Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021 | 07:24 PM
ausgang
Racer

Some speculation based upon global supply network practical realities:
RL is global, although the primary user base seems to be based in North America.
Some here in NA are very critical of the estimated wait time for completion of fixes to all undelivered cars within the scope of the recall. PCNA has stated that a mere 20 out of the 190 cars caught up in the recall have been delivered to their owners. Those are clearly the top priority.

But, what about Europe? Those customers take delivery quicker than we do --- being fortunate enough that their new vehicles need not "cross the pond" first on a RoRo and then shipped inland to dealers. That means it is highly likely that a much greater proportion of affected vehicles were delivered to customers in Europe or in markets with shorter delivery lead-times. It would seem to follow that PAG would be focused on any and all delivered cars first, regardless of country or region into which they were sold.

And this may mean that PCNA has to themselves be patient until all the delivered cars worldwide are corrected before they start receiving engines and can go full speed ahead on the remedy for vehicles not yet delivered. One RLer today posted that his delivered vehicle might be addressed within as little as two months according to the PCNA people he is speaking to.

My guess is if one wants to keep their eye on the ball -- we might follow the pace of the response to all those delivered vehicles in Germany and elsewhere in the EU.
The following 3 users liked this post by ausgang:
987SCoupe (04-05-2021), Jeff Jones (04-05-2021), UncleDude (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021 | 07:40 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Clementine33
I should mention that I was given the choice of $4K OR a loaner car.
Depends on the loaner and if you can cycle through them. If I needed a loaner car and I could swap out every month and cycle through all the cars I’m semi interested in but don’t want to buy like a taycan, Panamera, boxster, etc that would be an interesting choice. I have a feeling a taycan is one of those cars that would be cool for a month and then no interest in it ever again so would totally be interested in a long term loaner of that rather than buying one. Nothing wrong with a base boxster for a month in spring or early summer.
Old 04-05-2021 | 07:43 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Totally agree and while I've quoted US numbers in my posts because that is the data that has been shared with me, the problem and their resolution will be global based on when the car was originally built. They have to address delivered cars first because those cars represent way more liability for Porsche AND it is the right thing to do. The more I process this, the more I realize that my expectation that they fix my car with no more than a month delay was an unrealistic pipedream...coming from emotion and not logic. I'm no happier about waiting, but I understand it better.
Old 04-05-2021 | 08:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I think you guys need to be guided/informed by the 991.1 GT3 engine issue w.r.t to the approach that PCNA took... w.r.t timelines, extended warranties, comp etc..
The following users liked this post:
psuwcc112 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021 | 09:09 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by afisherunc
If it helps quell some concerns, my SA suggested not putting much into Porsche's time estimate. They had to provide something and they wanted to be sure it was a timeframe under which they could deliver. It may not be this long. Of course, it may!
Yep.. probably has something to do with that customer service lesson #1: Under promise & over deliver..

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think you guys need to be guided/informed by the 991.1 GT3 engine issue w.r.t to the approach that PCNA took... w.r.t timelines, extended warranties, comp etc..
Yep, and I said as much a week ago.. just set aside a day to read thru the hundreds of pages, LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by saabin:
Jeff Jones (04-05-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021 | 09:56 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
I'd ask for a Taycan Turbo as a loaner and just enjoy a totally different/novel experience for a few months.
Only small problem is you’ll need a 240V outlet in your garage for the charger to make it practical. Otherwise it will take almost day to charge the Taycan on 120V. I have a Cayenne eHybrid and had to get an electrician to install one of those. When we were on holidays it took more than 12 hours to charge the relatively small battery in our Cayenne off a 120 V outlet, which takes only 2 hours off a 240 V outlet.
Old 04-05-2021 | 10:14 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
Only small problem is you’ll need a 240V outlet in your garage for the charger to make it practical. Otherwise it will take almost day to charge the Taycan on 120V. I have a Cayenne eHybrid and had to get an electrician to install one of those. When we were on holidays it took more than 12 hours to charge the relatively small battery in our Cayenne off a 120 V outlet, which takes only 2 hours off a 240 V outlet.
This, plus the chances of getting a $200,000 car as a loaner are pretty long. More likely a three year old Macan.
P-car-Vancouver (04-05-2021)
Old 04-06-2021 | 12:06 AM
RodJob2021
5th Gear

