Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021 | 04:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Normally I would agree with you on the cascading impact but based on the 3-6 month delay estimate, it feels like Porsche is taking a different approach:

Fix delivered cars as soon as possible for liability and legal reasons. Customers own these cars, they can drive them and experience the problem, engine fire possible, etc. New engines pulled from the line and fixed by May to avoid a really long downtime. If I’m not mistaken, a super extended forced downtime due to recall can trigger lemon laws, etc. They seem to be willing to disrupt normal production for delivered cars...not that many in total.

For undelivered cars where customers are just buyers, not owners yet...take 3 to 6 months to fix to avoid holding up production for everyone else. There is no safety issue / risk here and less legal liability since Porsche still owns these cars (with some exceptions). Sure, it pisses off some customers, but likely fewer than in other scenarios and with people that have less legal recourse.

Hopefully this is still an evolving situation and those of us with a long wait ahead will hear some good news. Honestly not that many options other than walking if you can. And of course making your opinion heard with Porsche in every way possible.
But what you're missing is, if they're saying three to six months, they are obviously not able to get the correctly manufactured parts immediately, because there's no way it would take that long to just repair the cars that are affected. So it is very likely that they have a parts supply issue for current production. Also, it's very likely that they will be diverting some or all of the first good parts to these affected cars. It would be pretty ****ty of Porsche to be building new motors for later production while making current customers wait on parts from the supplier. I can't imagine they'd be doing that, so I can't imagine that this situation isn't having some impact on future production. Also, haven't we been hearing that most dealers have long lists right now anyway? I doubt they're going to put someone to the front of that allocation line just because they don't want to take their car. If I was the person getting bumped down, I'd be pretty pissed off.
Old 04-04-2021 | 04:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by nolmsted
After talking to several Porsche people I have decided a crate engine is all I will accept. I paid 6 figures for a new car not a rebuilt engine that will
hopefully be ok. I have $5000 down I will fight to get it back
Totally your prerogative, but a reassembled motor is not a rebuilt motor. Porsche could have, and probably has, done this at the factory in the past without disclosing it to anyone. Even if they replace parts in the motor, the undelivered cars will still be new cars, with new motors, and full warranties.
The following users liked this post:
IrrationalCPA (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 04:31 PM
nolmsted
Track Day

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Totally your prerogative, but a reassembled motor is not a rebuilt motor. Porsche could have, and probably has, done this at the factory in the past without disclosing it to anyone. Even if they replace parts in the motor, the undelivered cars will still be new cars, with new motors, and full warranties.
If the motors were disassembled at the factory and reassembled that is one thing. To date - no clarification from Porsche is who will do the work at ports or dealers. Motors are put in prior to assembly of car. Now they have to partially disassemble body panels - interior - transmission then reassemble. These are not factory people - how are they trained - what is quality.
just like another person said would you pay $1200 for an iPhone from the factory or $1200 for redone - rebuilt - reassembled phone? I have had car repairs done and the car is never the same. I could be totally wrong but I will look at other options if Porsche will not communicate. Porsche will do fine without my business and I will do fine without their car
Old 04-04-2021 | 04:36 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Speculative discussion with a friend lead us to the conclusion that Porsche will make lemonade with these lemons.

I would expect that Porsche will take these motors, rebuild, and put them in a special run of GT4s. Perhaps, the first run of GT4RS will contain these motors.

Perhaps the blocks will get machined for a 4.2L??? and end up big premium short run GT4 specialty cars.
Old 04-04-2021 | 04:44 PM
psuwcc112
Rennlist Member

Delete

Last edited by psuwcc112; 04-05-2021 at 07:01 PM. Reason: duplicated post
Old 04-04-2021 | 04:59 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

If the motors were an inline six or v configuration, I'd be fine with a repaired engine. In that case, they drop the oil pan, remove the crank, pull out the connecting rods and pistons, replace the connecting rods and reassemble. It's all done through the bottom end and the engine stays in the car.

