Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021 | 02:43 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

The only way this will become a long-term issue is if some engines fail outside of the recalled VINs, or if some people with rebuilt engines experience failures after the repair.

Otherwise, issue detected and fixed, case closed, no one will care and it will be forgotten by next year.

All the examples you're listing are of manufacturing defects that were not the subject of prompt recall action by the manufacturer. I.e. Acura did not issue a recall for the snap ring defect and so owners are left to wonder whether they will suffer from it down the road or not. I don't see any evidence that will be the case here.

Last edited by Tief Lernen; 04-04-2021 at 01:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 03:02 AM
OS10 BLU Spyder
Track Day

Originally Posted by johnycarrera
The above 3-6 month delay is a really sore one! I hope it’s nothing like that!

people in Scotland (my country) are already taking delivery of post 4th March build date unaffected cars!

im beyond angry now that they are getting do drive around in theirs when we’ve got no resolution and potential huge delays!

no offer of a loan car in fact **** all but silence 🤬
This is super frustrating, I feel your pain, at 3-6 month 2022 model year cars will be being delivered before we get our cars (I’m also in Scotland). The last I heard from my OPC’s sales manager, was Porsche (centrally) at this stage don’t feel the need to offer any form of good will gesture. The OPC have been good though, asking if there is anything they can do, but they are limited in what they can do, it’s not like they have an abundance of cars in stock (or any). To say the communication from Porsche has been poor is an understatement, it’s been non-existent.
The following 3 users liked this post by OS10 BLU Spyder:
afisherunc (04-04-2021), johnycarrera (04-04-2021), Z06jerry (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 08:55 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
BTW Last time the rear window was glass. This time plastic so keeping the top down mostly.
Slight derail, so 981 Spyder has glass window and 718 has plastic?
jeanrabelais (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 09:17 AM
Makers
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
The only way this will be come a long-term issue is if some engines fail outside of the recalled VINs, or if some people with rebuilt engines experience failures after the repair.

Otherwise, issue detected and fixed, case closed, no one will care and it will be forgotten by next year.

All the examples you're listing are of manufacturing defects that were not the subject of prompt recall action by the manufacturer. I.e. Acura did not issue a recall for the snap ring defect and so owners are left to wonder whether they will suffer from it down the road or not. I don't see any evidence that will be the care.
Exactly!
UncleDude (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 09:54 AM
afisherunc
Instructor

Got the email from Porsche as well, estimating 3-6 months for the fix to be completed. This is for a GT4 that is at the dealership, but not yet delivered. It would be an added bummer on top of this situation to get the car just in time for winter...

Last edited by afisherunc; 04-04-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2021 | 10:11 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by afisherunc
Got the email from Porsche as well, estimating 3-6 months for the fix to be completed. This is for a GT4 that is at the dealership, but not yet delivered. It would be an added bummer on top of this situation to get the car just in time for winter...
sucks and I feel for you guys .......my 2015 GT3 was delayed briefly due the issues with the 2014. Some of the 2014 GT3 owners ha their cars were sitting side in most cases unprotected during the stop sell. Ask the dealer to store you car in a covered area.
Ale_72 (04-10-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 10:18 AM
afisherunc
Instructor

Car sitting idle for 3-6 months. Should we be ensuring they are cranking it and at least getting the fluids moving once in a while?
Old 04-04-2021 | 10:33 AM
8haggis
Instructor

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
Mine arrived at the dealer March 17th. I was told it was subject to a stop sale and I couldn’t have it. He was told his had arrived and he could pick it up March 20th. He asked if it was subject to the stop sale and was told no. Morning of March 20th he was told it wasn’t at the dealer. It was loaded on the truck at the port earlier that week, marked as on the truck and shipped to the dealer, and the dealer assumed it was on the lot. They were incorrect. It wasn’t at the dealer because they pulled it off the truck at the port and didn’t ship it to the dealer because of the stop sale.
So they detailed mine and put it on the floor at the dealer. His was supposed to wait for the fix at the port.
Well guess what showed up at the dealer in the last couple of days and is now sitting on the showroom floor? His car.

