don’t want to perpetuate incorrect information and you are closer to it than I am. For me, I’m not concerned about resale in this case, but I almost always trade into a dealer for whatever I have fallen in love with next.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:18 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

It sounds like they took care of you which is awesome and I have read through that thread. First as research and then again to commiserate now that I have my own version of it. I certainly don’t want to perpetuate incorrect information and you are closer to it than I am. For me, I’m not concerned about resale in this case, but I almost always trade into a dealer for whatever I have fallen in love with next.
A bunch of GT3 owners sent a letter to Porsche about the cars issues and they responded, and they invited us to the center which was cool. However we pushed it, and the branded cars went for less on trade from dealers. Some kept because of the 10 year warranty which is out in a few years. I don’t think a replacement is a big deal, but would you buy if you had a choice something to consider. I purchased a Ferrari that had a panel repainted and you would never be able to tell, but in disclosure they gave me a good deal ......guess what when I traded I had to give a good deal lesson learned.
Jeff Jones (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

If you asked me right now if I wanted to pay MSRP for a new car or a new car with a rebuilt or replaced engine, all things being equal, I know what I would pick every time. That’s an inescapable truth and everything else is just me trying to make myself feel better
afisherunc (04-04-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 04:38 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,880 Likes on 2,191 Posts

Seems like the vast majority of these cars are undelivered and as such they’ll be no branding and no affect on resale. Will take someone intimately familiar with the brand to research back and attempt to discern VIN ranges.

The delivered cars will be documented with a warranty RO.
UncleDude (04-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4