Because of the configuration of Porsche sports cars, engines are commonly removed and I'm not worried about them removing the engine at the dealership.

What worries me is that the have to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds, remove the cam chains, remove the oil pan and open the block down the middle to access the crankshaft and connecting rods. In the case of a rebuilt engine old parts are replaced with new and parts and surfaces are machined. In this case, the only parts replaced with likely be the connecting rods and perhaps the connecting rod bolts and wrist pins. Nonetheless, we are talking about essentially a complete disassembly and reassembly of the engine. I want an engine assembled by the engine builders in Germany. It's what we ordered and it's what we are paying for.

I agree they've done it at the factory in the past. The operative words are "at the factory."

Last edited by sanderabernathy; 04-04-2021 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Add additional comment.
The following 3 users liked this post by sanderabernathy:
jeanrabelais (04-04-2021), nolmsted (04-04-2021), UncleDude (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 05:08 PM
sassdouille
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
If the motors were an inline six or v configuration, I'd be fine with a repaired engine. In that case, they drop the oil pan, remove the crank, pull out the connecting rods and pistons, replace the connecting rods and reassemble. It's all done through the bottom end and the engine stays in the car.

Because of the configuration of Porsche sports cars, engines are commonly removed and I'm not worried about them removing the engine at the dealership.

What worries me is that the have to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds, remove the cam chains, remove the oil pan and open the block down the middle to access the crankshaft and connecting rods. In the case of a rebuilt engine old parts are replaced with new and parts and surfaces are machined. In this case, the only parts replaced with likely be the connecting rods and perhaps the connecting rod bolts and wrist pins. Nonetheless, we are talking about essentially a complete disassembly and reassembly of the engine. I want an engine assembled by the engine builders in Germany. It's what we ordered and it's what we are paying for.

I agree they've done it at the factory in the past. The operative words are "at the factory."
So, where is the bar then? New engine AND specialized team to swap the engine?
Old 04-04-2021 | 05:12 PM
Gorro47
Intermediate

Hi guys

Just read a bit of this thread, does ppl in Europe getting recalls or just the US market?

I will contact my Porsche center to see if im a lucky one.

Best Regards

Old 04-04-2021 | 05:14 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

But what you're missing is, if they're saying three to six months, they are obviously not able to get the correctly manufactured parts immediately, because there's no way it would take that long to just repair the cars that are affected. So it is very likely that they have a parts supply issue for current production. Also, it's very likely that they will be diverting some or all of the first good parts to these affected cars. It would be pretty ****ty of Porsche to be building new motors for later production while making current customers wait on parts from the supplier. I can't imagine they'd be doing that, so I can't imagine that this situation isn't having some impact on future production. Also, haven't we been hearing that most dealers have long lists right now anyway? I doubt they're going to put someone to the front of that allocation line just because they don't want to take their car. If I was the person getting bumped down, I'd be pretty pissed off.
They are continuing to build cars with 4.0 engines after the recall window, we know that because there are people here with cars built after this window that will be picking up cars soon and over the next few months. There are also delivered and driven impacted cars getting new engines with working parts by May.

We are both speculating, but I don’t see any current evidence of a part shortage that prevents new 4.0 engines from being made to support new car orders at whatever level they had planned on.

There may be a parts shortage to rebuild or repair 1000 engines that have already been built and have left the factory.

What it seems logical to assume is that Porsche has to figure out how to keep a flow of new cars to avoid disrupting the line and new car sales while it also has to fix or replace close to 1000 engines worldwide that it didn’t plan on.

The 3 to 6 month delay could be a parts shortage considering just in time manufacturing practices. Could be logistics of where to repair. Could be training. It is likely all of those things.

It does seem clear to me that they have decided that 1000 really upset customers with delayed (and possibly rebuilt) cars is unavoidable and they are trying to contain the damage there. Makes sense even if it seems unfair. I’m pissed off anyway and there is no changing that. Why **** off even more people by canceling or refusing to fill new orders. Doesn’t make sense for them.