The plan is to do the repairs at the dealers?
So now we have 2 notifications out from PCNA: 1. Delivered cars get new engine starting on May 23rd. 2. Port cars get something done within the next 3-6 months.
I got the second notice, but my car is at the dealer like yours. I am extremely curious on the timeline for these "purgatory cars". I don't expect the compensation deal, but I also don't expect an engine rebuild plan at the dealer. So are we last in line for drop-in engines? (Number 21, 22, and 23?) Or are we somewhere else in timing and action plan.

Very curious.
Old 04-04-2021 | 10:34 AM
8haggis
Instructor

Originally Posted by afisherunc
Car sitting idle for 3-6 months. Should we be ensuring they are cranking it and at least getting the fluids moving once in a while?
Not in my understanding. Starting and warm-up process is the most stressful to the powertrain. Best to rest with a trickle charger, then crank without ignition for a bit before finally getting it started.
afisherunc (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 11:17 AM
*LongFella81
Instructor

I had the opportunity to stop by the Dealership yesterday (to pick up my GT4 - suspension recall only) and asked about the connecting rod recall... trying to get more definitive answers about fix versus replacement... and they all still didn't know the details. One thing to note, it took a full month for them to get details on the suspension recall fix because each car under that recall had a different scope of repair work to do. I got a copy of my repair order and it literally was "2 Hexagon-head bolt" and "4 Hexagon collar nuts" on the rear passenger suspension...

There was also a Cars and Coffee event. Some of the PCA folks I talked to had no clue and frankly didn't seem to care...

Sorry it isn't much
Old 04-04-2021 | 11:23 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
BTW Last time the rear window was glass. This time plastic so keeping the top down mostly.
Originally Posted by hf1
Slight derail, so 981 Spyder has glass window and 718 has plastic?
I saw that too, I wasn't aware of that, I was pretty sure it was plastic on the 981 as well? Same shape?
Old 04-04-2021 | 11:41 AM
Specracer23
Track Day

Been following this thread as it is the only source of some information. My Spyder was completed March 5 and is due in Halifax Friday. My SA knows sweet FA despite the NHTSA and Transport Canada recall notices. Entering VIN on Porsche recall shows nothing. Is that because it hasn’t landed? The only thing the SA said was the car “was affected”. Strangely enough my VIN for the Spyder ends with 670. Second to last on recall. The NHSTA mentions 190 cars 100% affected by if you total the VIN between the 3 different models the sequence total 240! Does this mean some cars in the range didn’t get the suspect part? What pisses me off most is this lack of communication and transparency on a brand that seems to relish (financially) the brand loyalty of its customer base but then handles it like this. For my SA at this point to still tell me they know nothing is complete bs. And if my car has to sit 3-6 months waiting I’ve lost a model year without any use. Personally, after speaking to a former Porsche master mechanic that serviced my 2001 Ruf TT in my past pre divorce life who feels the lead mechanics who would do the work are certainly capable of it. Porsche will definitely have to compensate me for a lost model year and warranty extension if I’m to consider the re and re of the rods here. Otherwise I’ll order a new 2022 and wait till next spring.

Last edited by Specracer23; 04-04-2021 at 11:55 AM.
fiorentm (04-14-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 11:55 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^^^ While the VINs are numerically sequential, the build dates are not.

Suspect there is a number of cars, like PTS, that have started production and have been held. While not common, you do see cars held couple months at factory during production process.
Old 04-04-2021 | 12:02 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
^^^ While the VINs are numerically sequential, the build dates are not.

Suspect there is a number of cars, like PTS, that have started production and have been held. While not common, you do see cars held couple months at factory during production process.
A friends GT4 had a completion date within the date range but it entered the factory early enough to be ahead of the VIN range specified... he took delivery March 31st and is driving his car now...
Old 04-04-2021 | 12:18 PM
Specracer23
Track Day

My dealer also said 9 cars they are getting/ got have been “ affected”. I’m still baffled that Porsche NA recall website shows no active recalls for my VIN and that why the fix period would be so long if they were doing a re and re at the dealer? Wouldn’t the long timeline seem to indicate an engine swap? I’m sure the dealers don’t want cars sitting there for 3-6 months so if a dealer has 9 cars to redo that timeline seems excessive consider the new connecting rods are available if production is continued on the 2022
just wondering....

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4