Hi there @UncleDude I’m also in Canada, if you could send me the contact info I’d appreciate it... I cannot figure out how to PM on this system...
UncleDude (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021 | 12:11 AM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
This, plus the chances of getting a $200,000 car as a loaner are pretty long. More likely a three year old Macan.
You aren’t going to get a Taycan Turbo or Turbo S but many dealers have Taycan 4S in their loaner fleet. I was given a 4S as a loaner when my Spyder was delayed at the port and really enjoyed the month I spent with the car. Yes, you need a 240V with the correct plug to get reasonable home charging but most people have a Charge America or ChargePoint station within a reasonable distance which means 20 - 40 minute charge sessions to get you to 80-90%. If you have a Tesla, like we do, then a $200 adaptor will allow you to use your 48A wall charger. You’re also more tuned into how to manage power, use charging stations and avoid range anxiety.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjw930:
AlexCeres (04-08-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021 | 12:21 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RodJob2021
Hi there @UncleDude I’m also in Canada, if you could send me the contact info I’d appreciate it... I cannot figure out how to PM on this system...
I replied to the message you left. I could not PM you.
Old 04-06-2021 | 12:54 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Agreed. I went through the entire thread which informed my assumptions on how they might handle the rest of us. It was nice to see the full arc of that thread all the way to cars being delivered. It will eventually happen!
psuwcc112 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021 | 02:28 AM
lee_337
Instructor

Just got a call today, according to my sales dude, there are 12 cars that are affected in Canada. Being that it’s only 12 cars, and that my car will not be arriving until the end of the month, I am going to wait and see what happens.

If it’s going to take 6 months, and I will be getting a car with a replaced motor, in November, and all of the detriments that come with that, it’s going to be a tough one.

While I do understand that in 2014, the GT3 customers received extra sets of wheels, an extended warranty and some other spiffs, I don’t expect to see the offer for 718 customers to be quite as generous. It’s a different market than in 2014, really, if customers of undelivered cars cancel their orders, it is a benefit to Porsche, as they can fix the cars at their leisure, and they won’t have an issue selling them.

With sales ratios being 20:1 for Macan to sports car, it’s understandable that while important for their image, the sale of my car to me is unimportant to Porsche as a company.

While I am glad that they did the right thing to be upfront, it’s kind of a real bummer as I was looking forward to my new car. In the whole scheme of things, there are other people with real problems. I will continue to enjoy the car I already have.
The following 2 users liked this post by lee_337:
CZ718GT4 (04-06-2021), pleasereset (04-08-2021)
Old 04-06-2021 | 08:18 AM
user1029
Drifting

You guys should demand the 4.0 GT3 motor to be put in the cars
Old 04-06-2021 | 09:09 AM
Specracer23
Track Day

Originally Posted by lee_337
Just got a call today, according to my sales dude, there are 12 cars that are affected in Canada. Being that it’s only 12 cars, and that my car will not be arriving until the end of the month, I am going to wait and see what happens.

If it’s going to take 6 months, and I will be getting a car with a replaced motor, in November, and all of the detriments that come with that, it’s going to be a tough one.

While I do understand that in 2014, the GT3 customers received extra sets of wheels, an extended warranty and some other spiffs, I don’t expect to see the offer for 718 customers to be quite as generous. It’s a different market than in 2014, really, if customers of undelivered cars cancel their orders, it is a benefit to Porsche, as they can fix the cars at their leisure, and they won’t have an issue selling them.

With sales ratios being 20:1 for Macan to sports car, it’s understandable that while important for their image, the sale of my car to me is unimportant to Porsche as a company.

While I am glad that they did the right thing to be upfront, it’s kind of a real bummer as I was looking forward to my new car. In the whole scheme of things, there are other people with real problems. I will continue to enjoy the car I already have.
Your car is due in Halifax April 30? Did your SA tell you a definitive answer as to whether your car is in recall?
Old 04-06-2021 | 09:12 AM
718Spyder2021PDK
Track Day

Unhappy

Originally Posted by lee_337

93 orders in Canada that are affected. Some are on transportation, some at the dealership but all cars are sold to someone. At my dealership 9 orders and 3 received but not delivered. one of the 3 is mine. 2 options will be considered depending on the remedy they will announce: new engine if it doesn't take 6 months or cancelling my order and buying a 2022 model year at the end of the year. No way, i will buy a car to store it for winter...

Last edited by 718Spyder2021PDK; 04-06-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4