Fill new orders as close to planned levels as possible and find a way to weave in fixes for the recall over the next six months. That’s what I’m taking away from their plan so far.

Last edited by Jeff Jones; 04-04-2021 at 05:15 PM.
johnycarrera (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 05:25 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nolmsted
Motors are put in prior to assembly of car. Now they have to partially disassemble body panels - interior - transmission then reassemble.
You are misinformed. Watch Zuffenhausen factory videos.

Start at 30:00

The following 2 users liked this post by worf928:
P-car-Vancouver (04-05-2021), phefner (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 05:25 PM
ausgang
Racer

How is that likely given there are few allocations available and this issue is likely going to delay regular production as well? If Porsche doesn’t have good con rods for these repairs yet, that means they don’t likely have them for regular production either. And every engine they build as a replacement will delay production of another car. There is no way this doesn’t impact regular production in some way.
We have very few established facts in writing, but aren't you ignoring one of them? In the "Description of Remedy" section of the recall, Porsche's response to the question "Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production" their answer is "March 05, 2021, by means of changeover to the predecessor part." How do you read that? I see it as saying they changed production over effective March 5th --- limiting the scope of the recall to already manufactured vehicles.

Admittedly, it makes me wonder what the "predessor part" was and why there was a change in the first place.
jeanrabelais (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 05:28 PM
unclemat
Pro

3-6 months is ridiculous. All affected people should receive new allocation if the car cannot get new engine dropped in 1-2 months max (+compensation). Even then, new allocation should be offered for anyone who would prefer to go that route. All the undelivered affected cars should get new engines or be repaired, and just go to dealers' stock as new 2021.

Delivered cars should be taken back and sold as used. They all would sell with appropriate discount. Extended warranty on these would be in order.
jeanrabelais (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 05:43 PM
nolmsted
Track Day

Originally Posted by worf928
You are misinformed. Watch Zuffenhausen factory videos.

Start at 30:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtWeYtXXJNU
great video - thanks for sharing that.

i don’t say this often but I was wrong.

Last edited by nolmsted; 04-04-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2021 | 06:03 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sassdouille;[url=[url
tel:17343294]17343294]So[/url], where is the bar then? New engine AND specialized team to swap the engine?
The dealer service department pulls and replaces engines all the time. I have no issue with them doing that.

The GM if my dealer said they rebuild about two a month. I assumed the number was greater. If my engine failed at 30,000 miles and they said “we can rebuild it” under warranty I’d be fine with that.

As this is a new car, I expect a new crate engine built in Germany and installed by the master mechanic at the dealer.

The email yesterday from PCNA announcing the problem and delay said “Our teams in Weissach and Zuffenhausen have passionately engineered and manufactured this special vehicle...” That’s great. Now put an engine manufactured by those teams in my brand new car.

nolmsted (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 06:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Also, haven't we been hearing that most dealers have long lists right now anyway? I doubt they're going to put someone to the front of that allocation line just because they don't want to take their car. If I was the person getting bumped down, I'd be pretty pissed off.
I don't see how those bumped down are any more entitled to a problem-free new car than the equally as innocent yet unlucky 1000 who got caught up in this scenario.

Originally Posted by unclemat
3-6 months is ridiculous. All affected people should receive new allocation if the car cannot get new engine dropped in 1-2 months max (+compensation). Even then, new allocation should be offered for anyone who would prefer to go that route. All the undelivered affected cars should get new engines or be repaired, and just go to dealers' stock as new 2021.

Delivered cars should be taken back and sold as used. They all would sell with appropriate discount. Extended warranty on these would be in order.
^This. Porsche should offer an option to bail out with an immediate new allocation to everyone involved. The cars of those who take this option should be repaired as Porsche sees fit, be put on the market, and be sold at whatever the market will bear. Porsche should cover the losses the dealers incur selling these cars, if any. Those bumped down the allocation lists by the buyers/owners affected by this problem are free to bid for these cars along everyone else. Everybody wins.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4